The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Card stock weight? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tom hughes
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of tom hughes
Hi... this may be a dumb question.

Does anybody know the weight of card stock used by supreme magic in kids effects like Farmyard frolics and Who's Who at the Zoo?

Trying to make a trick.

thanks!!

tom
http://www.ashevillemagic.com
http://www.themagictomshow.com
magician/magic show in asheville w.n.c.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have been looking for the kind of cardboard Supreme and other use, it is very different then anything on the general market.

Never found anything like what they use.
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Tom & Bill;
Happy and Healthy New Year to both of you.

Years ago when I used to visit Edwin during the Supreme Magic days conventions,
I was fortunate to see a lot of the operation and its printing and screening department.

Edwin used a stock known as Bristle Board for most of those great card stock props.
This board was very common in the U.K. but almost unheard of here. Supreme did a lot of
its silk screening and laminating in house, but shipped some jobs out to retired printers
nearby who used processes that today are not even used anymore.

Take a card or two with you to some of the bigger art supply centers in major cities
near where you live and explain that you are looking for Bristle Board like this. Once they
have it in hand, they may have the exact material for you or something very close.

It is a bit sad that as our technology expands with our modern times, that we often
lose the things that have worked for so long in the past.

I just checked in one of my notebooks from the old Supreme days, and saw that I had
made a note that Bristle board was used by many sign painters back then, so check with some
old time sign painters and they might be able to point you in the right direction.

I realize this post may not give you an exact supplier, but hopefully the info
will put you on the right track to find it, or an alternative here in the states.

All the Best
Marty
Nick Birch
View Profile
Regular user
Holmfirth, UK
160 Posts

Profile of Nick Birch
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2017, martini wrote:
Greetings Tom & Bill;
Happy and Healthy New Year to both of you.

Years ago when I used to visit Edwin during the Supreme Magic days conventions,
I was fortunate to see a lot of the operation and its printing and screening department.

Edwin used a stock known as Bristle Board for most of those great card stock props.
This board was very common in the U.K. but almost unheard of here. Supreme did a lot of
its silk screening and laminating in house, but shipped some jobs out to retired printers
nearby who used processes that today are not even used anymore.

Take a card or two with you to some of the bigger art supply centers in major cities
near where you live and explain that you are looking for Bristle Board like this. Once they
have it in hand, they may have the exact material for you or something very close.

It is a bit sad that as our technology expands with our modern times, that we often
lose the things that have worked for so long in the past.

I just checked in one of my notebooks from the old Supreme days, and saw that I had
made a note that Bristle board was used by many sign painters back then, so check with some
old time sign painters and they might be able to point you in the right direction.

I realize this post may not give you an exact supplier, but hopefully the info
will put you on the right track to find it, or an alternative here in the states.

All the Best
Marty

It's actually called 'Bristol board', named after the UK city of the same name. It's an uncoated, machine finished board available in several weights - 100, 200, 300lb stock with either a smooth or vellum finish. I believe Supreme used to screen onto 3-ply Bristol board. It's becoming harder to find but should still be available from good art shops your side of the pond.

Nick
www.darkartefacts.com

Purveyors of the finest handcrafted, bizarre artefacts and illusions. The Uninvited, Death Row Diner, The Koshkin Effect, Whiteface, Satan's Circus
tom hughes
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of tom hughes
Wow!!! Thank you so much to everyone who took the trouble to reply to this.

Time to track some of this down!

best

tom
http://www.ashevillemagic.com
http://www.themagictomshow.com
magician/magic show in asheville w.n.c.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
I guys - Magic Supreme-WOW what memories- I still have my Magic Supreme Membership Cert. and CArd - a GREAT Guy and Shop(?) also still have the effects- Jack & Jill - Farm yard frolic - Pumpkin & Witch- etc. had quite a few flyers,letters and magazines -just wanted to say Hello -from Florida 15 min. from Walt Disney World- Wife and I retired from in 1993- Ralph(russo)Rousseau HAPPY NEW YEAR
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
It can't be all that rare if they sell it at Walmart.

http://www.dickblick.com/categories/artboards/
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I make my jumbo cards with glossy photo paper (for a nice sharp image printed by inkjet printer) glued to chipboard, which is a very stiff kind of cardboard. It is available in 8.5" x 11" sizes, or larger sizes which are easily cut to any size needed with a razor knife and metal ruler. Example shown from The Wizards' Journal #32.
Black Chipboard available at Amazon.com. I use medium weight, but it does come in heavy weight as well.

martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Nick;
Thank You for the correct spelling, as I get older the cobwebs seem to form more
and more lately. lol

Edwin created more than a business back then, it was more like an empire within
itself. There were so many small family cottage builders making props for Edwin. I do
remember although I cannot remember the couples names, a couple we dined with one evening,
who made spring snakes for Edwin. The couple had a huge box of spring coils on the floor
next to their stairs. The husband would walk part way up the stairs and pull an end up
with him to a height marked on the wall next to the stairs. This was their way of marking
the length to cut the coils so that stretched created the perfect spring snake.

The wife made the covers and Edwin would stop round and pick up 50 to 60 at a time
after work and take them into Supreme the next day. There were a lot of small operations
like this that made props for Edwin. He treated all like family. I do miss those days.

All the Best
Marty
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Card stock weight? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL