The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Small metal nest of boxes (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I'm wondering if anyone knows a possible manufacturer of a Small (about 2 1/2 " square out side box dimension). 7 boxes with fat sl*d* (that might accommodate a stack of coins or a checker) and tiny red inner bag.

There are 3 indentations on each lid suggesting rubber band or elastic closures (which I don't have).

Thin but strong shiny metal (not aluminum).

Well fitted and well made by my reckoning.

Thanks for any help.

Mary Mowder
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I believe that was a chrome box set sold through Tannen some years ago. I don't believe they are available any longer. I think when I was researching them they are one of the 1st products from India.

I seen them on David Letterman when he had that New York Magician on his show regualarly.

Abbott's Magic makes a painted metal set, that does not use rubberbands. It was an old Abbott trick, very simple method for loading.
http://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Nest-......oryId=-1

From your wording, I take it you have the box set in your position.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Yes, I sent you a P.M.

Thanks Bill.

-Mary Mowder
majickstar
View Profile
New user
Glendale, CA
9 Posts

Profile of majickstar
Mary,
do you still have the Nest of Boxes?

Rich Freeman
www.majickstar.com
Rich Freeman
majickstar
View Profile
New user
Glendale, CA
9 Posts

Profile of majickstar
I'm trying to find the manufacturer of a Small (about 2 1/2 " square out side box dimension). 7 boxes with gimmick. There are 3 indentations on each lid for rubber bands.

I purchased the original set from Hollywood Magic about 45 years ago. I wanted to obtain another set and I saw the set on Abbott's so I purchased it.

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Nest-......oryId=-1

When I received it I found it did not have the gimmick or the indentations for the rubber bands and I tried to use my existing gimmick but there was not enough room in this set of boxes to make it work. I told Abbott and they said they did not know what I was talking about. (obviously this set of "nest of boxes" works differently than mine.)

I was hoping someone knows who manufactures the set of boxes I described or where I might find a set. I would like another set so If I am performing 2 shows concurrently I do not need to re-set.

Any help is appreciated.

(PS I did ask Mary Mowder but she sold her set years ago)

Kind Regards,
Rich Freeman
www.majickstar.com
Rich Freeman
majickstar
View Profile
New user
Glendale, CA
9 Posts

Profile of majickstar
NEST OF BOXES

----> I'm trying to find the manufacturer of a Small (about 2 1/2 " square out side box dimension). 6 or 7 boxes with gimmick. There are 3 indentations on each lid for rubber bands.

I have purchased another set of these boxes but I would like one more.
If anyone has a Nest of Boxes and you are interested is selling it please let me know.

Kind Regards,
Rich Freeman
www.majickstar.com
Rich Freeman
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
The ABBOTT nest of boxes that you mention does not need a "sl+d+"! Did you read the instructions???

I have a Gen Grant "nest of plastic eggs", made about 50 years ago, that "works" quite similar to the Abbott boxes. It is VERY PRACTICAL!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki's "Babushka of Baba Yaga" works without a sl*d* (did I spell that correctly, or is it spelled "sl+d+"?) The Babushka Dolls he uses are available from many muggle sources, and none come with instructions for how to vanish a ring and then get it to appear inside the smallest Babushka doll. For that you just go to The Wizards' Journal #21 and learn the entire routine from beginning to end.
majickstar
View Profile
New user
Glendale, CA
9 Posts

Profile of majickstar
Thank you Dick and Jim
Sorry for the late response I have not visited the site for awhile...
The Abbotts does not need a "sl+d+ but I want the "sl+d+ and I band every box (5 or 6 boxes and a pouch in the smallest box for the Ring.

The Abbotts does not work for me... I bought and sold it. (just not enough WOW factor and I want the participant to open the boxes.
The Babushka Dolls are cute but still... Nothing I have seen or used compares to these boxes... I have 3 sets and need one more because the prep time is about 10 minutes and I want enough for a few sets ready to go.

Thanks for the suggestions.. good suggestions
Rich Freeman
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I sold my nest of Boxes a long time ago. Sorry for the late response.

-Mary
majickstar
View Profile
New user
Glendale, CA
9 Posts

Profile of majickstar
Thank you Mary,
I actually have 2 sets of these one like your description below and one that is painted RED. They were manufactured by different folks over the years. one has 5 boxes (the red) and one has 6 boxes the shiny metal.

Small (about 2 1/2 " square out side box dimension). 7 boxes with fat sl*d* (that might accommodate a stack of coins or a checker) and tiny red inner bag.
There are 3 indentations on each lid suggesting rubber band or elastic closures (which I don't have).
Thin but strong shiny metal (not aluminum).
Well fitted and well made by my reckoning.

I would like another set so if you hear of anyone interested in selling their boxes... probably in storage in the garage. I would like to purchase it.

Thanks
Rich
www.majickstar.com
Rich Freeman
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2018, Mary Mowder wrote:
I sold my nest of Boxes a long time ago. Sorry for the late response.

-Mary

In the 1960s or early 1970s I saw Gene Anderson do the nest of boxes at a birthday party for Ralph Erlewine, who was a Michigander magician friend of his. His version flabbergasted me at the time.

I believe Gene was using the nest of boxes that Mary was inquiring about in 2017.
majickstar
View Profile
New user
Glendale, CA
9 Posts

Profile of majickstar
Actually they were somewhat popular at the time. the set I purchased was RED and the set Mary purchased was silver (reflective Silver surface) I have 2 sets of the Red and 1 Silver.

I want one more. I do multiple shows and the setup takes about 10 to 15 minutes the way I present so I need to have them ready to go.

ANYONE HAVE ONE THEY WANT TO GET RID OF...PLEASE EMAIL OR PM ME

SEE PICTURE EXAMPLE

Click here to view attached image.
Rich Freeman
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2018, majickstar wrote:
Actually they were somewhat popular at the time. the set I purchased was RED and the set Mary purchased was silver (reflective Silver surface) I have 2 sets of the Red and 1 Silver.

I want one more. I do multiple shows and the setup takes about 10 to 15 minutes the way I present so I need to have them ready to go.

ANYONE HAVE ONE THEY WANT TO GET RID OF...PLEASE EMAIL OR PM ME

SEE PICTURE EXAMPLE

Abbott's still sells their metal painted nest of boxes for $300, each box is a different color as it is removed.

https://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Nest......oryId=-1
majickstar
View Profile
New user
Glendale, CA
9 Posts

Profile of majickstar
Thanks for the suggestion Bill. I purchased those from Abbotts and they would not work for me. 300.00
I need to wrap each box with rubber bands and the one I purchased from abbotts did not have enough room for the bands.
They did not come with a gimmick and I called them and they said this set was not the same and there was not gimmick.
I would have made one if the Abbotts boxes were the correct size. I sold the set on ebay for 50.00.
They would not take the return.

I am still looking for another set or two if anyone wants to check their boxes in the garage.

Kind Regards,
www.majickstar.com
Rich
Rich Freeman
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Small metal nest of boxes (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL