The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Performing Gospel Magic for a "Senior Community" (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Hi All: "StoryPoint" (located in several States) is opening a massive new "senior living community" only a few blocks from my home and church. My guess is a thousand new folks will be moving in there next February.

A singing medical doctor friend of mine who also plays guitar and I are going to ask if we can perform at the above complex our 50 minute long "Gospel Music and Gospel Magic" program. My friend Bryon will open and close our program singing Western and old school style Gospel classics. I will be doing 25 minutes of Gospel magic sandwiched in between.

This setting I believe will be more like a community room in this retirement complex for those seniors there with maybe some medical or physical limitations rather than performing in a more serious/docile nursing home where the residents require constant nursing care. These types of large condo like apartments (similar to "The Holland Home" in Grand Rapids) are designed to care for an individual from healthy retirement age through possible nursing home living (e.g. complete care for the rest of one's life).

Any advice from anyone out there who has done a similar program?

I intend to keep all my tricks flashy, not talk down/or use kiddie talk, use a microphone so all can hear, and do effects that are easy to see and maybe harken back to days gone by if possible. No card tricks.

Recently I bought at Family Christian Store on clearance a white canvas bag which had on it (of all things) a throw back ad from the U.S. Postal Service asking folks to get their own mail boxes. Part of the U.S. Mail City Collection I believe.

From this throwback canvas bag (I guess this is supposed to look like the carrier bag what the mailman used to use) I am going to take out the reliable "Ten Commandments Paper Tear" which DocHaley/Steve Varro still sells at www.GospelMagic.com - a trick which I saw John de Vries perform decades ago many times when I worked for him.

This simple tear and restored trick comes with a very involved lesson on the history of road placement for U.S. mail boxes- something I think the seniors will enjoy hearing about. Plus it has with it a good Gospel message on The Ten Commandments to boot.

Any other ideas for use in a Gospel magic program at a senior living community?

I recently saw on our local tv station a story how seniors and those in long term hospital stays often struggle with loneliness and how much they appreciate any type of live/interactive programs. See how FCMer "Wes Iseli The Charitable Magician" on pages 32-37 in the December 2016 issue of "The Linking Ring" goes about helping to meet this need.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
The white "looks used" bag referenced above is not on the Family Christian Store web site (item 1580905 None-handbagmai fashn 815). It has a model T type truck on it with the sign "Save Time Get A Mail Box United States Mail 11". The bag itself is recycled cotton and was made in India by "MADStyle- reMADe, Recycle.Refashion.Reality" Item # 5103 Re-Do.

Good luck finding it. The Family Christian Store in Kalamazoo, Michigan still has at least 2 of them in their clearance section in the back of the store, for 1/2 off the $44.99 purchase price if you are interested. Works perfect for introducing "The Ten Commandments" paper tear- although the bag cost more than the trick! Smile
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I have teamed up with a band in this type of environment.
Actually I was also the harp/harmonica player.

We bought wireless mic headsets.

I liked the option to move among the crowd.
In my Dr. Laugh portion, I did gospel vent and magic.
My improv background helped.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
Jim Austin has done a fabulous job of 'targeting' the senior market and has amassed a wealth info reaching this particular area. Check out Jim's website for material. Roger, as you may be aware, Jim is an FCM member!

Peace,
phill
Scripture, Sculptures & Surprises!
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
MagicBob always begins his programs with 5 minutes or so of "straight magic" done rapid fire to music. MagicBob says this immediately establishes to his audience that he has some entertaining skills worth watching, sets up credibility for presenting a Gospel message later on.

It just occurred to me a good way to open up my upcoming Gospel magic program at a nearby senior citizens complex is to do what I did many years ago (and a senior fellow I met posted this simple short routine on youtube 7 years ago - much appreciated- I have no idea how he actually did it).

This is a simple opening magical/musical routine (music by Arthur Stead) to start things off for the upcoming program.

To see it on www.youtube.com put "Color Changing Ball + Chen Lee Water Suspension + Chameleon Champagne" in the search box- that is the same short easy to do routine that I will be opening up with I think. Should be fun, my only concern is they may not be able to see it well, may have do instead (also posted on youtube) the equally simple (put in the search box): "Abbott's Florabella". I'll let you know how it works out, first program I have done for seniors only in more than a decade. I appreciate any comments like the above that you might have that I can learn from from for sure.

By the way, on www.CNN.com there was a great video piece on "The Magic Capitol Of The World" (Colon, Michigan) with Greg Bordner, Rick Fisher and Sterlini Magic.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
Often I would start my program with a 45 minute lecture???(actually 4 minutes L-O-L)on Illusion-Delusion-Confusion, using the Spot Card- Illusion(regular start) -Delusion(showing how its done??-ha ha) and Confusion, last set ending with the 8 spots- (saying "if you see too many -dont drive home") then I go to Verse , 2 Corinthians 4:1-2(the Living Bible, uses the words 'not here to TRICK you') - also you can then use the Verse 1 Corinthians 12:1-7(+). Hope you can use!!! Ralph(russo)Rousseau
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
I was "sharegiver" for both my parents into their 90's with various involvements with Senior Centers, care facilities and alleged "care professionals."
I wrote a book titled "ElderSeed" to guide those desiring to keep their elder person at home.

I did not often perform magic or even tell stories at many, but did observe others in their entertainment and teaching efforts.

So, I suggest that when performing for our elder kin, especially with any spiritual message, please consider:

1) any individual may have more experience with "doing the Lord's work" that you,
2) any may have more knowledge of Gospel than you,
3) that they be communication with our Lord at a level you do not understand.

Yup, the seeming distant stare out the window so easily written off as senility might be a heightened awareness.
If called on to preach in combination with your valued entertainment, please "explore with" rather than "preach to."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Good advice. My hopefully upcoming program is with a skilled physician/musician/singer- it will be a fun program- looking forward to it. Thanks for words of advice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Performing Gospel Magic for a "Senior Community" (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL