The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Looking for copper coins (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chuck Finley
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of Chuck Finley
I am hoping that someone out there can point me in the right direction in my search for coins.
I need three coins that are copper which appear to be the same coin on at least one side. They do not have to be identical they just have to appear similar enough that they will represent a casual appearance of one another. They also need to be three different sizes i.e. small, medium, and large. The large needs to be half dollar size. So maybe if the large were an English penny and if anyone knows if there are two smaller coins that look like them?

I thank you in advance for any help that is given.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Hmmmm. I know there are large American pennies and then the regular ones. Does any coin have the wheat or regular penny back that's in the middle
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I have some half-pennies that look identical to English pennies and are the size of a quarter. But I don’t know of any third match.

Jim
Jamie-boy
View Profile
Regular user
Berea, Ohio
186 Posts

Profile of Jamie-boy
Kyoki,

Try one ounce copper bullion coins. Mine has the "wheaty" reverse that you are looking for. It is a replica (larger) of a 1909 V.D.B. one cent piece. My batch came from the Golden State Mint. Check the major auction site.

Jim
James Sievert
Sleight of Hand Hobbyist since 1990.
Bassist since 1973.
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
Sounds like an English penny, British half penny, and a Canadian penny. Half dollar, quarter, penny in size. None are 'rare' and therefore should be priced reasonably. I think I was getting English pennies at a coin show for 50 cents to a dollar, the half pennies for the same.

If you don't mind Elizabeth 'getting older' You can get a newer than '64 Canadian penny... some are attracted magnetically.

http://nanjilkart.com/image/data/PHILATA......s/59.jpg
http://www.predecimal.com/images/halfpenny1967wide.jpg
http://www.coincommunity.com/canadian_sm......-016.jpg

Those are all REALLY close on the one side with Elizabeth on it.

~Craig
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Old Austrailian Penny's might fill the bill
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
The half dollar sized Penny you speak of is an old style penny from the UK. I would get a current English penny, a current English 2 pence and the old style penny. That combo should fit the bill, with all the head side the same. Look for pennys from the 80s/90s if you want them tarnished as much as the old style coins (pre 1967).
Chuck Finley
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of Chuck Finley
Thank you to everyone so so much I don't have coin shops in my little town so I'm not sure what is what just over the Internet. I really do appreciate the help.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2016, Jamie-boy wrote:
Kyoki,

Try one ounce copper bullion coins. Mine has the "wheaty" reverse that you are looking for. It is a replica (larger) of a 1909 V.D.B. one cent piece. My batch came from the Golden State Mint. Check the major auction site.

Jim

thanks! $2.70!ea. on the big site. free shipping. "Old Posts Matter"....

Smile
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
For a smaller coin, look for a British farthing.
If you have the penny, the half-penny and the farthing with the same King or Queen on the heads side, they'll all look the same.
"But there isn't a door"
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
Dollarbill. I have those same replica pennies. I really like them. They're just a little bigger than an Ike. It's too bad they weren't the same size. Then they'd fit in my dollar sized okito box. They're great for doing transposition effects with the Ikes. Also switches. The milling on the edge is nice too.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
I went with that one because of the milling. Hopefully it will let me CP it. I tried for 2 months to CP a dollar coin but I just couldn't get it. I just need to ring it into a matrix so CP is really isn't an issue, thank God! Smile
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
I don't think you'll have any trouble classic palming them. I've got one in palm as I type this;). They're also great for the coin roll down. I do this with three coins instead of four. The copper really looks good in your hand.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2018, Signet wrote:
Dollarbill. I have those same replica pennies. I really like them. They're just a little bigger than an Ike. It's too bad they weren't the same size. Then they'd fit in my dollar sized okito box. They're great for doing transposition effects with the Ikes. Also switches. The milling on the edge is nice too.

I've got some of those dollar sized Lincoln pennies but the edges aren't milled.
I got some extras to match a Sun/Moon set from Lassen's (no longer available) clad line, and he shaved them down to fit the shell.
You can probably have someone do the same for yours so they'll fit your Okito box.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2018, Dollarbill wrote:
I went with that one because of the milling. Hopefully it will let me CP it. I tried for 2 months to CP a dollar coin but I just couldn't get it. I just need to ring it into a matrix so CP is really isn't an issue, thank God! Smile

I should add that I meant, practiced cp with a dollar sized penny coin from my Samoya set that is "Not" milled on the edges. see post below! 😁
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
I received my coins today. holy cheesus! Wow these things are nice! My CP looks way better w/ the milled edge coin. But needs tons of practice! Ill still stick w/ my Barbers but I am really thinking about going to WL. Barbers are quiet tho. Dollar coins are out of the budget. Super Happy with this purchase! D.B. Collectables, in Manhatten, KS.
And yes! there is NO affiliation with this company! 😛 Thanks again Jamie-Boy! 1909 club. haha! db
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2018, inigmntoya wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2018, Signet wrote:

I've got some of those dollar sized Lincoln pennies but the edges aren't milled.
I got some extras to match a Sun/Moon set from Lassen's (no longer available) clad line, and he shaved them down to fit the shell.
You can probably have someone do the same for yours so they'll fit your Okito box.

I have the Lassen as well not milled. Its what I practiced. Time to go check the date! ha! As stated earlier tho, you can buy them smooth edged. Smile.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Irish, "hen and chick" pennies (30.9 m bronze) are readily available at reasonable costs.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Looking for copper coins (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL