The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Female character role models (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Ladies (and gents), what female magicians can you point me to that are good examples of a well-defined character that creates their own reality? I don't mean someone who stands in front of the audience and shows them tricks, but a character that creates a whole world for the audience and invites them in for a little stay. I can think of many male magicians who have such a character. Pop Haydn, Mac King, Woody Pittman, Rob Zabrecky and Dan Sperry come to mind. But I can't think of any women with such characters.

There are women magicians I really like for other reasons. Jade, for instance, for her control of the stage, Suzanne for her connection with audiences, etc. But as for a character who creates a whole world for their magic, I can't think of any.

Can you?
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Sheri Lewis had a great character and a cast of "friends " that populated her world.

I know she did some Magic as well as Puppetry. She was quite an Entertainer.

Probably not what you were looking for but Sheri deserves a mention.

-Mary Mowder
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Misty Lee, Sophie Evans and Lisa Menna all work from character.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
How about Tina Lenert? (not sure of correct spelling)

Julie
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2016, Julie wrote:
How about Tina Lenert? (not sure of correct spelling)

Julie

Tina has one routine I know of that is character driven, but in general she's not a character magician.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2016, Mary Mowder wrote:
Sheri Lewis had a great character and a cast of "friends " that populated her world.

I know she did some Magic as well as Puppetry. She was quite an Entertainer.

Probably not what you were looking for but Sheri deserves a mention.

-Mary Mowder

Mary, I had quite a crush on Sheri as a young lad. Her father was the official magician of NYC. They wrote a book on magic for beginners, which I have. Yes, she was a magician.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Shari was inspirational for me as well.

Her characters were direct and witty and when I was young, Women did not get many chances to express themselves fully in public. Some of the things Shari's Puppets said were borderline scandalous and would not have been allowed if not for her Puppet fronts.

When people wonder why Women haven't succeeded at the same rates as Men, they should realize that Women have been held back from saying what they would really like to in many cases. If a Woman says something that is too edgy she will be chastised or judged far more harshly than Men.
If a Woman is demanding and detail oriented she probably won't be called a strong leader (i hate to say what she will probably be called). There is a real double standard that holds us all back because this is bad for Men too.

We are not training and utilizing some of out best talent in a world that needs all creative minds to offer solutions to our mutual problems.

-Mary Mowder
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2016, Mary Mowder wrote:
When people wonder why Women haven't succeeded at the same rates as Men, they should realize that Women have been held back from saying what they would really like to in many cases. If a Woman says something that is too edgy she will be chastised or judged far more harshly than Men.

I am quite edgy in my shows, which are for adult audiences. I'm careful about where I do it, but I talk about the Hitachi magic wand and have a lot of double entendres, but I gear them all to women. Women are in on the jokes, and they are meant for women. Men kind of go along for the ride. After one joke, I always tell the guys to ask their wives to explain it to them. It's part of my character. I've surprisingly not been chastised for it. Maybe it's because I do it in conspiracy with the women in the audience. I dunno. But I purposefully walk right out to the edge and stick my toe over it. I wish more women would take those kinds of risks. We are generally too cautious, imho.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Shari sometimes went to a restaurant and shocked people by ordering lamb chops.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Look into Malin Nilsson and Gwen the Butterfly Girl.
Official Thread Killer
paulapaul
View Profile
Regular user
Nevada
173 Posts

Profile of paulapaul
I looked at numerous prototypes to draw from, for character development. Among materials I found was a book titled The Goddesses in Everywoman. A wide variety of female dieties with awesome powers, with characteristics from strong thru soft and others between.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
Has anyone heard of Del O'Dell she had a Shop in Hollywood, Calif and a TV Show in the mid-50's.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I've started reading the book about her.

She had and was quite a character.
She was famous for doing Magic in a rhyming scheme.

She was also a great juggler and balancer as well as being a "Strong Woman" in both senses of the word. She could balance a couch on her chin and climb up and down a ladder.

I would love to see film of her.

-Mary Mowder
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Shari was friend and a regular guest on my radio and television programs for several decades. She was quite inspirational and in some cases groundbreaking. She understood entertainment and the business of entertainment. I always enjoyed out times together and she was never one in a hurry or to make you feel rushed. She once told me she enjoyed talking "business" with me as I think we both taught and helped each other over the years. She knew she made a difference and touched many, yet remained both strong and humbled.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
Mary- Whats the name of Dels book-- When in high school(mid 54s ) she had amature/simi pros guest on her TV Show- I was to be on it doing the 100ft rope tie- when We arrived(buddy who was to tie me & I)- the Studio Guard told us the Show was canceled the week befor -though no one told us-of course I was just a kid and didn't have the smarts to call and confirm the gig, OHHHHH Memories. Ralph(russo)Roussau
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Wow, tough break Ralph. Interesting memory but I know it still smarts.

The book is: Don't Fool Yourself, (That's my Work) The Magical Life of Dell O'Dell

https://www.amazon.com/Dont-Fool-Yoursel......89231720

-Mary Mowder
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
Thanks Mary - . - yeah - memories- even at 79(80 , June'17) Ralph(russo)Rousseau
TheWickedWitchOfTheWeb
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of TheWickedWitchOfTheWeb
Mandy Muden and Romany both fit the brief asked for in the original post
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
779 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Becky Blaney. Comedy Magician personified.
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
The Sacred Riana
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Female character role models (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL