The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » From Punishment to Reward (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Jamie,

I taught the lesson last Wednesday in AWANA and used your "from punishment to reward" trick. When I cut the strips of paper in half and showed them restored, at least the kids thought so, the kids were amazed. I didn't realize I would get that kind of a reaction.

Thanks again for sharing that trick.

Tom
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
Hey Tom,
Thanks for the encouraging word! People don't realize the strength of that effect until they perform a version of it.
Glad it worked for you. Awaiting the next few issues that use a common prop that most magician's have -- and later, a jumbo Christmas card trick.

Blessings!
Jamie
Jamie Doyle
International President - Fellowship of Christian Magicians
jamiedoylemagic.com
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I look forward to them.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
When I had Prostate surgery(successful)- Thought up an effect- take two sheets of typing paper - with your worries written on them - tear them 3-4 times- then bring out a string of Angels(like paper dolls)-- I named them HOPE(to get well)--FAITH(that I Am getting well)) -PATIENCE( while getting well) and JOY(GOD made me well). Its like the Laundry Ticket or Bunnies paper tear. OK?? Ralph(russo)Rousseau
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
Great idea Russo! I've love cut/torn and restored effects like that!
Jamie Doyle
jamiedoylemagic.com
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
Use it anytime- if you want, I love to share/coach-etc.(after 70 years simi-pro) - so- go to "search" put in 'russo' user name - many Ideas (and personal comments if you want to wade through them L-O-L) Ralph(russo)Rousseau
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
Well Russo - You rock!
Jamie Doyle
jamiedoylemagic.com
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Nice article in the latest "Voice of the FCM" Jamie! Very flashy colorful latest issue.
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
Roger,
Thanks! I created this series with the extras to try and boost membership... if you're current on your membership, you get that kind of access. I am wishing and hoping more of the contributors would consider doing something similar.

Either way, I enjoy sharing the material and I'm glad you like it.
Jamie Doyle
jamiedoylemagic.com
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Yep, Jamie I'm current on my membership with the FCM Smile I was very blessed years ago to be awarded a "Lifetime Membership" in the FCM so I don't have to pay dues anymore. The most recent "Voice of the FCM" magazine was outstanding I thought. With the FCM convention being in Indianapolis in 2017, just yet another reason to join the FCM. I can finally attend now after missing last year as I have been going on a missions trip in July (same month as FCM), but the convention is going to be in June this year which is fantastic. May be cooler weatherwise too. Hope to see you there!

Flashback: I attended my first FCM convention at Winona Lake in 1971 and was blown away by the lectures and excellence of John deVries, Bill Baker, and Jimmy Lake. There is a picture of me doing my goofy comedy solo act that year in one of the FCM issues- I did a "silk dying" routine where a little silk was produced hanging on a small gallows rather than changing color. I thought it was hilarious- it ended up in the picture- the routine was a series of "inside jokes" which would not have made it anywhere else for sure. But they put up with me anyway and laughed along.

The "pros" of Lake, Baker and deVries did Gospel magic that was extremely well routined with every word completely thought out. I saw John do his stuff over and over as I worked for him as his summer roadie and was always amazed by the accuracy and care he took for every illustration he did. Many of his props were custom made for him.

One routine I thought he did was a classic- but it was never copied for the enormous mess it made. John loved to do his over the top baking a cake in a hat trick- he put on a big apron and huge chef hat and then had his large flour sifter/egg beater get flour dust all over him so he looked like Casper the Friendly Ghost at the end. It was like a Curly of The Three Stooges type routine. Kids loved it and laughed like crazy as John covered himself with sifted flour, split multiple eggs and dumped all kinds of other ingredients into his hat. How John finally ended up with a cake in there I still am not 100% sure as I have long since forgotten his method- but it was a very clever secret no doubt. I don't remember if he tied it into a Gospel message or not or just used it to have fun with his audience.

Being a teacher/magician who has the treat of teaching about 50 kids every Sunday morning, I know first hand how Gospel magic holds the short attention span of children. Illustrations/tricks are about the easiest part of the 35 minutes I weekly do (I also lead music, tell stories, show short videos, etc.)before the kids break up into smaller Sunday School classrooms. Gospel magic, even in this age of advanced technology and every kid having his/her own cell phone or laptop, STILL works well! If the performer/teacher does the routines enthusiastically and joyfully, the kids are all in to it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » From Punishment to Reward (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL