The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Dante Poster - Is it a sole survivor? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

james prince
View Profile
Loyal user
England
233 Posts

Profile of james prince
Dante Poster attached - Is it a sole survivor?

Background - in the 1970s, I picked up an old poster in a sale

At the time I was told it had no particular value

I recently ran into Eddie Dawes at one of my lectures

Eddie is well known in the UK for his deep knowledge of magical history

When we chatted he offered to look into the history of my poster

I now know that it was printed in London, either for Dante's pre-war (1936-39) tour of the UK, or from the post-war one (1946-7). Of the two, I'm led to believe the pre-war one is the most likely

A similar poster was sold in the Christian Fechner auction, in 2006

The poster in the auction is in two pieces the upper two thirds showing Dante and his Stratosphere illusion, the lower third continuing the Stratosphere theme

My poster has an identical top two thirds but the lower third is completely different, bearing the slogan SIM SALA BIM and clearly showing a spirit cabinet style effect

This raises questions –

The first for any Dante enthusiasts must be – Is the lower third a sole survivor?

If it is then how do I make sure that this is in the public domain and forms part of any Dante archive?

The two sections join perfectly but are they one poster or two halves of different posters?
The latter seems unlikely as some forgotten magician has signed the two halves back in the 1950s

Did Dante commission different bottom sections for whatever reason?

Grateful for any information and thoughts

James

Click here to view attached image.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Dante Poster - Is it a sole survivor? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL