The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » How to age/antique an unfinished wood finger chopper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
I just bought a new Finger penetration effect http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/......_id=1369

It's plain unfinished new wood, and it looks like I just bought it from the magic store, which I did.

I would like to distress it (a lot) so it looks like it's been in the moldy basement for years. I searched around here and google on aging techniques and did see a few that might work, but I was hoping for some actual experience in aging this type of wooden prop.

On the plus side, it was very inexpensive so I can afford buy a few more if I mess up.
I will definitely post final results.

As Always,
THANKS
Ed
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The key to any aging technique is to understand what happens to an item under certain conditions. This effect is simply replicated on the desired object to create an appearance that closely resembles this in a fraction of the time normally needed for this to occur naturally.

There are differences in the effects obtained from years of handling, the effects of weather, the effects of natural elements, the effects of damage or abuse, patinas, etc.

Modelers are extremely good at replicating these aging effects. They refer to it as weathering. This may help you in your search.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Oh, great idea:
FLAME TORCH Smile Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2015, edshern wrote:
... I can afford buy a few more if I mess up.

As Always,
THANKS
Ed

That's funny!
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Remember, too, that you are making a prop, not a museum piece, and it is important that the item meet the expectations of the spectators of what it should look like. If it looks old to you, chances are it will look that way to the audience. I favor dings, wormholes and cuts along the grain that look like cracks when finished.
Marc
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
This may be more than you're looking for, but it's free:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=173
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Blood?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » How to age/antique an unfinished wood finger chopper (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL