The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Professor's nitemare (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

REV BILL
View Profile
Special user
Glen Burnie Maryland
785 Posts

Profile of REV BILL
I am curious .Who invented the Professor's nitemare and why was it called that? Someone told me it had to do with the patter about grades.
Specializing in Family Entertainment,Gospel,Comedy and Educational programs for over 30 years.(Order of Merlin)
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I believe it was Bob Culver, but the trick was sold with a very long patter script about mathematics and why things can equal each other. We're talking 3 pages legal size. I don't think anyone ever learned the original patter. Gene Gordon sold the trick originally from his Magic shop in New York, he supplied it to all the magic dealer of the time.

In England it was called Equal Unequal Ropes.

Loftus calles it My Favorite Rope Trick.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
There was a professor, who knew the rules of math. That if you take three unequal numbers, add them and divide by three, that you will get an average of the three numbers.
He fell asleep one night and had a dream about three ropes, 6", 12", and 18". He put them together and when he separated them
he saw he had three 12" ropes. This shocked him because he knew you could average numbers, but not solid objects. He was having a nightmare.
He put ropes together again and shook them. This woke him from his nightmare and when he separated the ropes again, they were back to normal.
---Bob Culver and Hen Fetch.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
REV BILL
View Profile
Special user
Glen Burnie Maryland
785 Posts

Profile of REV BILL
Thank you for your help.
Specializing in Family Entertainment,Gospel,Comedy and Educational programs for over 30 years.(Order of Merlin)
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2012-07-27 07:55, magicians wrote:
There was a professor, who knew the rules of math. That if you take three unequal numbers, add them and divide by three, that you will get an average of the three numbers.
He fell asleep one night and had a dream about three ropes, 6", 12", and 18". He put them together and when he separated them
he saw he had three 12" ropes. This shocked him because he knew you could average numbers, but not solid objects. He was having a nightmare.
He put ropes together again and shook them. This woke him from his nightmare and when he separated the ropes again, they were back to normal.
---Bob Culver and Hen Fetch.

Man, times like this you gotta love the Café! The wealth of knowledge floating around here is amazing. Thanks, Ian!

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Brad Sheppard
View Profile
New user
Rogers, Arkansas
69 Posts

Profile of Brad Sheppard
I agree Jim... I am in awe by the great minds in the Café. Thank you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Professor's nitemare (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL