The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Karasudo the Palm-Reading Samurai (Japanese Film) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
This TV-movie was a clever idea. A samurai swordsman who is also a palm-reader. It used to be available as a dvd, but I can Not find it nowadays. From what I heard about this film, the Palm-reading plays a major role in fighting against crime. A crime was committed, and the victim himself was a palm-reader. So he happened to have a copy of the perpetrator's palm-print. Into this situation comes Karasudo who uses the palm-print to track down the criminal. What he does is study the palm-print to enable him to determine the character-traits of the criminal. Using them as clues, he tracks down the perpetrator.

Acting in the role of the titular Karasudo is actor Shigeru Amachi. Much as I hate to say it, Amachi passed away quite some time ago,but he will always be remembered most notably for his role as detective Akechi Kogoro, a character created by the famous Edogawa Rampo.
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Love to see this, do you have more information? I am not able to find it under Mr. Amachi's filmography, could it have been another actor?
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2014, Balaram wrote:
Love to see this, do you have more information? I am not able to find it under Mr. Amachi's filmography, could it have been another actor?

The same as you, I want to see it too. The reason you could Not find that film listed under his filmography is because USUALLY such lists don't include films that are made for television. Instead they usually concentrate on the theatrical kind.
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
I almost didn't believe you, but here he is! Free preview as well on this site: http://www.kurotokagi.com/samurai_fl.htm
$15--ordered! Thanks Orville_Smith, Cheers

JUROKUMON KARASUDO:
THE EDO FORTUNE-TELLER
Jurokumon Karasudo - 1982 - Color - Fullscreen - Extras

An exciting tale about the life and times of Karasudo a traveling fortune-teller during
Japan's Edo Period. There are plenty of twists and turns to the plot as the fortune-teller
turns out to be more than he seems. Starring Amachi Shigeru, one of Japan's most
ren-owned sword actors as Karasudo, who charges 16 mon for his fortune-telling skill,
but asks for nothing when it comes to swordplay. His merciless blade is stained with
the blood of his enemies when he uncovers a sinister plot and finds that his martial
arts skill must be called into action. An unusual and highly entertaining story, about a
man not to be trifled with.

This is NOT the Hawaii Tv recording! Remastered from a new superior print!
With removable English Subtitles and DVD Extras.

Directed by: NAGANO Kiyotada
Cast: AMACHI Shigeru, ASAJI Yoko, ARAKAWA Ichiro, MUTSUMI Goro, MIURA Rika
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Very cool, thanks for posting this, I might've never heard of it otherwise.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
For Palmistry, mention must be made of Paul Voodini, a magician who successfully incorporates Palm-reading into his performances: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S14810
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Has anybody here seen this book on Jewish Palm-reading? I post this here because this is the first time I've run across a Jewish form of Palmistry. http://www.lulu.com/shop/dr-matthew-levi......104.html
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
I copied this from the description of the book.
“Kabbalistic Palmistry is different than traditional palmistry. The horizontal and vertical lines on the fingers and the palm reflect the Sefirot of creation discussed in the Kabbalah. These lines create archetypes that are used to help the individual learn more about themselves, and their lineage.”
A sefirah (pl. sefirot) is a channel of Divine energy or life-force. This most
fundamental concept of Kabbalah is that in the process of creation an ...

A friend of mine used to use the John Riggs(St. Germain) book called runic palmistry; and how she did the reading was amazing!. Unlike the tradition style of palm reading used to deliver personality traits, the palm was used to find symbols. It might be like “This is the sign of Loki” and instead of telling you about yourself she would tell you about this god or goddess and what made them unique…. And of course you would often then find your own self in that story….
Could this book do the same by using mystic Kabbalah to create archetypes and then you are telling the sitter more of story about Divine life forces or personalities that exists in the Kabbalah.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
I finally got the Cabalistic Palmistry book in the mail. Upon opening the parcel, my first reaction was that the book was much too thin. In other words, it's more of a pamphlet but in book form. Its presentation reminds me of those Samuel Weiser books which were very thin books on the occult. It was during the 1970s that I bought a Weiser book on Candle-burning. Thin as the book was, it still provided much solid information on candle-making and how to properly oil the candle for ritualistic use. I still have that book after all these years along with Raymond Buckland's paperback book "The Pocket Guide to the Supernatural."

The only difference between Weiser's book and Lemberger's Palmistry is that Lemberger's book is printed on better paper. And although a thin book, it still provides solid information. I don't know how familiar you are about the Jewish Tree of Life but Lemberger explains that the Palmistry is derived and/or used in conjunction with that diagram. In other words, the 10 sephirots seen in the Tree of Life. For example, let's take at random the Gevurah. When looking at the Palmistry, the Gevurah hand refers to discipline, such as children when they are in their formative years, during which they are impressionable. And in adults, it can refer to sexual abstinence. I suppose such men would be adept at practicing celibacy. Or maybe they have lost their testosterone. lol Sure, I might be joking, but if you really think about it, it might be true for some men. After all, we know there are many Hindu Yogis who practice such abstinence. Anyway, this Gevurah is one of the 10 palm-prints which correspond to the 10 sephirots of the Tree diagram.

Incidently, have you ever seen the Silent film THE GOLEM? Because in the sequence where the creature is initially animated by the rabbi, we see the rabbi referring to a scroll which has a diagram of the Cabalistic Tree. Diagrammatically, this is an accurate representation of the Tree of Life. The film can be seen for free on Youtube, and the Tree of Life diagram appears about 9 or 11 minutes into that film. If you watch it, maybe you can share your observations with me.
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
So I might have to check this book out for more on the Cabalistic Tree which seems very interesting for study. I am interested in Jewish mythology and mysticism so this sounds right up my alley. I have not seen that silent film but also will definitely check that out. I have an oldish book on the golem story and absolutely love it.... more of a kids read or early adult but none the less still a great story.
So do you think this palm reading material has helped your palmistry in any way?
Sounds like more of a good reference book.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On May 13, 2016, friend2cptsolo wrote:
So I might have to check this book out for more on the Cabalistic Tree which seems very interesting for study. I am interested in Jewish mythology and mysticism so this sounds right up my alley. I have not seen that silent film but also will definitely check that out. I have an oldish book on the golem story and absolutely love it.... more of a kids read or early adult but none the less still a great story.
So do you think this palm reading material has helped your palmistry in any way?

The way I would answer your question is to say that the book not necessarily helped my palmistry but instead it's more of it showing me palmistry in an entirely different direction. The novelty of the book is that the Jewish-palmistry is meant in a religious vein, so for me, it's something novel.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Was wondering how my recent hand-surgery affects the lines in my palm. The diagnosis was a so-called Trigger finger in which a finger could not bend. It's where one of the tendons inside your palm gets inflamed, so it results in severe stiffening, rigidity of one or more fingers. So the orthopedic surgery would correct the tendon.

Although I was put under anesthesia, the surgery is not too complicated as it involved a hand instead of a vital organ. So the stitches were removed in little more than a week. And to my relief, now my finger can bend normally.

How it relates to Palmistry is because I've heard that such things as Scars can affect the reading. The healing is alright but the result is the particular area that has an upraisedportion. So I was wondering if anybody else has a Scar or disfigurement that affected their Palm-reading.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Karasudo the Palm-Reading Samurai (Japanese Film) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL