The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Chinese Sword Cabinet (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicianAnthony
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of MagicianAnthony
Hello,
I'm looking for plans to this illusion. Does anyone know where I can find them?

I'm being asked to find plans for a 1800's sword through lady box with 6 blades. I'm not sure there was such a box so I'm looking for the next best thing if one doesn't exist.
An Evening of Magic and Illusion - Chinese Sword Cabinet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5lYQNkW2Y8

I was also wanting to know if I took,
Sword Cabinet - Osborne Workshop Plans
And cut the head out of the top if it would still work like the box in the video probably not. The head hast to show.

I'm helping a theatre with a play and they said they would build me an illusion however it would have to fit the specification of the play. At least 6 swords and one thru the neck.

Thanks,
Magician Anthony
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Osborne has created hundreds of workshop plans, they are in his books. Read this topic: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=7

Maybe someone with the books can chime in.

You could also contact the person in the YouTube video and see if he will help you.

As for a sword going thru horizontally, you would have to attach Abbott's Sword Thru Neck illusionette to the top of the box somehow. Then purchase the sword for the Abbott's sword thru body illusion they sell, as you would need the longer sword.

Now there is not one method that fits all sword cabinets, so you cannot just cut a hole and think it will work.

I would not trust a theater company to build an illusion unless they hire the best cabinet maker and wood craftsman around, or hired an illusion builder to make the illusion. This would take a year or more depending on the schedule of the builder. There are safety conditions to consider.
MagicianAnthony
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of MagicianAnthony
Thank you Mr. Bill Hegbli.

After reviewing your words
"
Quote:
There are safety conditions to consider.
"

Your right, so I have decided to create my own illusion rather then spend money on plans and things that I have no idea how they work then be unhappy because its not what I imagined. So I'll use my imagination to create a one of a kind illusion that will fit the Theatres needs and I can use on my stage as well.. After all they are willing to build it for free so I'll surprise them when I tell them I'll pay for materials to build it.
David_N
View Profile
New user
Lancashire, England
93 Posts

Profile of David_N
Hi Anthony

The effect shown on the video is very like an illusion called 'Blade Runner' that features in Andrew Mayne's book 'Solo-X'.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The referenced video does have the missing qualities of a grand illusion, which as seemed to creep into modern day illusion shows. Not showing the box empty before, or opening the box to show the torso impelled or missing as in the classic type of illusions, does lean toward more simplistic thinking, and therefore requires the performer to put more effort in selling the presentation of the illusion effect. That would be along the lines of Andrew Mayne's type of illusion effects.
dttruman
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of dttruman
Has anyone past or present tried to recreate and perform the "Vertical Swords and Blade Box" illusion first presented by the Shermans back in the early 1960's

https://www.magicgettogether.com/gallery......rms3.jpg

https://www.magicgettogether.com/gallery......rms4.jpg
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Illusion was called "Noma"

Blair
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Chinese Sword Cabinet (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL