The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Source for large half-dyed silks (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Hi guys and gals,
I'm looking for some half-dyed silks bigger than 15". I can't seem to find anything larger than that anywhere. Anyone got any sources?
Thanks!
Eddie Ivan Torres
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You can contact Richard Hughes here on the Café, and email him for custom made set in the size and color you desire.

Then contact Pop Haydn for his special gimmick that fits silks that are for 24 inch silks.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, I made the larger silks for Pop Haydn.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I had Richard make me half-dyed hanks in 24" in both 5 and 6 momme. After a lot of experimenting, I decided it wouldn't work very well, and went back to the 18" silks for the Half-Dyed.

I would not use 24" silks for the half-dyed effect. The gimmick would have to be larger than the ones I currently use in my Color-Changing Silks. 18" to 20" silks are about as big as practical for Billy McComb's effect.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Pop, I am confused, didn't you make a video showing your routine with 24" silks and your special larger gimmick?

Please explain, doesn't the gimmick work with 24" silks any longer?
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Yes, but for the McComb routine, the gimmick has to hold a silk plus one third. There is a point at which more than a third of the half-dyed is "out" and all of the other silk is in, plus a finger. Two gimmicks the size of my 24" gimmick wouldn't do it for the half-dyed hank with 24" silks. It might work with 20" silks.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Okay, I guess it was only your Color Changing Silk routine you did, and not used the Half Dyed version.
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Thank you, gentlemen. Much appreciated!
Eddie Ivan Torres
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Half dyed hanks can be made in any size or shape. I did a 18" Diamond silk for Phil Wilmarth that looked good. Because it is stretched most of the time, it does not matter that it is a diamond.

Since I hem and dye all my own stuff, it is easy to make any size needed. A 22" silk is a better cut for me on my bolts. That ends up about 21" finished.

The point is there are a lot of options that one can go if one wants a larger silk.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
I have gotten several 18" half dye silks will try to see whom I got them from. Mine were a stock item, I am sure Richard would also make the size you want , but with the different methods out there I would not go larger than an 18.

I do my half dye to music - no talkng (not the McComb routine) with a P@L€O and it gets great reactions.
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Who makes the best Half dyed silk. I have levents dvd, Just pricing up the silks, I live in UK, Thanks,
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Wally, I like these more defined Half dyed silks.

http://www.dazzlingmagic.com/products/Ha......Set.html

Complete set plus gimmick and instructions.

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Billy-McCombs......oryId=-1

Gimmick only.

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Half-Dyed-Sil......oryId=-1

Instructions only.

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Instant-Instr......oryId=-1

Abbott's Silk set only, notice the silks in the photo.

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Half-Dyed-Sil......oryId=-1
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Billy McComb didn't like a defined edge to the dyed scarf. He thought it should look like the scarf was being dyed in the hand and the process stopped. The squeeze of the fist would make the dying process look like tie dye, with a very messy line. He would even use red marker on a silk that was dyed with too straight a line. The Abbott's photo of the silks shows the half dyed silk to have a very ill defined line for the colors.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Source for large half-dyed silks (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL