The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » How should I report this? Copyright infringement (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On May 24, 2016, writeall wrote:
It seems like someone putting commercial DVDs on Youtube would be subject to a DCMA take down.

You don't need a legal document to get videos taken down from youtube. They will do it simply by request from the aggrieved party. All they have to do is cite copyright infringement and youtube will take it down.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Yes - If it's a commercial product the owner of the product can have it taken down fairly easily. There's a form to fill out and it's usually gone within 24 hours. If the channel has too many reports of that nature, it is often completely disabled and the account holder will not be able to monetize future accounts.

A not-insignificant amount of my day-job is filing copyright infringement reports. YouTube is really good about yanking videos, Google (Blogspot, mostly) is OK but their form is much more time consuming to fill out.

It does have to be an upload of published material though. Someone just revealing a trick is not violating anything unless they claim to be associated with the creator/owner of the material being revealed.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
SvenSigma
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
151 Posts

Profile of SvenSigma
I think this highly depends on applicable local or international law. For blatant copies (e.g. if somewhat would upload a Penguin live lecture) there is a clear breach of copyright.

For exposure ("XYZ revealed" videos) that may be different. At least in my home country (Germany) it would be diffcult. Not being a lawyer I know that "ideas cannot be copyrighted." So exposing an idea would be legally OK, albeit not ethical.

Between the two, there may be gray areas.

Ideas could be patented, but then again patents must be published. So if you invent a new version of a coin box and patent it, somebody could actually read it in the patent documents and reveal it. If they started selling the boxes as such, that would be another story.

Anyhow, I'm no lawyer, I might be wrong.
It takes a baby in the belly six months to learn how to put the thumb in the mouth.

The rest of life is essentially the same problem.

Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Have you tried contacting Youtube? I don't think it's a good idea to engage as this might infuriate the poster,
only causing him to leak more.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
263 Posts

Profile of donny
"Magic and Illusion" youtube user has infact been removed for "reported violations"! I'm happy.
It's not their senses that mislead, it's their assumptions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » How should I report this? Copyright infringement (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL