The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » dribbling cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gio
View Profile
Loyal user
Genova - Italy
247 Posts

Profile of gio
I'm sorry: this is a very *basic* question, I've tried many many times before posting here, but I've always failed Smile
I'm not sure that "dribbling" is the right term, so I'll try to explain what I can not do (and it should be easy!).
Starting with the deck in the dealing position on the left hand, I'd like to get the deck with the right hand dropping the cards fluently while lifting it, one card by one. What happens every time I try is that the first cards drop one by one, then the cards start to fall in small groups together. What is very annoying to me is that I think this is a very basic action. I can do "harder" things but I can't do this simple one Smile
If you have ever seen the Daryl's sleight videos, my dribbling is just like his one when he says: "not like this"!!!
So, any advice is welcome (where to put fingertips, how to bend the cards, everything).
Thanks.
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
392 Posts

Profile of Daniel Meadows
I just take the deck in Biddle grip (from above in my LH) and use my LH 1st finger to apply slight pressure to the centre of the top card. This will cause a convex bend and should help you to dribble the cards more evenly. Then try to run your fingers and thumb up the narrow sides as evenly as possible.
Cerberus Wallet, Equilibrium, Counterfeit, Deadly Marked Deck, Infamous, Instinct
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
Gio...

Try dribbling the cards in the fashion mentioned below, and see if this will work for you:

As the RH is placed over the deck to take it, grab it with your left thumb at the back, and the middle, ring, and pinky fingers at the front. The index finger should be curled slightly on top of the deck.

Slightly squeeze the deck between your thumb and last three fingers, as you take the deck out of the left hand. This will put a very slight bend in the deck. Remember to keep your index finger curled on the top of the deck.

Now, let the back end of the cards spring off your thumb, and the front ends of the cards will follow. The ends of the deck should be bending upward, as your curled index finger keeps slight pressure of the bend.

Depending on how fast you allow the cards to spring from your thumb, will determine how quickly the cards will dribble into the palm of your left hand. Start with just half a deck, and once you get the 'mechanics' down, add the rest of the deck, and practice with the full deck.

Hope This Helps,
- - Troy
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
gio
View Profile
Loyal user
Genova - Italy
247 Posts

Profile of gio
Thank you very much guys - I can dribble cards now Smile

My two main problems were:
- not keeping the index finger until the end (I slightly bent the card using the index finger but I did not keep the pressure with it)
- putting too much pressure between my thumb and the fingers on the other (short) side of the deck

Practicing with half deck really helped to understand my mistakes.

Gio
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » dribbling cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL