The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Review: Beyond the Veil by Franklin (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I've only got three small gigs over christmas, so I don't think i''l be able to order it...

i like the way he's done it though, maybe more full-timers should do it that way...
I've asked to be banned
The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
702 Posts

Profile of The Paranormalist
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2016, cheesewrestler wrote:
I'm just passing along the information on the website. When you get to the ordering information, it says "Provide proof that you are a performing mentalist."

Would it help if I rephrase this by saying "Not for the merely curious and those that want to know the secrets of the art that we practise, love and earn a living from?"

Yes of course it is for sale to magicians as well as mentalists, a trapeze artist would find it pretty useless! And by using the term 'performing' I'm alluding to only those that will make use of the contents of my book and want to take their performance to higher levels, hence the title 'Beyond the Veil'.

I hope this clears things up.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3235 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I think anyone interested in taking their performing to the next level will get some value from what Franklin writes, whether for the magician or mentalist. These is excellent advice here from one who really knows the business, both performing-wise and marketing.
The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
702 Posts

Give yourself a pre-Christmas present, if anyone is interested in my book 'Beyond the Veil' and is sitting on the fence due to the shipping charges. Between now and the New Year for the next two weeks I will stand the world wide shipping cost.

You can find all the details you need on my web site page: http://themindmagician.co.uk/beyond-the-veil

The book consists of 196 A4 pages, 14 chapters of routines and essays together with a CD Rom with all the necessary artwork.

You pay just the cost of the book with free shipping.
The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
702 Posts

I just saw this totally unsolicited video testimonial on Youtube for my book 'Beyond the Veil' which was purchased last week at the Blackpool Magic Convention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwK7Zq94zCs&feature=youtu.be

I certainly wasn't expecting the review and to put it mildly, it left me speechless and blew me out of the water.
phel
View Profile
New user
Germany
6 Posts

Profile of phel
I originally got in touch with Franklin after buying his lecture notes "Mentalism Into the 80s" not too long ago. There was very good material contained so I looked out for his other writings and luckily, stumbled upon "Beyond the Veil".

It's a remarkable book! Written by someone who obviously loves and perfected the art.

The first pages (after a foreword by Ali Cardabra and the author's preface) will get you in the right mood with a nice collection of pictures of different stages of Franklin's career. What follows is a great mixture of hard-hitting routines, thought-provoking essays and a wealth of practical advice and tips.

It starts with an essay about the importance of how you wish to call yourself, and what it takes to present and perform good mentalism. Very good advice there. Then you'll find a very simple, yet very practical and inconspicuous method to obtain a glimpse of a business card (which I'll combine with Marc Spelmann's p**k in Business Confidential). Followed by methods (for stage and close-up) to send thoughts and get them visualised by your volunteers - which can be presented on its own, or could be used for other demonstrations. Three detailed chapters (a small masterclass!) about picture decks, where Franklin shares his twists, different handlings, presentations and uses, and how to make up your own long-lasting sets. A very clever booktest/drawing duplication. Then there's an incredible numbers routine where you predict the total of three different three digit numbers (rightly praised by Marc Paul). A splendid remote viewing demonstration with postcards and some really good additional thoughts on how to present it as a prediction and reveal it in the most impressive way possible. An essay about playing cards in mentalism (includes a very nice memory demonstration with multiple freely chosen and shuffled cards). Everything you need to know to perform and play "The Pebble Game" - which will be of great interest to anyone who is looking for an affordable and foolproof (no electronics) solution. Two showstoppers (Air Tight Confabulation and A.C.A.A.N.) that need the help of an assistant, and act as an example for this kind of work. Last but not least, the fantastic "Tuning In Updated" - a very direct mindreading routine with multiple volunteers and thought-of objects.

On top of that, the book concludes with a very useful chapter regarding the business side.

These are all audience-tested and refined professional routines. Everything is explained in detail, with all the important presentational aspects, subtleties and nuances. I especially like the fact that Franklin gives us the history and his train of thought behind most of the routines.

My favourites? I honestly LOVE everything! But "Tuning In Updated", "Analytical Calculations", "A Force Of One" and the memory demonstration are the most appealing ones for me, at this moment in time.

I HIGHLY recommend this book!
Winnes
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Winnes
If anyone is looking for a post-Christmas gift to themselves, I would highly recommend this. There's not much I can add to the high praise that has already been rightly given, but there's a few routines I particularly love in this book. "Analytical Calculations" is a brilliant version of a numbers/maths based effect with no maths actually involved and a completely logical and entertaining premise and presentation. The effects using picture decks are also excellent and I'll certainly be making these up shortly.

The thoughts and additional bits and pieces outlined in these effects, and the whole book, are great to read and I enjoyed reading the evolution of some of the routines. The "Pebble Game" particularly has this and it is, in my opinion, a better version of a marketed item that came out around 6 years after this book was published and I will be switching to Franklin's method..

All in all, this is an excellent book that I would definitely recommend that anyone looking for some practical routines doesn't overlook.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Review: Beyond the Veil by Franklin (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL