The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Andrew Jones 3 card monte: hustle v magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
I read in NY Times that 3 card monte hustler, Mr Jones, has been arrested so many times, he's "retiring"! But why not turn the hustle into magic entertainment? What really is more lucrative these days? I'm talking about the street hustle and not the high stakes poker cons. Obviously, the "hustle" involves more than the trick itself... stooges who win, etc. But again, the busking magician 'hustles' for tips; and those who tip don't fell cheated. It's a win-win. Ricky Jay is someone who has a persona as a gambling card sharp hustler ("show me the money"); yet who is very good magician/actor/entertainer. Finally, although we know that magicians learn from hustlers... are there 'hustlers' out there today who've turned into professional magicians? Lynn
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
He could move to France as they have ruled it legal there.

Mind you there one still needs a gambling licence to offer it to the public.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2016, tommy wrote:
He could move to France as they have ruled it legal there.

Mind you there one still needs a gambling licence to offer it to the public.

I think one of the reasons he retired was "diminishing returns". New Yorkers are just too hip (or jaded) I guess. But France? Who knows? You'd need French stooges and have to develop a patter in French. Could be done. But what about a magic act? Ricky Jay did an excellent monte routine for TV. Why not the famous (or infamous) Andrew Jones? Lynn
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Do you know how much a good Monte team can clear?

What makes yoy think one can just jump into performance? It is nowhere near the Dane. Plus building up contacts to get bored. It is a transition that would take years to be anywhere near the income level.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
My family were in the racing game and we would often see it played at the large meetings. Despite the fact that everybody knew that they couldn’t win the Monte boys always seemed to find customers. It may not have been for entertainment purposes only but it was entertaining anyhow. A well-constructed drama you might say. My son of all people lost a grand playing it in Spain a few years ago. Such is life.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
Do you know how much a good Monte team can clear?

What makes yoy think one can just jump into performance? It is nowhere near the Dane. Plus building up contacts to get bored. It is a transition that would take years to be anywhere near the income level.

I don't really know how much a Monte team can clear. From the NY Times article, it seemed Mr. Jones lived "the street life". Ironically, he said he "wasn't in it for the money!" (had to laugh at that one). My question is genuine. I used to see a lot more monte players in the 60's, but not so much anymore. Is it because of people just being more hip, police harassment, or a combination of both. Monte players used to be more prevalent all over NY, including Central Park; so it was interesting that the last place Mr. Jones and others could still play their con was the Chelsea! On the West Coast, Monte players used to hustle UC Berkeley students; but I haven't seen a monte player out here in many years. Lynn
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You use a lot of exclamation points.

What makes you think it is just so easy to transition into entertainment?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yeah Danny!

A good 'flattie' like Thousand Faces Foxy, would never have considered going "legit". "Tossing the broad", "Nut games", etc., kept the old Dailey Bros. Circus on the road for years. A good "razzle" store agent, a good "spot the spot" worker would laugh at working a hanky pank.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Finally someone who understands and speaks my language.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Let me reframe the question. How lucrative is three card monte these days as compared to the 60's? Lynn
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Let's just say thast science grossly underestimated the birth rate of the average sucker.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The crowds at the races were huge in the old days and it made it easier to operate then. TVs and computers etcetera have killed the sporting life. They would stand out like a sore thumb in the sparse crowds there today. The surveillance and so on don’t help either. Wherever there are crowds in the city and so on there are cameras today. The fines for anything today are also astronomical.

Tommy
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Credit cards have been the biggest problem. People, especially tourists, don't carry large amounts of cash.

"Open" monte has gone underground, is now mostly "closed" monte--the Texas Twist and other two on one operations on the bus, at the car wash, in the pool hall, etc.

You can still find open monte in the parking lot at sports stadiums, concerts and other festival type events.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Becoming a cashless society hurt this sort of trade.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Thanx Pop and Danny! The original NY Times article suggested that Mr Jones retired simply because the youth weren't into it or maybe people were too hip. But I don't think the element of greed has diminished in any significant way. Being a cashless society, however, does put a kink in things. Even if you have an app for credit cards, there's a recordable transaction on there that's going to make some people balk. The whole topic got me started from seeing Bob Sheets do a shell and pea routine at a festival with mock betting ("we're just playing for love, folks"). However, being a professional magician and entertainer, he made some very nice tips at it! Again, thanx to all! Lynn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Andrew Jones 3 card monte: hustle v magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL