The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » If I don't join now, that will be another New Year's resolution I've broken! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mobius
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Mobius
Hello All
I’m sure my start in magic is not that different from others: got interested in magic as a kid when my father bought me a magic set, started doing the odd magic show at school fairs and birthday parties, spent a fortune on mail order effects before realising that a couple of good books (Bill Tarrs’ Now you see it, now you don’t and Hugard’s Expert Card Technique especially) were all I needed, started busking and doing shows as a teenager and then . . . I stopped and moved onto other things. I still did the occasional trick whenever I was asked but I never added anything new. For the next 20 years I did the same seven effects. It was enough for a small performance in a pub or at a party and, since I knew the material backwards, it went down very well. It was satisfying enough and I had no real desire to learn more.

Then I saw Derren Brown on TV and suddenly wanted to know a lot more about mentalism. I started getting hold of as many books and DVDs as I could afford, bought a ton of stuff, read indiscriminately and absorbed little. I had discovered one of the main problems of modern magic and mentalism. It’s too easy to get hold of stuff.! I was moving on to the next thing before I had fully appreciated what I had just learned. There was always the promise of something better. In the end I became a bit overwhelmed and felt guilty about the ton of expensive crap building up in my drawers. Also realised that I was still thinking like a magician and therefore doing mental magic rather than the type of mentalism I actually aspired to. The sad thing was that I had all these great effects but when I someone asked me to show them something I would inevitably get out the sponge balls. Ouch! In the end I got rid of most of it.

Then about two years ago I bought a subscription to Penguin Live. Suddenly I saw Looch, Atlas, Turner, Alan Nyman, Colin McLeod, Ian Rowlinson, Chris Smith et al perform and I was hooked again. But this time I was determined to do it right. I was more open to advice from others, more discerning about what I bought, I worked hard on developing my own effects and presentations, performed more frequently, and . . . retired the sponge balls. I still fall for the occasional overhyped, slickly videoed piece of junk but I don't think we ever grow out of that. I have my first wedding next summer, which has given me a focus to develop three strong strolling sets, and I am really looking forward to it. I also promised myself that by the end of this year I would stop lurking and become a part of the Magic Café community and get more involved. So, here I am . . .
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Mobius,

I enjoyed your back story.

My interest in Mental Magic has put me in a similar circumstance. I feel stuck. Congratulations for finding your way through it.

Glad you made your New Year's resolution come true.

-Mary Mowder
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Welcome to the Café! I love Penguin lectures.

Check out the Table Hoping thread...lots of good advice on strolling and wedding gigs...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Cyd13
View Profile
New user
Santa Cruz watsonvile Montery
1 Post

Profile of Cyd13
Welcome Mobius,

Yes I can sure Relate I was in the same boat I was just focusing as well on fooling people
and doing Tricks. as well as buying every prop,Gimmick,Book and DVD that Read "Rep Maker"
Penguin is Cool always a Great experience with them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » If I don't join now, that will be another New Year's resolution I've broken! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL