The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Packet Tricks Done Solely/Mostly in the Hands (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of supremefiction
This is a difficult question but I am betting on you guys.

Can you recommend some packet tricks that are done solely (or mostly) in the hands?

What I mean by that is placing one or more cards upon the table and then picking them up again is minimized.

Examples I have so far would be:

-Wicked (Bannon)
-Look--An Illusion (Jennings)
-Old Faithful (Cummins)
-Ambitious Classic (Jennings again, natch)
-Masque (Goldstein)

I realize this is a question of degree--in some tricks, certain cards go down out of play, and they may or may not be picked up again during the balance of the effect.

But very interested to hear your suggestions, especially for packet tricks like Wicked, where the cards never touch the table.

Thanks!
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

I forgot a little number called Twisting the Aces.

Also:

-Reciprocity (Goodwin)
-Asher Twist (Asher)

A quick trip through Mr. Goldstein's great Focus shows several including:

-Lassie
-Exitwist
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Almost any true "Packet Trick" can be done using a spectators hands as a "table" as long as you are confident in your audience management skills (keeping them from flipping something over at an inopportune time) and most without even using them as a "table". Just done "In Your Hands.

but if you just want some specific effects
(follow TTA with Doc Daley's last trick)
Color Monte
Alex Elmsley's 4 Card Trick
Twins - Bro John Hamman
Ace - Richard Sanders
NFW (same as Ace) but older Smile

These are a few off the top of my head but the list would be pretty overwhelming.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
B'rainiac (Bannon/Montier) is a current favorite of mine that doesn't need a table, though at one point a card is temporarily placed in your shirt pocket.
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Poof-Daddy:

Thank you!

I am a little embarrassed that I forgot a couple of the "flagship" packet tricks: Alex Elmsley's 4 Card Trick (which I have not yet learned) and Hamman's Twins (which I have learned).

inigmntoya:

Thank you!

I have one other Bannon/Montier packet trick but will look into B'rainiac.

I need to review Mr. Bannon's High Caliber to check for more.

Wondering if Mr. Paul Hallas, world's foremost expert on packet tricks, has any suggestions.

Thank you all.
Carta Mundi
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Carta Mundi
In High Caliber check out Duplicity, Spin Doctor and Short Attention Scam.
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Thank you!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote: Wondering if Mr. Paul Hallas, world's foremost expert on packet tricks, has any suggestions.

[/quote]

I'm sure going through the pages of my books "Small But Deadly" and "Still Small,Still Deadly" would lead you to a few, after all, they are part reference books for finding answers to questions like these. Have you checked through the pages of those? Those with a serious interest in packet effects have them on their shelves.

"Not Another 3 Card Trick" immediately springs to mind, it's marketed but also fully described in "Small But Deadly".

The World's Oddest Card Trick" fully described in "Small but Deadly".

Derek Dingles "Too Many Cards" (from The Complete Works of DD) or any of the very similar versions of the plot, by Jennings, Miesel etc. (I always thought Dingle's was the best presentation, which I'm sure I reference in SBD).

Pretty much any of Paul Gordon's versions of the three card trick with four cards: Corner of Piccadilly, The Red Herring, Triple Kick Monte etc. etc.

Gordon Bean's "Bikers" .

Cameron Francis's "Dupes" or "Nothing but The Truth" (both also require a card to be selected from the deck)

Liam Montier's "Montinator 5.0" to be found in "Triabolical" by Bannon and Montier.

A zillion Twisting The Aces variants.

http://www.magicbookshop.com/product_inf......_id=9618 Link to SBD

http://www.lybrary.com/still-small-still......770.html Link to SSSD (now only available as an e-book)

Happy hunting.
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Thank you sir! Love your work! I have "Small But Deadly" [hc] and "Still Small, Still Deadly" [pdf]. I did take a peek through but will sit down in more detail with your suggestions at hand. I just got your Fortune Collection DVD and gaff set.

Also everybody--Mr. Hallas recently issued the Packet Trick Ultimate Bundle [DVD/gaffs] from MM including Fortune Collection.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2015, supremefiction wrote:
Thank you sir! Love your work! I have "Small But Deadly" [hc] and "Still Small, Still Deadly" [pdf]. I did take a peek through but will sit down in more detail with your suggestions at hand. I just got your Fortune Collection DVD and gaff set.

Also everybody--Mr. Hallas recently issued the Packet Trick Ultimate Bundle [DVD/gaffs] from MM including Fortune Collection.

Actually, I didn't release it as a 'bundle' but the manufacturers did, probably not selling too well, but they have been out several years.

The "Fortune" routine is done in the hands (and perfect for a couple in a restaurant) the use of that method for the 'Voodoo' routine I'm sure you'll like also. The basic routine of course, is taught in "Small But Deadly" but there's other effects and ideas on the DVD so I'm sure you'll find it good value.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
By the way, "Bikers" is currently on sale here for less than the wholesale price, a real bargain:
http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/......id=12427
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Paul, Good tips, thank you. I am buying Bikers and plan to watch the Fortune Collection tonight!
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Paul: I watched the DVD last night with cards in hand and got a huge kick out of it. THANKS! When I sat down I was tired and down but the MAGIC overtook me and soon I was in a much better mood, with my mind racing as to how I might use the many things I learned.

I am posting a full review on the appropriate thread.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=111

You are a very good magician and a very clever thinker, and I look forward to getting more of your stuff.

Also--I got quite a few chuckles from your jokes (especially the Invisible Man item), & once when I learned that you live in the USA not far from here. Your accent reminds me my an acquaintance who hails from Liverpool.

Thanks again.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3065 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I get tremendous reactions from Braniac. So many moments of magic
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
Uniflection in the Classic Magic of Larry Jennings. A greatly unappreciated trick. Done with an ordinary deck and the only prep involves the placement of the jokers. Two selections and everything else is done in the hands.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

MagicJuggler: Thank you. I checked it out, it is very good. I guess the tricks I am thinking of can consist of "a packet of 52," where the deck is in the left hand and various manipulations are done "in situ."
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Other than what has already been mentioned, Tom Dobrowolski has an in-the-hands Wild Card routine you may like.
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Thank you.

Found a couple more:

Vanishing Water (Roy Walton)Ibidem 34 & 35, August 1969
Instant Emulsion (Robin Robertson) Ibidem 34 & 35, August 1969
Impromptu Tailor (Phil Goldstein) AZIZ 1
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Twisting The Aces (Vernon and others), Almost any Emerson and West packet trick, Jealous King (Sean Farquhar), NFW, and on and on.......
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
stickmondoo
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
Bob Kings Monte Nightmare from magician foolers can be done all in the hands and is great.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Packet Tricks Done Solely/Mostly in the Hands (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL