The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Hofzinser - "Poetry of conjuring"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rsouthard
View Profile
New user
Farmington, ME
13 Posts

Profile of rsouthard
Hello,

I'm beginning a research project around classical magic and its connection to poetry and/or other literature. A few things inspired this idea, but of course, one of the more significant examples was Hofzinser's supposed quote, in which he called card magic the "poetry of conjuring". While I've heard this quote around plenty of places, I've yet to see it explained anywhere further, and I've yet to find any writings of Hofzinser or his students that develop the idea more.

Is there anywhere I should look? I know that Magic Christian wrote a few volumes around Hofzinser's life, which might be a good place to look. However, before paying the expensive price of the books, I wanted to be sure where to look.

Thanks for any assistance!

-R.S.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
I have the book you mentioned, but I am not certain on your objective. Do you want examples of magicians reciting poetry while performing magic?

The closest example I can think off the top of my head is Ricky Jay's Four Queens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNUepjt6QmI

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reY68mDYFKk

There are no limits to performance style with magic.

I am not an expert on Hofzinser, but I believe that statement was a metaphor for describing card magic.

If I have a better idea of what you want I may be able to help you with the question if the book would be a good resource.
rsouthard
View Profile
New user
Farmington, ME
13 Posts

Profile of rsouthard
Hello, and thanks for the examples,

I'm looking to find if Hofzinser talked more about the relationship between magic and poetry, and if he possibly adapted the two with one another. I'm unsure if the book, or if any other publications, has anything to offer on that subject.

Thanks for the help.
steve ehlers
View Profile
Loyal user
Tucson AZ
287 Posts

Profile of steve ehlers
The two people I can think of that performed using poetry was Dell Odell, and I think that Rene Lavand had a couple of things along the line you are looking for.

Steve
Darcy Brown
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
60 Posts

Profile of Darcy Brown
Have found something of a source and context for the quotation.

In a letter to his friend in Trieste, Carlo Marchini, Hofzinser wrote:
"I declare: Card pieces are the poetry of the art of conjuring. Without poetry, no poet. Without card tricks, no conjurer, even if they could do the impossible like witchcraft."

Hope this helps.

Best,
Darcy
Eric Fry
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of Eric Fry
He could be using the word "poetry" in the figurative sense of something that is artistic, elegant, beautiful, imaginative, and so on.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Dell O'Dell did a lot of magic in rhyme.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Just came across this today: - Magic in Rhyme by Bill Rauscher. You may want to check this out here:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S21266?action=wishlist

This may produce exaclty what you have been looking for.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
This is a poem that I wrote back in the mid-60's to go with some card flourishes--fans, cuts, armspreads, Audley Walsh Long Distance Side Spinner...

_THE CARD MANIPULATOR_
by
Amado Narvaez

Silent, unmoving,
Not in the least alive.
Awaiting the hand of a miracle man,
These cards forty-seven and five.

Delicately, assuredly,
The deck with his fingers he squares;
And then with a quick, simple finger-flick,
He gives them unparalleled airs.

They form semi-circles, complex and perplexing.
They fly from his hands as with ease.
They’re wonders of beauty, fulfilling their duty
The general public to please.

But again they are silent. He puts them aside.
Their energy leaves as it came.
But I should expect that their wondrous effect
Will be felt when he holds them again.
----- Sonny Narvaez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Hofzinser - "Poetry of conjuring"? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL