The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Escape Artists Tie-Down in Vegas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
In the new January 2017 issue of The Chainletter, Cliff Gerstman suggests a get-together of Escape Artists like the old Cannon Conventions, to be held in Las Vegas. I think it would be a great idea to have a Massive Tie-down of all the attending Escape Artists as a publicity stunt to promote the convention at a public show. Imagine a hundred or more escape artists all cuffed, chained, or tied together in a jumble. The winners would not only escape, but vanish from the jumble of bodies and drive up in a car at the end and tumble out of it (like clowns at the circus). Well, that part might be a little difficult, but it would be spectacular and great for TV.

The Chainletter is available from The International Escapologist's Society (T.I.E.S.) Web site: http://www.tiesociety.webs.com/
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
That would make it an illusion.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2017, Harley Newman wrote:
That would make it an illusion.

Agree it would be an illusion and not an escape.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Yes it would be an illusion, but Jim may be onto something here. Imagine six or seven EA's sitting on chairs in a circle facing outward. This is done outside in a courtyard but somewhere unobtrusive. Now a group of 20 spectators tie us up using perhaps ten lengths of 50 foot rope. They are to tie us to the chairs and to each other. Perhaps they've paid a few dollars to be be there (money goes to charity) or maybe it is just a free stunt. The EA's will now escape.

That could be one hell of a stunt.

(BTW money to charity helps ensure that people from that charity and their friends attend.)
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Not to be nit-picky, but are you saying that when Houdini escaped from a jail cell, moved other prisoners around to different cells, and then left the building only to "reappear" in the crowd of reporters outside... that was "just an illusion" and not an escape?
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Technically yes. The first part of Houdini's escape was straight out escape skill. He handled the jail locks like they were nobody's business. Appearing outside was probably his idea of a joke, but yes the last part would have been more illusion than escape.
Magic is like Science,
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2017, Cliffg37 wrote:

(BTW money to charity helps ensure that people from that charity and their friends attend.)

Not necessarily - depends on the size of the chairty and its location etc. I am a trustee for a charity in the UK and I can tell you that we rarely have the resources of funds to send someone to collect a donation. One golf club wanted us to send the Director of the charity to collect a cheque for £500. The problem is it was going to cost close on to £400 to send the director all the way north via train and back in terms of train tickets, accommodation (it was not be presented at 9 pm) and the director's time out of the office. It was not at all cost effective.

But I am just using this as an excellent opportunity to mention Steps ( http://www.steps-charity.org.uk/ ) Smile

If course if they had been the golf club down the road it would have been another matter - but they were not.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
If anyone ties myself, Basso, Logsdon, Gunnarson and several others to a chair it will only be a matter of seconds before we’re all out. No charities will make any money because there are egos involved.

iIt would make a fun “doors closed” contest
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
No no Jay.... The winner here is the LAST one to get free; not the first.

It's gonna be a loooong night.
Magic is like Science,
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
If it's bets...they'd have to be on the shortest times. Structure it like a horse race, with win, place, and show. The marks could bet on any combination of EAs.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I agree

The only time you take forever is if you’re locked in a jail cell and sponsors donate money for every hour you’re in there…. but even so there has to be a time limit.

Charities do Runs these days. A lot of people sign up and they get their friends to donate per mile, or lap.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2017, jay leslie wrote:
I agree

The only time you take forever is if you’re locked in a jail cell and sponsors donate money for every hour you’re in there…. but even so there has to be a time limit.

Charities do Runs these days. A lot of people sign up and they get their friends to donate per mile, or lap.

By that token having a donation per link (or number of links) might be appealing.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
My original purpose in posting was to round up some interest in Cliff Gerstman's idea to have an Escape Artist Get-together in Las Vegas, so let's talk about how that can become a reality instead of discussing ways to raise money for charity. In this case, charity begins at home. If the event doesn't take place, all Escape Artists lose a great opportunity to publicize themselves and their art.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2017, jimgerrish wrote:
My original purpose in posting was to round up some interest in Cliff Gerstman's idea to have an Escape Artist Get-together in Las Vegas, so let's talk about how that can become a reality instead of discussing ways to raise money for charity. In this case, charity begins at home. If the event doesn't take place, all Escape Artists lose a great opportunity to publicize themselves and their art.

Sorry Jim but this won't be a great opportunity for all escape artists to publicise themselves and their art. Just became it won't be attended by all EAs. There won't be enough of a draw to pull people in from outside the US.... Well I can't see it being enough myself, when the Cannons ran it they had things to exhibit and sell and I think they struggled to pull in enough people.

Not saying that a get together is a bad thing...... I just don't see it being able to draw anyone from further afield and as such think press may not be too interested either.

We have our UKEA event coming up soon, a great opportunity for some self gratifying bonding and release ....also good food and company....well Ken will also be there as well. Love ya Kondini!!!
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Well, I guess that ends it. I give up.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Optimism Jim. I am not giving up so fast.

Dave, you are right of course about who may or may not come, but I believe the Cannon's ran the convention as part of a business. That is it was a money making venture. I am not in business like that, and I and not looking for profit. I am looking to get some like-minded people together... Some of whom I have met before, some I will meet new, and have a really good time.
Magic is like Science,
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Escape Artists Tie-Down in Vegas (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL