The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Blindsight Outdone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Art Vanderlay
View Profile
Special user
All I Read Was Corinda And Now I Have
642 Posts

Profile of Art Vanderlay
I purchased this today since I am a big fan of the original effect. The blurb was very tempting and as usual, Devin does not tell porkies in his advertisements.

The "new" method isn't really a new method if you are expecting some fancy subtlety that works 100% of the time. Devin uses a classic method to achieve this effect and is only "new" in so far as it has not been used in Blindsight before. The method requires a very tiny ammount of extra work during performance but that isn't really a problem.

Now that's over with I can get down to the nitty gritty...

The new Blindsight is pretty much what I expected it to be, method wise. The presentation is essentially the same but the advantage of being able to show the spectators the envelopes as you write the colours on them is a huge advantage. Also, the "best case scenario" ending is always used too.

The thing is, I always used the "best case scenario" ending with the original Blindsight anyway, you just needed to be a little extra careful at the end. Thus time though, everything can be examined afterwards.

So these are the improvements:

1. Colours are written on the envelope that the spectator selects - I like this a lot
2. The "best case scenario" ending is always used - I did that already
3. Everything is examinable afterwards - Nice for magicians guilt but very rarely needed at all in the original if handled properly

Is this worthy of an extra $15???

I would say Yes. People who own the original Blindsight probably wont get too much from this save the "new" method but all in all it is a nice update to the original effect.

Personally I don't think that Improved Blindsight should have been released since anyone who has performed Blindsight enough will have come to the same, if not very similar, conclusions, however that is a separate release.

I still think I will stick to the original Blindsight due to personal reasons of handling, but anyone who likes the original and is interested in seeing Devin's new take on this should pick it up as soon as possible.

Out of ten I would give this and eight.

Cheers
Art
THE MAN WHO CONTROLS THE ELEMENTS!
Synesthesia
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of Synesthesia
The prediction ending feels a bit redundant in this version -- since the performer calls out the order of the colours, he has already essentially demonstrated that he "knew which one you'd choose last". I'm sure it still plays well in performance, but still, that aspect of the presentation feels less elegantly designed than the original.
magicandsoul
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of magicandsoul
Quote:
On 2013-10-02 16:18, Synesthesia wrote:
The prediction ending feels a bit redundant in this version -- since the performer calls out the order of the colours, he has already essentially demonstrated that he "knew which one you'd choose last". I'm sure it still plays well in performance, but still, that aspect of the presentation feels less elegantly designed than the original.

To be fair....the magician may very well be calling out the colors, thus "knowing" which color would be last...however, the punch is in that the spectator chooses which envelope will be last. That's a psychological double hit.

M&S
Synesthesia
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of Synesthesia
Quote:
On 2013-10-03 09:38, magicandsoul wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-10-02 16:18, Synesthesia wrote:

To be fair....the magician may very well be calling out the colors, thus "knowing" which color would be last...however, the punch is in that the spectator chooses which envelope will be last. That's a psychological double hit.

M&S

Sure -- but, again, by calling out the colour yellow last and getting the final envelope, you have essentially already demonstrated that you knew they'd choose the envelope with the yellow card last. I agree though that psychologically it probably still has some punch when performed -- I just don't think it holds up to as much scrutiny. It's not really an "additional" revelation since they've already chosen the correct envelope for the last colour, and they didn't choose which colour would be last on the list. So "you chose this envelope for Yellow" and "you chose this envelope last" are the same thing.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
The prediction in the last envelope reads: I knew you would keep this envelope for last. It does NOT read you kept the yellow for last. That wouldn't fool anyone.

The performer calls out the colors and ask the spectator to hand him the envelope he thinks that contains that color. The performer has NO control over which envelopes and in what order the spectator hands them to him. THEREFORE, HE OR NO ONE ELSE COULD HAVE KNOWN WHICH ENVELOPE WOULD BE THE LAST ONE THE SPECTATOR WOULD PICK UP. The fact the last envelope has that note in it is a killer ending that blows people away.
Synesthesia
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of Synesthesia
Quote:
On 2013-10-03 13:07, Devin Knight wrote:
The prediction in the last envelope reads: I knew you would keep this envelope for last. It does NOT read you kept the yellow for last. That wouldn't fool anyone.

I know that. I still think you're missing my point.

Quote:
The performer calls out the colors and ask the spectator to hand him the envelope he thinks that contains that color. The performer has NO control over which envelopes and in what order the spectator hands them to him. THEREFORE, HE OR NO ONE ELSE COULD HAVE KNOWN WHICH ENVELOPE WOULD BE THE LAST ONE THE SPECTATOR WOULD PICK UP. The fact the last envelope has that note in it is a killer ending that blows people away.

As I've said every time, I do not doubt that it works in performance and gets a good reaction. I'm just saying it seems to lack a certain internal logic, which is something I also care about.

As you said, nobody could know which envelope would be chosen last. Nobody could know which envelope would be chosen for any of the colours. And yet all were chosen correctly according to an order of colours dictated by the performer. Total accuracy has already been demonstrated, so the prediction does not really reveal anything new. Once the colours are revealed to be correct, then "order" is no longer a variable, since order was set by the performer. It is not possible to have the colours correct but the order incorrect.

Compare this to the original, where the spectator chooses each envelope then chooses a colour for it. In that version, the final prediction is something new, because the colours could have been chosen in any order -- it's a separate variable. Once the colours have been revealed as correct, there is still no guarantee that the performer knew the order in which they would be chosen -- so the finale is a much more meaningful addition.
lorenzo
View Profile
New user
Italy
14 Posts

Profile of lorenzo
Hi! a question for mr knight but not only. is it possible to perform this new version on stage without having the participant joining you but still sitting in the audience? I mean, can it be performed as a pure stage effect?

lorenzo
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Quote:
On 2013-10-04 08:11, lorenzo wrote:
Hi! a question for mr knight but not only. is it possible to perform this new version on stage without having the participant joining you but still sitting in the audience? I mean, can it be performed as a pure stage effect?

lorenzo

Not recommended. There is a platform version included, but the strong point is that the participants holds all 4 envelopes and hands them to you in any order and then retains the last one. For the strongest ending the spectator needs to remove the prediction slip from the envelope and read it. There is nothing wrong with inviting a person to come forward on stage and help with the effect. In the same aspect, it would be difficult to do a mentalism act with everyone sitting in the audience unless the performer left the stage and went out into the audience.
rjbullock
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of rjbullock
The original is better in my opinion. Yes, it has weak points, but one of them is NOT that you have to be holding a stack of "extra" envelopes in your hand. Plus, if I can be frank, the method behind the new version is so blatantly obvious to me, I spotted it *instantly*. I won't say that spectators will as I've used the same method for all sorts of "matching" effects with no problem. Usually I just use a stack of business cards, no envelopes.

Anyway, I guess for some this version is an improvement but in my eyes, the original was truly original and, as Synesthesia points out, there isn't the flaw in internal logic with the "last card chosen" prediction. Incidentally, I leave that part out. I think the prediction *weakens* the overall affect. Think about it: if someone can detect the location of four items they can't see accurately (which has odds of 1-in-24) what is so special about you guessing a 1-in-4 possibility?
rjbullock
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of rjbullock
Oh, wait, I correct myself... You DO have to be holding a few extra envelopes in the original of course. The point I should have made is that you can set them aside after all the selections have been made as they're not integral to the method at that point.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S13948

Is blindsigt 2.0 the same as Improved Blindsight?

Thnaks
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Nevermind. I found out.
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
And what, may I ask, did you discover?!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
The latest greatest is the improved blindsight.
mentalboy
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of mentalboy
Of course, the Ultimate is a matter of opinion, isn't it? I prefer the original Blindsight and think of Al Baker's wise saying every time I see an improvement.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Mr Boy, I mentioned the latest greatest... Not the ultimate.

But when it comes to Ultimate my Ultimate Positive Negative is the ultimate... No opinion.

Thank you for your time, and I hope... Your money!
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Thanks John!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Lybrary has it for less than anyone.
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Have always liked this effect. It is the best of Devin Knight imo.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Blindsight Outdone (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL