The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Since I can't find any "magnetic" die... (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
...I am wondering if I could make my own. I'm actually not sure if I need a die with an actual magnet inside, or some steel. If you are familiar with Axel Hecklau's "Just A Cup", the die I need would be like the one he uses. I'm not sure if his is "shimmed" or what.

I am willing to destroy dozens of dice in order to learn what I need to learn, but any advice would be lovely, as well.

The main reason I want this is to be able to control the die in the same manor Axel does with his cup. (like how the die can be removed against gravity, under cover of the hand.)

Anyone have any advice? I am willing to try anything, as I cant find an already made product online that doesn't cost over a hundred bucks.

Thanks ahead of time friends! Smile Smile Smile

Cheers,
Race
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Drill into the die from a center spot, fill with metal shavings and melt plastic back into the hole. Repaint the hole and she's done.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Custom Magnetic Dice can be purchased here:

http://www.jamesriser.com/Magic/JamesRiserMagic.html

Scroll down the page to Chop Dice Pairs.
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2016, Chris Stolz wrote:
Drill into the die from a center spot, fill with metal shavings and melt plastic back into the hole. Repaint the hole and she's done.

Smile What he said....
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2016, Chris Stolz wrote:

Thank you! I actually found a gal on etsy who casts die for a fairly reasonable price and she is going to try and make one for me with a steel ball inside. (but I'm having her make me a 20 sided die for a different purpose)

I will try this for sure! Any advice on the best way to acquire the shavings? (I know they say there are no stupid questions, but that might be the one lol) Smile
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2016, Michael Baker wrote:

GENIUS!!!!
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2016, Michael Baker wrote:

Reading the thread, I was thinking..."what a pain to shave down some metal...where would you get some?" Leave it to Michael.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Elrondo
View Profile
New user
Germany
42 Posts

Profile of Elrondo
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2016, Race Blakhart wrote:
Thank you! I actually found a gal on etsy who casts die for a fairly reasonable price and she is going to try and make one for me with a steel ball inside. (but I'm having her make me a 20 sided die for a different purpose)

I will try this for sure! Any advice on the best way to acquire the shavings? (I know they say there are no stupid questions, but that might be the one lol) Smile

I own a few different "magic" dice'.
What is the effect or benefit of a steel ball comparing to other shimmed dice'?
Knock knock...
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
Opaque dice, 1/16" bit, 1mm x 3mm cylinder neodymium magnet via eBay, super glue, flat black paint.
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
There are some really diabolical ones used by cheats that can be made fair or foul just by taping them. I just spent a day with Dr. X. and he could blow you away with what he knows about gambling. Not my cup of tea but very interesting none the less.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
Go to an auto shop that can true up brake drums. If you ask, they will probably let you have a bucket full for free. I filled a gallon jug in the early 1980s and still have a lifetime supply.

BTW
If you like to label with alchemical symbols, a male sign, horizontal, pointing to the right, with three dots above the horizontal line.
O----->

Sorry, it won't let me move the dots over to the right... You get the idea.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Since I can't find any "magnetic" die... (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL