The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Wild Card turnovers/reveals (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2015, karnak wrote:
Wild Card is another old chestnut I've recently dusted off, after years of neglect. In re-familiarizing myself with this effect, I seem to have several old sets of instructions for it from various manufacturers, which vary from each other with regard to the "reveals" at the end... and none of which I particlarly like, or find compelling or convincing.

I suggest that you get a copy of the L&L Publishing Wild Card dvd. It's one of their World's Greatest Magic series and has performances & explainations by Steve Dacri, Darwin Ortiz, Harry Allen, Tommy Wonder, Eric Decamps, Boris Wild, and Scotty York.
If you can't find anything that suits you there, then I would move on to something else.

Quote:
Finally, is there really a good reason to start out with eight duplicates, plus the Wild Card (which all those other duplicates turn into duplicates of?) Might it work just as well if you started out with eight random (different) cards, which then all became the same as the Wild Card? Is there some difference in dramatic impact I'm missing here?

You can devise a routine where different random cards are changed into the Wild Card, but you would have to sacrifice some of the more beautiful transformations, which are only possible with the traditional Wild Card setup.
Jon Strum
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Jon Strum
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good version of Wild Card that's done in the hands?

I've always counted on having a table available, so that the "changed" cards can visually accumulate. But maybe someone has another way...?
"Do you like card tricks?" he asked.
I said no. He did five.
Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
495 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
One suggestion. In The Hands Wild Card by Tom Dobrowolski. Take a look and see what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1idb2JmHaw
Jon Strum
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Jon Strum
I really like Tom's handling. But if he wasn't using his close-up pad to hold the packet of cards while the spectator chooses the "wild card", where else would he put them?

I'm making 2 assumptions here - that the packet of cards should stay visible once he "shows" those cards, and that he wouldn't want to use the spectator's hands as a table for that packet of cards.

So I'm wondering if this is a purely "in the hands" working of wild card.
I said no. He did five.
Tom Dobrowolski
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of Tom Dobrowolski
Thanks Feral Chorus for posting my video and the suggestion. Appreciate it.

Hi John Strum,

Glad you like the handling. This was originally developed for walk around situations.When I do it walk around I have a card "selected" first put the deck away and then introduce the wild card packet. I do the changes placing all the cards in the spectators hands once they've changed as in the video. When displaying/separating the cards into 2 piles near the end I put the packets in 2 spectators hands one on each side. I the put the 2 packets back together go right onto the final count/display. Once they're shown to be jokers again I put the packet of cards away. For years I did a packet switch at the end and would give away the jokers. My DVD has a performance done without a table as I just described it. If I do have a surface I will use it pretty much as you see here.

Thanks again for the interest and kind words about the routine. It's served me well for many years. Any other questions just ask. Cheers.- Tom
Jon Strum
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Jon Strum
Thanks for helping me to see this handling as a true 'in the hands' version of the effect. I appreciate every choice you've made here. And I appreciate even more that you were willing to take the time to draw me such a perfectly detailed map. Thanks Tom!
I said no. He did five.
Tom Dobrowolski
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of Tom Dobrowolski
No worries Jon. Glad it helped!
HoDinhYu
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of HoDinhYu
Tommy Wonder's version is the best I know. Very clean and the display is elegant at the end.
mindthump
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of mindthump
I've started using a "Walking Dead" type zombie-infection story. I really like Dan Harlan's "Walk on the Wild Side" for some nice reveals, in the hands.
RDeNatale
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of RDeNatale
Quote:
On May 25, 2016, mindthump wrote:
I've started using a "Walking Dead" type zombie-infection story. I really like Dan Harlan's "Walk on the Wild Side" for some nice reveals, in the hands.

Yes, I've been working on "Walk on the Wild Side" I like it.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Great stuff! And much food for thought... thanks!
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
William Dee
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of William Dee
I have been reading Frank Garcia's Wildcard book and there are some great ideas in it that go beyond the standard.
It's a great resource for the trick that is generally pretty inexpensive and as they say "sometimes that which is old is new again".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Wild Card turnovers/reveals (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL