The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Flipper Coins - Seeking Guidance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
I own what I believe is a Johnson standard Flipper Half Dollar. It serves it's purpose and is great for certain effects, but limited in other areas. So I'm looking for a flipper coin that will lay flat on the table during a presentation, is high quality, less detectable as a gimmick coin, reliable, and can easily be re-set during a routine (for multiple coin through table repetitions as an example).

Are Pro Gravity non-magnetic flipper coins the best solution for me? If so, what size coin and what brand works best? I suspect that half dollars are best. I prefer Johnson over Tango, but I don't think Johnson makes a gravity coin. And today I was reading about an NG Gravity Flipper by Bob Swadling & Mark Mason which has me really intrigued since it supposedly doesn't even use rubber bands. Can anyone tell me if this is the best solution or not?

And can any flipper coins be examined before or after a routine? I suspect that the magnetic ones may fall into this category, but restrict ones ability to easily re-set them during a presentation.

I would rather invest in quality and reliability then cut corners on price, but I also don't need to go crazy with $200 Silver Line Walking Liberty Coins unless it's absolutely worth it. And is it truly worth the extra money to get re-milled edges when applicable so that grooves aren't detectable?
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
There are a few threads on this very topic that were active within the past week:

Flipper Coin Recommendations http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=202&40

Which Flipper Coin to Get? http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......=202&121

Plus a search will show dozens of similar threads over the past few months.

Jim
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 23:07, gmsmagic1 wrote:
today I was reading about an NG Gravity Flipper by Bob Swadling & Mark Mason which has me really intrigued since it supposedly doesn't even use rubber bands. Can anyone tell me if this is the best solution or not?

I just got my first Swadling NGF and I have to say the quality is excellent. I bought the Triception set, which includes a s***l and a key coin which gives you the advantage of both a magnetic and a non-magnetic flipper with the same set. Although the triception is similar to the Schoolcraft OXF, it is not the same and you can not use it for Jones' Oxy clean routine (at least the way Jones does it). The new band on the NGF is the real selling point for me. Living in a hot climate, rubber bands are not reliable and are always disintegrating on me. Also, the holdouts that come with the Triception set are a great bonus.

Quote:
I would rather invest in quality and reliability then cut corners on price, but I also don't need to go crazy with $200 Silver Line Walking Liberty Coins unless it's absolutely worth it. And is it truly worth the extra money to get re-milled edges when applicable so that grooves aren't detectable?

Remilled edges are the great selling point for Lassen coins (along with having a truly matched set). You can show the coins on their edge and the construction and tolerances are hard to believe on these beautiful coins. If you don't worry about replacing a standard band frequently to insure the coin will work when you want it to work, a remilled Lassen set with sh**l, is definitely the cream of the cream.
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
718 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
All depends on what you are going to use it for. walkaround? Parlor? Magic in the hands? Oxy clean? Liwag coins across? 3 fly stand up?

Each parameter (size of coin, remilled or not, rubberband and or not, uncirculated or soft, magnet or none, etc..) should be selected based on what you expect to accomplish in your routine.
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
IBM Ring 216 Silicon Valley
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
^ Good advice, Cal!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
Thanks for the feedback and links, and sorry for asking some redundant questions that have already been posted in the forum. To be honest, I'm new here and can't figure out how to do a generic search on a specific topic in the forum. On the search screen, it makes you select a specific forum even though there are probably over 50 to choose from, which makes no sense to me. The pop-down menu offers the "all forums" option, but whenever I select this option, it always errors and makes me select a specific forum.

Anyway, I just entered a separate posting that clarifies what I'm trying to accomplish per the advice given above, in the hopes that I might get more tailored guidance.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
^ gm, Welcome! Any trick coins, gaffs and gimmicks will be found under the Trick Coin Trickery category. Just put your Keyword in then scroll down to the Trick Coin Trickery category. I imagine if you put flipper in as your Keyword, you'll find lots of discussion and advice.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Gms, the search code is broken, the coder can't fix it
one can search individual sections, just not the whole Café at once.

go to google and use:

site:themagiccafe.com "term"

example:
site:themagiccafe.com flipper
site:themagiccafe.com wand spin
site:themagiccafe.com Vernon

you get the gist of it
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
Thanks. I'll try this advice.

I also had trouble with my mug shot! I successfully uploaded my picture to this site over a week ago, but it still never shows up on any of my forum postings.

Anyone else have this issue?
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Mods say you need to use a real photo of a person at 100x100 pixels no larger thn 15kb, no animations, animals, or strange avatars.
The mods told me it must be a real image.
I had a few deleted by them.
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
Thanks. I was always using a picture of myself and the file size was never larger then 8kb, which is why I was so perplexed. It turns out that I was overlooking the fact that there is also a maximum dimensions requirement to be satisfied. I guess only "squares" are allowed in this forum! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Flipper Coins - Seeking Guidance (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL