The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Arturo props (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2015, jay leslie wrote:
Harry's right
He made at least a dozen of anything
His instructions were printed and that process alone leads me to believe there had to several.

Printing, back then, involved burning a plate which wasn't practical for onesies & twosies

Hi Jay

For the record:

At the time frame I mentioned in the post above, late 1960's to early 70's, Arturo only made THREE of the Nest of Bean Boxes while at Abbott's. It stands to reason he probably had made more before and most probably made more after, but at that moment in time that particular production run was THREE sets.

Ours was purchased from Gordon Mike Miller at the Get-Together that year. Mike would have no reason to tell me something that wasn't true.

Note this was NOT a regular item in Abbott's line of props and Arturo was simply accommodating one special order.

Also, there were NO instructions furnished with this set.

Julie
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Arturo worked at Abbott's well into the 1980's. I and another magician purchased some items from him, not his work, but other unfinished magic props.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Julie
No directions... might well be 3, then
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Does anyone have a printed set of ARTURO's instructions for The Nest of Bean Boxes that you are willing to share?

Julie
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Crickets... Smile
bobmag56
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of bobmag56
One of Arturo's nicest effect sold via Abbott's was the Oriental Fantasy. It is a Checker Cabinet effect with 1 door instead of the Okito or Thayer 3 door effect.
goodingda
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of goodingda
I have one of only two Architect's Nightmares Glenn made. It's a small club size unit, standing about 1 foot tall. The gaff matches really well with the square checkers.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Note: It is easy to tell the difference between Abbott's Supreme made items, and the props made in England by/for Supreme Magic. Abbott's used nail brads to assemble their props. England made props were assembled with very little wood glue and long nail staples shot into the wood, thus many of them fell or came apart with little use and handling.
top_illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
USA
146 Posts

Profile of top_illusionist
Just curious. I was browsing an early 90's Abbott's magic catalog recently.

Are there any builders out there that still manufacture Arturo's Duck Production/Vanish M....r boxes?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On May 12, 2018, top_illusionist wrote:
Just curious. I was browsing an early 90's Abbott's magic catalog recently.

Are there any builders out there that still manufacture Arturo's Duck Production/Vanish M....r boxes?

I never have heard is anyone has purchased the manufacturing rights to Glen Babbs, aka Arturo, magic products. His son Dennis Babbs started this topic, you might check with him, as he is the one that would be selling the manufacturing rights.

Don't know if Abbott's Magic still has the ability to make any of Glenn Babbs items while he was an wood craftsman with them. That may be another source to make an inquiry.
goodingda
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of goodingda
Another great piece Glenn made was the Fraidy Kat Rabbit. It is Owen quality. The door is natural wood, and everything is sanded smooth and fits together perfectly. The gimmick operates with the old fashioned door knob and latch mechanism (no magnets) and it works smooth as silk. The rabbit plaque is wood, beautifully silk screened in vibrant lacquer colors. This would cost at least $300 to make today!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2015, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2015, Julie wrote:

I've never been clear about Abbott's arrangement with Supreme. Did Abbott's manufacture products and send across the pond for Supreme to sell (and Supreme send theirs to Abbott's) or did each manufacture copies of the other's items, with approval, to sell in their respective counties?

Julie

I cannot verify this, but I once heard that Abbott's and Supreme had some kind of arrangement where each made the other's props so as to avoid overseas shipping costs. It makes good sense, but I don't know if it's true or not. Maybe Greg would know.

IIRC~! Yes! Supreme and Abbott's had "that" arrangement. It made sense (postage and customs).
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
goodingda
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of goodingda
It's interesting to compare the quality of Abbotts and Supreme. Supreme has always been excellent (at least the props I've had). Abbott's quality is all over the place. If it was built by Glenn or Bud West it was usually great stuff. But, some props from Abbott that look like they were made by a high school shop student!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Arturo props (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL