The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Under 50 posts » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Koby
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Koby
Hi there, as a younger magician, I feel that I do not have the knowledge to make 50 posts that aren't just fillers in the forum. I would really like to make well written out posts but I lack the "magic" to do so. Therefore I wanted to suggest that the Buy and Sell section of the forum, which is not available for members with <50 posts, should be accessible for those users, but those users could not post on that part of the forum. Would this be possible? Thank you so much for the help, everyone has been great on the forums in the past few days.

~Koby
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I'm surprised no one else ever brought this up!

I've been waiting 6 years myself to access that area.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Very confusing suggestion. You want to have access to the buy/sell forums even if you have less than 50 posts but don't want to be able to post on those forums.

I think what you mean is that you would like to have the rules changed so that members with less than 50 posts could access the for sale forums. Those forums are provided as a courtesy to members who contribute regularly. It's a benefit of being with us and adding to the discussions. If we changed the rule and allowed everyone access to those forums, we would be overrun with members who are here just for that purpose and not to help other magicians which is the reason for the Café.

There are many forums to choose from to increase your knowledge of magic and I'm sure there are some that interest you. It isn't hard to make legitimate posts if you are interested in a subject.
Where the magic begins
Koby
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Koby
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2016, Dave Scribner wrote:
Very confusing suggestion. You want to have access to the buy/sell forums even if you have less than 50 posts but don't want to be able to post on those forums.

I think what you mean is that you would like to have the rules changed so that members with less than 50 posts could access the for sale forums. Those forums are provided as a courtesy to members who contribute regularly. It's a benefit of being with us and adding to the discussions. If we changed the rule and allowed everyone access to those forums, we would be overrun with members who are here just for that purpose and not to help other magicians which is the reason for the Café.

There are many forums to choose from to increase your knowledge of magic and I'm sure there are some that interest you. It isn't hard to make legitimate posts if you are interested in a subject.

I complete understand what you are saying however I would like to clear my idea and remove confusion. If people were to only see the forums, they could scan items for sale and private message those selling/buying. They would not be able to scam by selling, which is easier to do than fraudulent buying. I see that it is a benefit of being with the forum, but I feel that specific "reward" of posting, should not be implemented as a reward. I don't think that the forum would be overrun with members who are here for that purpose because it would be the same as the many lurking members here. Thank you for your reply.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Again, the let's make a deal forum is a benefit to those who contribute regularly. Allow the section to be viewed, allowing PM's to be sent if interested, diminishes the benefit for those that do contribute. It's provided as a courtesy and not a right. It's like reaping a benefit without paying the dues.
Where the magic begins
MazingMandy
View Profile
Special user
Has tolerated the trolls here for
676 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2016, Salguod Nairb wrote:
I'm surprised no one else ever brought this up!

I've been waiting 6 years myself to access that area.

Waiting? One post a month would have done it. Surely you can find /something/ to post on ? What areas of magic are you interested in? Go find that forum and post a question, or comment on an ongoing discussion.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
MazingMandy,

Salguod Nairb actually has over 2400 posts. But he only posts in areas where the posts don't count. I believe he's hoping that eventually the 2 posts he's credited with will be deleted, putting him in contention for the -1 record currently held by Joe Pon.

He's a man with a mission!
Koby
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Koby
I saw the limit as a way to deter fraud and scamming from one posting accounts baiting for paypal money, I did not see it as a privilege or a benefit. I guess that settles it?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
This is from our rules forum.

Quote:
As of late, I have seen an influx of new members joining The Café just to use this area. They do not contribute valuable information, yet take advantage of the benefits we offer our members.
Because of this, we have implemented a new policy for this trading area. Like The Banquet Room, members must have made at least 50 legitimate posts before they can access the Let's make a magic deal! forums.
Further, new members who surf through our forums posting useless information to achieve this goal will have their posts deleted, and risk the chance of losing all future posting privledges.

Given the large volume of visitors to The Café each day, and the quality that these members have come to expect, we think this is a fair policy.
Where the magic begins
Mad Jake Jr.
View Profile
New user
Willis Warf, Va.
25 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake Jr.
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2016, Dave Scribner wrote:

Can you do that for Jake Jr., what you talked about above, just so Jf. Can at least have a look at the area.

Thanks,
Mad Jake Sr.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
No, I didn't say there was anything I could do. All members must have 50 to view the let's make a deal forums. It's a benefit of posting not a right.
Where the magic begins
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Koby -- a few thoughts:

I admire the constructive and respectful way you posted your suggestion. I can see the benefit of your plan. It would create a larger potential market of buyers, and that would benefit Café members who have things to sell. At the same time, being able to sell things on the board would continue to be a benefit reserved for members who have reached at least 50 posts. It's possible that the software that runs the Café can't make a distinction at that level -- access to a particular forum may be an all-or-nothing proposition -- but if the sofware can do it, I can certainly see the merit in your suggestion.

Your post notes that you don't feel you "have the knowledge" to contribute 50 useful posts. Thank you for your interest in making substantial contributions, rather than simply spamming forums in an effort to dash to 50 posts.

Let me suggest that you are probably able to contribute more than you realize. Here are some ways you might do that:

1. Ask good questions. While you may not have a lot of answers for people, a discussion board also needs questions. You can post questions that will serve as great discussion starters. Too often questions from new users boil down to "How did that guy on AGT do that trick?" That's not the kind of question I'm talking about. But you can ask questions about the art, about practice habits, about audience management, about finding gigs, about developing a persona. You can ask for resources related to something you're trying to learn. You can ask for clarification of a point you don't understand. Good discussions need good questions.

2. Recommend resources. You're a younger magician -- fine. But you're not a complete outsider -- you're interested in the craft. What are you reading? (Hopefully you're reading something.) What (and who) are you watching? You may not be the first to comment on a particular resource or trick, but you can always search for existing discussions and add to them. There's so much magic in the world today that nobody can keep up with all of it (even Penn and Teller have been fooled by marketed effects). So even if something has been out for a few years, there are always going to be magicians discovering it for the first time, and turning to the Magic Café for insights and reviews. (For instance, I only learned about "Up the Ante" a few weeks ago, and when I did, I turned to the Magic Café for more information.)

3. Warn others away from things that disappoint. When I visit the Magic Café, I'm looking for more than suggestions of things to buy. I also want to know what to stay away from. If you read a book or watch a video or buy a trick and you wind up feeling that you've wasted your money, post a warning. (Be polite, realize that the creator may read your post, and don't expose methods, but a "don't buy this" warning is at least as useful a contribution as a "buy this" recommendation.)

4. Tell stories. We want to hear about that performance of yours that just killed, so we can share your joy. And we want to hear about that time when you bombed, so we can offer sympathy and tell you our own sad stories. One thing that brings people to the Magic Café is the sense of community, and the opportunity to share life experiences with people who have similar obsessions.

I'm sure you have a lot to offer this community, and look forward to your contributions.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
CalebRose
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of CalebRose
Doug Trouten:
Quote:
"Tell stories. We want to hear about that performance of yours that just killed, so we can share your joy. And we want to hear about that time when you bombed, so we can offer sympathy and tell you our own sad stories. One thing that brings people to the Magic Café is the sense of community, and the opportunity to share life experiences with people who have similar obsessions."

This is so beautiful and well said. This is the exact reason why I love the Magic Café. I especially love the reference to magic being an obsession because at least for me that is what it is exactly. I think about it all the time and am constantly doing something magical or in that arena.

As far as the fifty posts, yes it is not so difficult to achieve. There is some great advice on finding out what your interested in and adding to the conversation. You do not have to be a master sleight of hand artist to say something meaningful.
Mad Jake Jr.
View Profile
New user
Willis Warf, Va.
25 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake Jr.
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2016, Dave Scribner wrote:
No, I didn't say there was anything I could do. All members must have 50 to view the let's make a deal forums. It's a benefit of posting not a right.

I posted a request which makes me just as ignorant as the other poster wanting special treatment.

My sincerest apology Dave.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Somehow, we are losing the concept of EARNED. A key element of a profession is that professionals "Contribute" to the profession. Professional status is an EARNED DISTINCTION. Exposure is not the objective of The Magic Café. However, I find the "dues" very low.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Doug, that should be a sticky!!!
Excellent thoughts.

Ed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Under 50 posts » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (11 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL