The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Imagination Coins (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I performed the effect for some family today and it went over great. A couple of the older (teens) try to catch me all the time but in no way shape or form caught the fact that they were handing me a gaff. No special attention to it makes it go over smoothly - "Don't run if you aren't being chased"

I am going to have a lot of fun with this one. The amazing thing is, for a relatively inexpensive (gaff and routine) - It plays just as strong as many of my (way more expensive) gimmicked routines.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2014, videoman wrote:
When I use Ikes I take the coin from their hand and openly place it in my other hand rather than the spec placing it in my hand.
Doesn't seem to make a big difference to the end result.

I have also found that it can be harder to get away with allowing them to leave their hand open during the various phases. I have them close it to insure they don't notice anything prematurely.
Also, in my routine I only use 3 coins rather than 4, and with Ikes because of the extra size and thickness, there is a huge difference between a stack of 2 and a stack of 3.

I think you solved my problem. Thank you.

I don't understand what you mean with that last part though. If there's a huge difference between 2 and 3, wouldn't you want to use more coins? Puzzled.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2014, writeall wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2014, videoman wrote:
When I use Ikes I take the coin from their hand and openly place it in my other hand rather than the spec placing it in my hand.
Doesn't seem to make a big difference to the end result.

I have also found that it can be harder to get away with allowing them to leave their hand open during the various phases. I have them close it to insure they don't notice anything prematurely.
Also, in my routine I only use 3 coins rather than 4, and with Ikes because of the extra size and thickness, there is a huge difference between a stack of 2 and a stack of 3.

I think you solved my problem. Thank you.

I don't understand what you mean with that last part though. If there's a huge difference between 2 and 3, wouldn't you want to use more coins? Puzzled.

I use 3 because I have other routines that use 3 that I may or may not do along with IC.
So it seems suspicious to add a 4th coin into the mix and not really do anything with it.
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Got it. Thanks again.
TravisNye
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of TravisNye
I absolutely love imagination coins. In my opinion the final part is a bit ballsy but so far I have not been caught on it. I would have never thought to have given the spectator the gimmick to actually hold onto. I however now perform it with half dollars. I try and perform all my coin routines with halves, it would just look odd to go from halfs to quarters or visa versa. Imagination coins is in my top 5 out of pocket effects.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2014, TravisNye wrote:
I try and perform all my coin routines with halves, it would just look odd to go from halfs to quarters or visa versa. Imagination coins is in my top 5 out of pocket effects.

I would agree to a point but there are ways around it. Firstly, I would open with this and borrow the quarters. have 3 that match your gimmick in your own hand along with some random change like you are even short. If you get enough from them that match your gimmick - good to go, if not, just switch in a couple of yours and you are off and running with a great "impromptu" effect using "borrowed" coins. After this effect give back some quarters and pull out your halves to do your next few effects (you can even explain "the halves will be easier for everyone to see" and your size switch is covered). Just a thought but I am planning on using this as an impromptu opener and maybe bringing in my Triception in quarters next for close up work.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2014, TravisNye wrote:
I absolutely love imagination coins. In my opinion the final part is a bit ballsy but so far I have not been caught on it. I would have never thought to have given the spectator the gimmick to actually hold onto. I however now perform it with half dollars. I try and perform all my coin routines with halves, it would just look odd to go from halfs to quarters or visa versa. Imagination coins is in my top 5 out of pocket effects.

I don't feel that having the specs handle the gimmick is all that ballsy, to me the ballsy part is the discrepancy of leaving them with a different number of coins (than what they believe) in their open hand (twice no less) for them and everyone else to plainly see, and not just for a brief moment but for a considerable length of time.

When I viewed the demo for IC this is what made me buy the DVD. I wanted to see how Garrett handles the psychology of this and what outs he may use in certain situations if anyone ever notices the discrepancy prematurely and happens to mention it. I have long performed a somewhat similar coins across in the specs hands, but mine is more like Eric Jones' where I cover angles with my hands so the specs can't get a good look of what is left in their hand. So I was primarily interested in the audience management that Garrett uses on this so I could possibly adopt that and perform my routine more openly.

But I was disappointed that with the 2 hours of rambling and covering everything under the sun he never directly talks about this obvious issue. Eric Jones does describe his method of using his hands and body to cover sightlines, but Garrett's routine is of course different than Eric's and is performed wide open. Yes, I know there is an entire chapter on audience management but strangely this most obvious bit of audience management (at least in my mind) is not mentioned. Even if the case is that he has never had anyone notice the discrepancy (although hard to believe), then at least say that much.
Dr Art
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Dr Art
Videoman,

In the demo on the DVD there is a situation where the discrepency you mentioned actually happens. Spec notices prematurely the different amount of coins before the reveal is made. Garrett covers this quickly with a comment. The demo is one with four people at a table and the spec is wearing a black dress.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Well she noticed only after seeing the effect 3 times. We often shoot the same audiences over and over to make sure we get it.......First time through she didn't notice anything. They are not going to look at the coins. They will look at Garrett because hes talking....And she handed him the coin. Theres really no reason for anyone to see anything.
Dr Art
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Dr Art
Ok, didn't know it was a repeat performance. The odds of it happening may be small. But what is important is to see how Garrett handles the situation. There was no loss of continuity and the magic moments were still maintained with proper buidup. Knowing how to segue out of that possibillity is comforting to the performer and allows them a more relaxed presentation should they be concerned about the what if scenario.

No criticism at all, it is a great piece of memorable magic that ticks all the boxes.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I agree
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2014, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I performed the effect for some family today and it went over great. A couple of the older (teens) try to catch me all the time but in no way shape or form caught the fact that they were handing me a gaff. No special attention to it makes it go over smoothly - "Don't run if you aren't being chased"

I am going to have a lot of fun with this one. The amazing thing is, for a relatively inexpensive (gaff and routine) - It plays just as strong as many of my (way more expensive) gimmicked routines.

I agree. I have performed this a lot and it never ceases to amaze everybody. As a matter of fact after performing the effect I had one guy say, "I thought tricks that looked like this could only be seen on TV. Well I was wrong, that was *&^%^$%#$ amazing!". I can't tell you how strong this routine is, get it, practice and go find out. Though, after performing it a lot I am finding that the two phases in the middle are not really necessary. The routine is equally as strong performing only the 1st and 4th phases.

Also, no one has ever noticed the gimmick. Even in the 4th phase- never a question.

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Weird question. Got my package and can't get to the DVD for a couple days. I must be an idiot though because I can't figure out how to get the gimmick out of the little plastic case it came in. Is it obvious and I'm just missing something? Or is it on the DVD?
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
The move where you position the S---l at the edge of your palm and fingers was a problem with the small and light you know what.

So I kind of have to move/jerk my hand to get it into the the perfect position to grab it with the other hand.

I hope I explained this well.

Half dollar size is easier because of the weight and size of the you know what.

But this is a cool routine with quarter that people carry in their pocket.

After this routine, I do my QB 2.0 Routine
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Imagination Coins (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL