The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Ward Hall on Americian Pickers tonight. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Just saw a promo for tonights Americian Pickers and the guys stop by and visit Wald Hall.
abigkahuna/1
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna/1
And they pick up a couple of Homer Tates for a $100 each... Wolfman and a Shrunken Head.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
TATES!!! Now, THAT brings back some memories!

It was early May, 1945.I was 13, and just breaking into the business! (magic) SKERBECK'S CARNIVAL wintered in my home town (ESCANABA MICHIGAN). WWII was "on" and there was an excellent machine shop in Escanaba. Old "dad" Skerbeck had owned a circus in Germany. He had brought it to the U.S., long before the war, and it "morphed" into a carnival. Spare parts for rides were virtually non existent. The machine shop kept the show on the road!

Dad Skerbeck always opened the season in Escanaba. I walked on the lot and this season, Dad had booked a little pit show. The MGR's ancient band organ (wooden horses! imported from Germany) cranked up and the season began.

I walked up to the ticket box. A "young" middle aged lady was in the box I asked for professional recognition. She looked down at me, smiled, and said, "Go right in."

It was a 40 foot round top. The banner line was about 50' and it was somewhat generic! Inside was a pit and a young fellow began the show. The pit was about 30' long and took up about a third of the top. The man reached into a crate and held up a 6 or 7' bull snake. He did the "standard" snake lecture. Next, he directed our attention to a little glass covered casket in which reposed a "dead" two headed infant. It was a pickled punk from TATE'S!!! --But, it wasn't pickled!

Next in this "museum" was a "shrunken head". (Yep, TATE's) Finally, he worked his way through a couple of magic props (an Abbott Square Circle and a Disecto. There were a few other items, but, I've long forgotten what they were.

I thanked the lady as I left. She said that her husband had the show "next door". The single banner advertised: "Caesarean Birth". I met Charlie Fretz, and I was welcomed as though I was a veteran carnie!

I visited the show every night (school was still in session) and we got better acquainted. He needed a better crate for the bull snake. I brought him a "nice" wooden box from my dad's warehouse. Charlie reciprocated! He gave me a set of P&L Rice Bowls, and an Abbott "production box".

I was in SHOW BUSINESS! As Bob Hope used to say: "Thanks for the memories!"
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Quote:
On 2013-06-04 02:39, abigkahuna/1 wrote:
And they pick up a couple of Homer Tates for a $100 each... Wolfman and a Shrunken Head.

I believe that was all a set up for the show and never REALLY happen.Just my two cents on it.

Great story Dick...thanks for shareing...
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I was watching the show then I got distracted. Does anyone remember if they bought that Chicago set spindle joint, and what they paid for it?
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Ward said to me that he mad some coin from the visit. BUT I don't know if that meant he got to keep his things or not, eIther way it was fun to watch.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Dick, do you know what ever happened to the old band organ?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Quote:
On 2013-06-04 14:29, DonDriver wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-04 02:39, abigkahuna/1 wrote:

I believe that was all a set up for the show and never REALLY happen.Just my two cents on it.

Don, you are very correct. I have been on a couple of these "reality" shows. Most of the drama is set up by the producers to make for a more entertaining presentation. For example, on "Oddities" they "sell" items and "buy" them. Usually they are already purchased. sometimes no money is ever transacted, just a little haggle of price. Eh, who REALLY cares? The coin Ward got was from the show, not the sales.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Yup Ward made some money from the producers and nothing was really sold. That's reality TV for you. A number of the items on the show Oddities that were "bought" and "sold" came from my collection. And after a day of shooting, they came back to my collection.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Ward Hall on Americian Pickers tonight. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL