The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Classic Card Spider (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ryan_McSwain
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Ryan_McSwain
I've started building a few effects, and I'm very interested in the classic card spider apparatus (picture attached). I see several companies offering it, so is it in the public domain? If so, are plans or diagrams available anywhere for free or for purchase? I've been looking through the Hoffman books and Illustrated Magic, but I haven't found any images yet.

I've never seen the trick performed, and I can't find video of it online. I've thought of a dozen ways the card could be produced, but I would like to at least use the traditional method and performance as a starting point.

Thanks, folks!

Click here to view attached image.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Hi Ryan,

The one you pictured is mine. I think it was first made by Thayer and later, Owen. Fairchild has a version, as does Abbott's. There are probably more. I have not seen any workshop plans for this.

My intent was to overcome the problem areas I found with other versions. I can't really go into details on that here, but I think I succeeded.

If you send me a PM with your ideas, I can help guide you. Part of the fun of doing this kind of thing is being a problem solver. It's usually more fun than working directly from a set of ready-made plans. Who knows? You may have discovered something new, as well! It's a fun project.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Ryan, you should take Michael up on his offer. I wish I owned everything he's made so no one else could have it...and I wouldn't care if I was being greedy and selfish. He's one of the rare builders who still has pride in what he does and a genuine love for the craft of magic, and the craftsmanship it takes to create it.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Ryan_McSwain
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Ryan_McSwain
Michael, PM sent. Thanks for your willingness to exchange ideas with such a lowly beginner.

Mr. Wizard of Oz, I agree. I would love to be surrounded by Michael's work. It's exactly the kind of classic, elegant magic that I would love to be building myself.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Devlin's Silk Mystery, as described in Rice Encyclopedia of Silks Volume 1 (p518), makes use of a Spider in its Web sewn on a banner that is held by an assistant. The original effect has silks vanished that appear on each of the spider's legs, but a slight modification could turn the effect into one in which six to nine cards are chosen from a deck and then shuffled into the deck. The banner with the spider is folded up and the deck of cards dropped in. When the banner is opened up, the cards scatter and drop on the floor, but the chosen cards are trapped on each of the spider's legs. A much easier build, and if you have a spectator from the audience hold the banner, the ending is even more mysterious.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2014, jimgerrish wrote:
Devlin's Silk Mystery, as described in Rice Encyclopedia of Silks Volume 1 (p518), makes use of a Spider in its Web sewn on a banner that is held by an assistant. The original effect has silks vanished that appear on each of the spider's legs, but a slight modification could turn the effect into one in which six to nine cards are chosen from a deck and then shuffled into the deck. The banner with the spider is folded up and the deck of cards dropped in. When the banner is opened up, the cards scatter and drop on the floor, but the chosen cards are trapped on each of the spider's legs. A much easier build, and if you have a spectator from the audience hold the banner, the ending is even more mysterious.

I like that Spider/Silk trick! I'd forgotten about it. Fun & colorful! I may build one for my own kid show!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Ryan_McSwain
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Ryan_McSwain
There's also The Golden Spider by Jimmy Flowers (http://www.mylovelyassistant.com/products/view/4808#). A spider is shown in an empty frame and one of several colorful balls of yarn is chosen. The frame is surrounded by a screen and the ball of yarn tossed inside. When you remove the screen, the ball of yarn has been used by the spider to spin a web.

This effect is from the 1950s, so I'm not sure if it's up for grabs or not. Tommy James made a version (https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=19).

Seems it would be an easy addition to add a card reveal.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Check my site for "Weaver's House". It's my version of that trick.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
That would make an interesting additional concept for the Devlin Spider Banner, and so easy to add. Just have the spider by itself on the banner at the start, drop in the shuffled cards and toss in a ball of yarn from a colored yarn ball selected by a member of the audience. The spider has caught the cards and spun a web the same color as the chosen yarn, all at the same time.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2014, jimgerrish wrote:
That would make an interesting additional concept for the Devlin Spider Banner, and so easy to add. Just have the spider by itself on the banner at the start, drop in the shuffled cards and toss in a ball of yarn from a colored yarn ball selected by a member of the audience. The spider has caught the cards and spun a web the same color as the chosen yarn, all at the same time.

Nice lateral thinking, but combining different effects at the same time is often not wise, as it becomes confusing and diminishes the impact of both. But, from a brainstorming standpoint, I like it.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Classic Card Spider (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL