The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Where to buy Luis Piedrahita's book (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Ordered this the other day. I'm very interested in his wild coin. Is anything extra special needed? I have the common [ plus c/s. will that do it?
bobandjim
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of bobandjim
Hi Joshua,

I'm working on this routine too. You have everything you need.
15tahures
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of 15tahures
Jamy Ian Swiss review describes it deeply:

https://t.co/wuEcwPeWr8
15tahures
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of 15tahures
Joshua, you need a moon coin. Is not regular C/S and regular [. They need to fit perfectly. any way you can do it with regular ] and C/S.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Or, if you have a hopping half set, it comes with a sun/moon coin.
15tahures
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of 15tahures
Tonsonofquestions is right! The hopping half option is also mention in the book. It is the best option. I use the johnson´s set. In the book Piedrahita mentions some "coin makers" and he mentions the Johnson´s hopping half. But I think he uses a Todd Lassen set.
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
What I'm having issue with is trying to find a good size tablet for Coin in Aspirin. Anyone in the US find something that is large enough to work?
National First Vice President
The Society of American Magicians
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I would like to get this book but as many others have stated, It is kind of unclear what all gaffs you would need to perform EVERY gaffed effect in the book if you chose to put in the time. I see [ mentioned, as well as C/S. I am guessing by the description 15tahures made of the one set, it is a reverse sun/moon (The basic set you need for Samoya) I am guessing? the C/S must fit perfectly into a Copper [ and/or a silver [ ? (I have a set that does both).

I see mentions of something being needed for the bubble wrap effect as well as an asprin / alka-seltzer effect (I have no idea what gaffs these would require). If someone who has the book could PM me with a "complete list of gaffs" needed for every gaffed effect in the book. I would appreciate it very much. I am not asking for secrets or even which gaffs go with which effects, just a list of specific gaffs needed. Also, If two ['s might be needed for one effect or 2 C/S's needed for another, quantities would be helpful. I would hate to buy the book only to find out I need $X.XX worth of new gaffs as well. I do have quite an arsenal though, so I may be OK. Thanks in Advance.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
ma91cm1ke
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of ma91cm1ke
I recieved my copy of this book about a week ago and I highly recommend it. Yes almost every effect uses a gaff but nothing to out there.
Poof-Daddy to answer your questions the most outrageous gaff and the one I'm sure that most people won't own is used in the bubble wrap effect. In the book they call it a four coin nest or FCN, so 1 coin and 3x[.
Everything else is reasonably standard I would say, Flipper, C/S, expanded you know whats and sun and moon.
You won't need multiples of any of these items for any effect either. Interestingly the only effect doesn't require any gaff is the asprin/alka-seltzer effect but it does require some advance preperation.
Honestly though, buy the book. It is beautifully produced, well translated with lots of quality photographs and a great chance to learn Luis Piedrahitas wonderful approaches and techniques.

Hope that helps

Michael
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Got several replies. Thanks to all. I have most of the needed gaffs and will probably still buy it for the essays and other info more so than the effects. From what I have heard so far it seems to be worth getting even if you don’t have all the gaffs.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
15tahures
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of 15tahures
Hi Poof - daddy!

As ma91cm1ke said, the alkaseltzer routine is the only one that does´t require any gaff. There are some technics described in the book that doesn't need any gaff and you can apply to your routines, and some interesting essays too...
The samoya set is perfect for some of the routines. Some of my favorites.
I hope you will enjoy he book. Let us know!
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Ha! I have solved the Coin in Aspirin issue for those of us in the United States where they are not large enough.
15tahures
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of 15tahures
What are you using, Mathew? Smaller coin? one of those fake teeth cleaning tablets? That is what I do when I´m not in Europe.
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 22, 2018, 15tahures wrote:
What are you using, Mathew? Smaller coin? one of those fake teeth cleaning tablets? That is what I do when I´m not in Europe.

I was using nickels but I'll PM you with that I'm doing now.
15tahures
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of 15tahures
Thanks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Where to buy Luis Piedrahita's book (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL