The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Table Design (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
I'm working on a table design that is similar to a TV tray where the legs and top fold up into a flat, compact unit. I know there are commercial tables like this available, but I'm a woodworker and want to develop my own design. Right now I'm working on a second prototype in pine and plywood before making the final version in cherry hardwood. I've hit a snag and was wondering if there is such a design already out there in drawing form that may have solved this problem. Any suggestions?
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Not that I am aware of. Don't know if you might get some ideas from waiter tray stands that use a similar principle.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
I'm beginning my third prototype this next week, if it warms up some that is. The waiter table (AKA 'bus jack') isn't really what I'm after. My design is kind of like a pair of scissors with a top connected by pivot points in a frame at the points, the handles being the feet ends of the legs. I hope that visualization works. Thanks for the tip though.
Christian Wilde
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Christian Wilde
Sounds like an interesting project. Would you consider posting some pics? 😊
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The TV tray has been done many times by many wood works for the guys that busk out doors. You mention you hit a snag, but do not mention what the snag is. So of course we cannot help you solver your snag. As far as drawing or plans, most guy do not share their workshop plans as they want to keep them exclusive to them. Most of these guys also make their tables out of expensive exotic woods to sell, and offset their income as well. So I am sure you understand why they would not want to give or share their plans, and put themselves out of business.

I don't know of any books or plans on this type of busking table. Why not just go to Wal-Mart and check out the TV trays as we use to call them to see if they solved your snag. Many home improvement and furniture stores sell these. Just go shopping and check out how they designed the table.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Thanks Bill. I'm going for an all wood design and although TV trays give some hints, they don't give enough to get around this snag. I'll keep working on this project and post some pics when it's done, but not enough to tip how mine works I guess, because as you say, many of us would like to earn some extra income from our designs. The snag has to do with the geometry of where the pivot point at the "X" of the legs has to be in order to clear the base frame for an outside mounted mechanism versus the instability I've found with an inside mounted mechanism.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
This is exactly the type of table I've been looking for but have given up...so have begun to look at building on.

I found old Twilight Zone about a travelling salesman and took screen shots of his suitcase/table (attached). It has scissors type folding legs. Is this what you're looking to do? If so I'm very interested in seeing what you come up with...

Click here to view attached image.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2014, imgic wrote:
This is exactly the type of table I've been looking for but have given up...so have begun to look at building on.

I found old Twilight Zone about a travelling salesman and took screen shots of his suitcase/table (attached). It has scissors type folding legs. Is this what you're looking to do? If so I'm very interested in seeing what you come up with...

The magic genii has granted your wish.

Just wondering, where have you been looking?

It has been here all along:
http://www.abbottmagic.com/Briefcase-Tab......able.htm
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
While that's very cool. It's not what I'd envisioned. I'd like a larger suitcase instead of a brief case. And am hoping to have a bit more heft in the legs to withstand use in the street.
FatherWilliam57
View Profile
New user
Beaver, PA
73 Posts

Profile of FatherWilliam57
I remember that Twilight Zone episode and have also been enamored with that type of suitcase table. I often search antique sites looking for it, but does anyone know a brand name or even a specific name for that type of apparatus which would help in an internet search? (Just putting "salesman's case with scissor legs" into a search engine could lead to a full-time occupation for the rest of my life before I found one...)
The Rev. William B. Henry, Jr.
"If this be magic, let it be an art..." - Leontes
(Winter's Tale, Act 5, Scene 3)
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2014, FatherWilliam57 wrote:
I remember that Twilight Zone episode and have also been enamored with that type of suitcase table. I often search antique sites looking for it, but does anyone know a brand name or even a specific name for that type of apparatus which would help in an internet search? (Just putting "salesman's case with scissor legs" into a search engine could lead to a full-time occupation for the rest of my life before I found one...)

You can often narrow a search by doing an image search. It is much faster to spot what you want, or what to skip over.

I might also suggest checking auction sites or adding the word "vintage" to your search. It is highly unlikely that these are being made these days, but you might stumble across one. I even wonder how popular they may have been at all??

As an alternative, consider making one. This is after all, The Workshop! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Probably the nearest thing to what Father William is looking for, would be a Harbin "drop down" table.

I have the "Russian" made metal Harbin table,sold by George Schindler about 15 or 20 years ago, but it would be (on account of the metal) too "flexible" for a prop case on top.

A friend of mine made me an all wooden Harbin table. It easily handles my prop case which is 13" x 20" x 8". The prop case is "like" a FAT ATTACHE CASE! Thc case with all props for a 60 minute show,weighs about 22lbs.

The table top is 12" x 16". The "legs" are 3/8" thick, and it is 30 1/2" high. I paid Dale $ 150.00 about 15 years ago, and consider it a bargain. Its natural wood" finish, but, I suppose it could be painted to fit one's act.

With the prop case on it, there is a little bit of flexibility --i.e.: It can "TWIST" slightly, but I've never had a problem with that.

I usually use a wsiter's tray stand with "inducstrial" casters, but sometimes the Harbin is more practical (it carries in an attache case.)

I'm not much of a mechanic, but perhaps the Harbin table could be attached to the prop case, to make a "one piece" combination.

I don't have a scale handy. If there is interest, I'll get it weighed. I'm GUESSING that the table weighs about 12 lbs.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
OOOPS The table top is 1/2" thick! (Thickness to accommodate anchoring the legs)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2014, FatherWilliam57 wrote:

They were often called a "keister and tripe" The kiester was the suitcase and tripe the legs (though I understand them to be three legged tripod affairs)

http://www.soapysmith.net/sitebuildercon......_X_1.jpg
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The word keister is derived from kiste, the German Yiddish word for strongbox or suitcase. "Tripe" would seem to be slang, an abbreviation.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
FatherWilliam57
View Profile
New user
Beaver, PA
73 Posts

Profile of FatherWilliam57
I see this has come up before: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=6

The search goes on!
The Rev. William B. Henry, Jr.
"If this be magic, let it be an art..." - Leontes
(Winter's Tale, Act 5, Scene 3)
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Yep. I started that thread hoping to find something. Instead I'm looking at trying to build something...one of these days.
Thom Bliss
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern California
271 Posts

Profile of Thom Bliss
Perhaps this would help:

http://robynskillman.wordpress.com/

about half way down the page, under "3D Design".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Table Design (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL