The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » WANTED Cool paint jobs for block thru glass penetration tubes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I am looking for pictures or suggestions of cool paint job ideas for the tubes and block for the block through glass effect.
I have a small set that was repainted rather poorly, blue with yellow center stripe and red block. Both tubes same color.
I do not mind the design or colors but whoever did it, rushed it and it was in need of restoration. I have removed that layer and noticed a blue sparkle paint was the original but I could not save it. At times it looked like green or aqua sparkle paint but the chemical remover might have changed the blue?

Honestly, I do not mind the sparkle paint. It seemed like it would be fun

However, I know the magic community frowns on flashy "magicy" paint now a days.

I am seeing ideas for a universal paint job. I figured some might ask, what my character is, or who my audience is. I wear many hats so would like to give it a quality look.

I am a fan of finished wood. However I am not so sure the wood used with the joining method is quality enough. Plus it is a little stained from the base paint and not sure it would sand fully out. Plus the joining method was just nailed butt joint, no glue. I with stripping I noticed a crack in one panel and glued that and the joints. So it will live on but think it has to be stained dark or painted.

I think the red block is visual enough. Maybe yellow is better?

But as far as the tubes, I first liked the idea of a walnut stain with a gold/copper/ or brass trim to hide the seams with corner caps. The issue here is that the corner caps could create a gap which really should not be there and might give something away (if you know the effect you know why I say this.)
I also did not know if I could find the right size brass L trim for the sides.

The reason to go darker on the tubes would be to enhance the block visibility when only seen through the hole in the side.

I am toying with an idea of a hammer paint. I could get hammered copper/black/ blue but not sure what the block color would be. Copper might be too bright to show off the block.

I wonder how I can use color for fun, but still appeal to adults. That is, be colorful but less grade school primary? One time I remember there an iridescent paint for car wheels, sort of like oil slick of the paint world. Different angles you would see the color change. I do not know if they make that anymore.

I would enjoy your idea and even links to photos of cool finishing ideas.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
A few different ones that I have done…

~michael baker
The Magic Company
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
They are all nice in their own right. I like to see the variety,. Last one has a traditional look I have seen. The diamond one is what like Art Deco? Asian and Victorian ones are nice but seem to be more custom for a theme and I am trying to see how generic I can be.
I will say it did confirm to me the one concern I had with the all wood look. Just seems to be missing something and why I was thinking trim. I know the tubes are not the focus but still looking at the options. One could argue all black is best to be sure they see the block.
WOW your holes are HUGE. Guess no issues seeing the cube move with yours. (BTW do you make to sell or just make them for yourself?) The ones on the one I have are tiny in comparison but fit the size of the tube.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
BTW
I have noticed many tubes come in two colors. Is there a reason for this other for the magician so he doe snot mix up the tubes? I know the person who slopped on the glossy spray paint on my set made both tubes the same and that was my first exposure. But then I did grab the wrong tube once in a live show, which you know what problem I encountered.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Doe snot will definitely screw up a magic trick.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Yeah I did not think so but did wonder if there was a reason it might benefit the audience I recall like "I know he put the cube in the red tube , it went through the glass and came out the red tube." That is, I had wondered why many commercial tubes are two different colors or designs. I am now guessing it was due to just helping magicians keep track.
I am still thinking of what else I can do. It would be much easier if I had theme but since I do not, it makes the possibilities endless.
I am still thinking of interesting painting techniques that might give the tubes some depth.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Bought this trick as a kid.
How do you perform this? I mean what is the premise of your routine?
I could never really come up with anything I liked so never performed it much.
It just seemed like a puzzle to me, and then it can't be examined to boot.
Do many performers actually do this or is it mainly a collector's piece?
Bill
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The red and black set with the contrasting diamond pattern was made for me a bit ago (third set from the top). They are beautiful. I had Michael make the block with a hole in it for a block-off-cord trick (remember that old one too).

This is a magical and impossible penetration of a solid block of wood through a solid plate of glass (plastic or wood). it is the magical property of the block. It can be droped on a length of rope and be caused to stop anywhere, it can penetrate off the rope, then it can dissolve and melt through the plate of glass. It can even vanish at the end of it all.

A puzzle? I guess it could be. But then any magic trick can be thought of as a puzzle at the end of the day. I actually perform this using my Michael Baker prop.

In terms of venue. I have a Victorian/Dickensonian theme act I use it in. It has been performed mainly in house parties and a small venue theater during the holiday season. The audience is mixed (family but primary adults).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
While I would rather this be kept a discussion on paint jobs as this is a workshop forum. I will say it surely can be examined. The tubes are shown empty before and after and it is the exact same block you can hand out before and after.

Is there a think bass edging that can be purchased in lengths? Gold in stripe comes to mind but wondering if there is a metal trim either nail glue or stick on.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
K&S metals displays are often found in better hardware store (not home improvement stores).

Another source: http://www.micromark.com/metal.html
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On 2013-08-04 22:07, Harry Murphy wrote:
The red and black set with the contrasting diamond pattern was made for me a bit ago (third set from the top). They are beautiful. I had Michael make the block with a hole in it for a block-off-cord trick (remember that old one too).

This is a magical and impossible penetration of a solid block of wood through a solid plate of glass (plastic or wood). it is the magical property of the block. It can be droped on a length of rope and be caused to stop anywhere, it can penetrate off the rope, then it can dissolve and melt through the plate of glass. It can even vanish at the end of it all.

Harry, I understand the hole in the block for the block-off-cord effect, but are you saying that Michael also made this into an obedient block effect as well? If so, that would be an incredible routine...I can also easily imagine the vanish using a large scarf with a w*r* fr**e sewn inside.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
No Michael built the prop and did a second block with a hole. I later added a little something to make it an obedient block. I just couldn't leave well enough alone.

There are times that I simply perform the trick as designed (block through plate). A little dramatizing the props and it plays.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Great thinking. I love it when a simple prop like a block of wood becomes the central focus of an entire act.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Alright, Harry... now let's see you find a cool way to go from yellow block to yellow die, or vice versa. Then you can tie your Die Box in with the rest!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
More great thinking Michael. I know it would be a costly set, but imagine a cohesive set of props that use the "same" block, as it travels from one effect to the next. Die Box, Block Through Glass, Block Off Cord, Vanishing Block...could be an entire act with one delightful block of wood.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
What other paint techniques or outthere to be generic but modern and not too "magicy"
ie elegant
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Many Many Years ago, when Norm Nielsen had his 1st magic build business in Minnesota, he created a product line of OP (Optical) Art pieces. The old black and white square curved designs of the 1960's. Very cool looking.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » WANTED Cool paint jobs for block thru glass penetration tubes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL