The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » REVIEW: It's All in the Mind by Raphael Czaja (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Hello there all of you radicals who believe that e-books are a viable and valuable resource for learning. We are still kind of like an underground movement scoffed at but, we shall prove that there are veritable treasures to be found in so called alternative media such that one fine day, we can be rid of the loathsome term.

Before I begin the review, I want to write a few words of apology. (If you choose to skip this, just scroll down and look for "-------------" to get to the review of Raphael's new e-book).

I moved to The Netherlands two years ago with very high hopes. I was told that the country is a vibrant hive of motivated artists who seek to realize their dreams. As many of you know, in addition to being a magician, I am also a musician. I hasten to add for any Dutch folks reading this that I do love your country so please do not take offense? Okay, so, what I have found in two years here is a decidedly sad lack of motivation among musicians - and magicians - to take chances and pursue the dream of, well, living the dream of being full time performers. What I have found rather is an insidious sense of complacency that is crippling in the creative sense. Bands simply do not want to gamble and magicians with the possible exception of Amsterdam do not perform on the streets and I have yet to see any table hoppers. Sad when you consider that this is the home of Tommy Wonder, Fred Kaps, Flip, and so many other great magicians.

Anyhow, the IND actually lost all of my papers during the immigration/seeking a work visa process. So for eight months I was a man who had no idea where he would be living. It literally took fifteen calls to finally learned that my US State Department apostilled documents were lost. These documents contain sensitive information and the IND just passed it off as no big deal. But without a work visa, I couldn't work, couldn't join a band, and couldn't perform magic. In addition, the relationship I am in simply was not what I thought it would be - but isn't that such a tired old story?

So, I immersed myself in finishing my Mater's degree in Education with a focus in instructional design. Unfortunately, the jobs I have applied for have all turned me down with the statement that I am overqualified - and these are education jobs! I have been trying to seek work just about anywhere to no avail. Bands promised that they were busy and wanted to get busier. None of this happened and I wasted a year on two bands who decided it was more "fun" just to mess around once a month, have a few beers and call it a day.

What does this have to do with apologies? Before I left America, I had promised Vinny, Doomo, Marshall Peterson, and a number of others that I would be looking at products they sent me and that I would be providing feedback. I didn't deliver on those promises because I allowed myself to be beaten down and that is not like me. So to them and to all I have failed, I am deeply sorry. Please understand that while I am not excusing myself, I never reneged on these promises out of a sense of maliciousness; rather, I just hit a state of mind in which I felt hopeless.

As it stands, to get back home I may have to sell all of my magic and even music and that scares me because magic and music are part of who I am. But, c'est la guerre. I will pick myself up and start over. Thank you all for bearing with me, and without further ado, the review!

"----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"

It's All in the Mind, written by Raphael Czaja.

Raphael is a French magician and the fact that he IS French does not sway me in the least as I still like his magic! Smile He has released some excellent magic in the past including SCAMP, The R&B Project, Knocked for Six, and many more. His methodologies are simultaneously quirky as well as an homage to to classic means and the combination of the two more often than not have rendered some wonderful plots. In my estimation, Raphael continues to explore and even revel in this sweet synergy of quirkiness and homage and this latest work represents another level in Raphael's pursuit of clean, strong magic with ingenious results that entertain audiences and present what Harry Lorayne would call "pathway" ideas.

Raphael is not with his admirers and one of them is Cameron Francis who is perhaps one of magic's most prolific creators. In fact, my exposure to Raphael's magic came indirectly through a mention of Raphael's magic by Cameron Francis. People like Cameron Francis, Liam Montier, and others are representative of a new wave of magic that blazes trails while respecting the storied past of this beautiful art. I believe that Raphael Czaja is part of this new wave though he is perhaps not as well know - yet. But bear in mind, neither was Stewart James - and I'll get to the Stewart James connection as I go through the review.

It's All in the Mind comprises seven "mental magic" experiments. Five are card experiments and two are non card, specifically a sweet book test and a lotto effect. But first let's talk about the production values.

The e-book weighs in at a nice 24 pages. The layout is clean and the aesthetic is simple and pleasing to the eye with blue and white headers for each effect. The font is sans-serif and I'm not sure if Raphael is aware of this fact or not, but, sans-serif fonts are the preferred type of font for digital readability and studies in instructional design have shown that reading comprehension is improved dramatically by the use of this font family. The writing style is clear and succeeds rather well in explaining method without getting bogged down in arduous verbiage. [Arduous verbiage is best thought of as a "Vlad review" Smile ]. French is Raphael's native language but his English is superb.

Raphael's introduction is friendly and he clearly explains to the reader the path he wishes to follow. He seeks methods that minimize or eliminate sleights. I should add that Raphael has nothing against sleights. Rather, he follows the tradition of Vernon, Hamman, and others who have argued that by eliminating unnecessary methodoligical chicanery, you actually enhance effect. In that sense, Raphael is pursuing quite consciously the "Real Work" that produces magic in the minds of the spectator.

Okay, lets get to the effects! The effect descriptions are taken verbatim from the e-book.

1. Twice the Touch: Eyes closed (really!), you are able to remove a card selected and freely replaced in an ESP card packet by the spectator! After having put the card back into the packet (eyes still closed so you cannot see any sign), you are able to find its identity by taking the spectator's pulse.

2. Double Impossibility: The spectator shuffles a packet of playing cards as much as he wants in order to get a mess of face-up and face-down cards. He spells MY CARD to find his. You remove a card from an
envelope in full view from the start: It is the same card on which is written the way the selection ended up into the packet (face up or face down)!

3. Fusional: This time, you ask two spectators to find YOUR card. They each name a value and a suit that are combined to create two cards. One of them is selected and removed from the deck. Just in case, the eliminated card is removed and turned face up... Nothing special. The selection is now turned over: Written on its face is MY CARD in big bold letters!

4. Tset Koob: A bookmark is protruding from a book. Some envelopes containing different quotes from that book are randomly shuffled and eliminated until the spectator is left with one. You open a few envelopes to show the different outcomes. You open the book at your bookmark and ask the spectator to read the first words on the page. Only now, the spectator reads the quote he picked: They match!

5. Through-Sight: While your back is turned, a spectator thinks of a card in a packet he removed from the middle of the deck. After a simple procedure, without anyone naming any suit or value, you correctly
guess the thought-of card (still back turned)! The spectator thinks of another card but this time you face him, look into his eyes and immediately name his thought-of card!

6. I Like Chinese: You display nine cards with the name of a different creature from the chinese [SIC] mythology. The spectator picks the one you predicted!

7. Lotto 21: Some grids of numbers are display, all different. The game consists of adding four numbers from one grid and the result must not exceed the number concealed in a tabled envelope. The spectator picks a grid and you do so. He selects four numbers in his grid and four numbers for you in your grid. Let's say the results are 64 for you and 77 for him. The envelope is opened: The number is 70. You win by six and he loses by seven! But there is another paper in the envelope. You openly display it and read it out loud: It is written I WIN BY SIX AND YOU LOSE BY SEVEN!

Intrigued? You should be, and for a few of these effects Raphael's enthusiastic use of exclamation marks is appropriate. All are solid effects but as in any book some will stand out as "I want to learn that, NOW." All is subjective of course so, please remember that what I find interesting may and often will differ from what trips your trigger; ain't magic grand?

I will tell you right off that there are some VERY minor arts and crafts moments - using a Sharpie pen so make sure to have one at hand. Also, these effects require an attentive audience and the magic here, while it can be presented in a street environment, really hits hardest in a more quiet situation.

Tset Koob is a wonderful book test and before you raise your eyebrow in true Spock fashion, this book test represents one of those pathway ideas and is really worth exploration. It is a conglomeration of methods that would have made Stewart James smile. What I really like about it is that with a little work, you can have a nice variant of Larry Becker's phenomenal Ultimate Flashback. Raphael doesn't explain how to do this but, when you read the method, you will quickly realize that this book test has a lot of room for growth and the best part is no gaffs and no peeks! The preparation is easy and the freedom offered to the spectator appears so incredibly fair. As it is written, it is a pretty good book test. If you expand it, it becomes something great. [No, it isn't the Mother of All Book Tests, but, I could never understand why a book test should cost 350 USD but then again, that's just me].

I Like Chinese will fascinate people who like the zodiac or who are interested in learning a bit about the mythologies of non-Western cultures. This effect could very well appeal to magicians who fancy a bit of storytelling in their magic and again, it is a pathway idea that could, with a little work, be applied to other themes. I like this effect a lot because you can play it as dark as some of the effects in R. Shane's Pentalogy or, if for instance you perform "gospel" magic, with a little change in the artwork - easy to do by the way - you have a beautiful piece of magic based on biblical themes if that is your thing. The effect's main theme is the dragon in Chinese mythology. I like that because dragons have long held a fascination in many cultures but, in Western myth, the dragon usually represented evil while in Chinese mythology, the dragon represents a benevolent force. This effect has a decidedly strong Stewart James/Robert Neale approach which is really appealing to me.

Through-Sight is wonderful and can easily be performed in informal situations. The effect centers around what Raphael tells his spectators is "eye reading." That's a pretty cool hook and a lot of fun by-play with the spectator is possible with this one. This effect for me at least, has played VERY strongly for women in the precious few times I have had the opportunity to perform it. It plays well for men, but, perhaps it's the "eye" thing that gives it that little extra hook?

Fusional is interesting in that it reminds me of work from Simon Aronson and Ben Harris. I like the effect but I feel it's one that deserves more attention than I have given it.

Lotto 21 was for me the most restrictive effect and perhaps could benefit from some refinement. Part of the methodology is sound but there is a another part that just feels a bit like I am shackling my spectator. It's not that the spectator would pick up on this, but for me at least, I am afraid I would telegraph my own hesitation.

Okay, so, if you are looking for hard core sleight of hand, then go read Darwin Ortiz. Raphael clearly works more in the realms of Stewart James and Nick Trost. And, I do not believe that sleight of hand is the end all and be all of magic so for me this is not a problem. Effect is everything and if a sleight makes effect more impactful then yes, by all means, use them! But, I find the trend of privileging pure sleight of hand over other methodologies frankly ludicrous and even indicative of parochial thinking. And remember too that some of the greatest sleight of hand artists also created outlandishly great effects that depended more on subtlety. None of the effects in the book are "self-working" and I will be honest and say that for some of you, you will not like some of the methods. I would however offer that Raphael has a keen sense of streamlining and makes some of these methodologies motivated and fun.

I don't like giving "scores" to anything I review as I find that for a score or grade to make sense, one needs a clear rubric and even then, any review is entirely subjective so a number grade can only reflect my own predilections. Besides, what does a "7 out of 10" for instance really tell the reader? Nothing.

That being said, I DO recommend this excellent e-book with the following in mind:

1. This is for magicians who want to explore interesting ideas
2. Magicians who understand that EFFECT and not method is the goal. Of course the method MUST enhance effect and that's why there will be eternal debate on approaches to any plot. Sometimes 4 sleights ARE necessary and sometimes none are called for.
3. Magicians looking for impromptu material will only find one item that meets that criteria and as such, should look elsewhere. But, if you are looking to add compelling presentational pieces, this e-book is a worthy addition to your library.

This is an e-book that I will be exploring further and at the end of the day, it demonstrates that Raphael, like James, is a magician who constantly refines, streamlines, and bears in mind the Annemann maxim that effect is everything.

The e-book is available at http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4037

Great work Raphael and I look forward to more!

Slainte,
Vlad
entermagic
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of entermagic
This is a great job!

MP
KingOfDiamonds
View Profile
Elite user
Paris
427 Posts

Profile of KingOfDiamonds
Thanks for the feedback. The "Fusional" procedure is very versatile, really proud of that.
NEW E-BOOK! Sneak: 12 card tricks based on the same principle.

https://www.lybrary.com/rapha%c3%83%c2%abl-czaja-m-534.html?affid=3322
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I've got to say that I'm a bit taken aback by the lack of discussion on this e-book. I hope my review was clear enough to convey that it is an excellent work and the price is LOW.
KingOfDiamonds
View Profile
Elite user
Paris
427 Posts

Profile of KingOfDiamonds
I have been trying different marketing approaches (price, stand-alone items, video demos, website) at each release and it seems no one is better or worst than the other to me. Price is always the trickiest. If you sell it too high when not a big name, people will think twice about it. If the price is too low, people may take it as "it must not be that good then". All I know is that I considered releasing some of those above as individual e-books, so it is a fair offer for what you get. Truth is potential customers are harder and harder to satisfy. Maybe for the best, don't know.

For my next release, I will try something new again (stand alone item, very small price, video demo) and see what comes out of it.

Raph
NEW E-BOOK! Sneak: 12 card tricks based on the same principle.

https://www.lybrary.com/rapha%c3%83%c2%abl-czaja-m-534.html?affid=3322
Mystification
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of Mystification
It is a nice value for the money.
tomcards
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
395 Posts

Profile of tomcards
REVIEW: It's All in the Mind

http://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=44386

Tom Frame
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Wow! That was a harsh review, Tom. Comes across like a disgruntled critic.

I can't comment on this, because I don't own it, but I do own My Best Card Magic 2008-2016 by Raphael Czaja. I suppose it is possible that one project might be as terrible as Tom says and another can be really good, but I doubt it. I found THREE routines on "My Best Card Magic.." that I REALLY like.

Not to come across like I'm doing a critique of Tom, but I would like to see someone else's review. I know that for me, if I purchase a set of effects like the one I mentioned, for as reasonable a price as it costs, if I get even one good idea from it, that was a success. Also, I think that most performing magicians would agree. If you get just one good idea from something, that is HUGE.

I think I'll put more weight in Vlad's review, and I'm looking forward to more reviews...

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
OK, I just saw that Tom's first interest is psychadelics. Perhaps... that explains things? Perhaps... it was a disgruntled trip.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » REVIEW: It's All in the Mind by Raphael Czaja (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL