The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Working just for tips (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Almost every experienced pro magician whose advise I've read says that when you start out, it doesn't matter where you work, for who you work, or how much, if anything, you work for. Just get out there and do it.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2017, jakeg wrote:
Almost every experienced pro magician whose advise I've read says that when you start out, it doesn't matter where you work, for who you work, or how much, if anything, you work for. Just get out there and do it.

Yup! As a student, you probably don't need to make money to "survive", (here comes the "but": you do need to acquire performing experience!).

If you decide to get in the business, the more experience that you have, will definitely be helpful.

Mazel tov!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bin
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Bin
Thanks to everyone who responded. I'm planning on getting out there in exactly one week. Wish me luck.
Remember Quacky.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Break a leg!
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Good luck let us know how it goes
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
Go out there and don't focus on money or tips...focus on having fun, it'll be contagious. Have a good time!
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
So, how did it go?
Bin
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Bin
Badly. Had trouble approaching people. I didn't realize how much I rely on being asked to be there to give me a reason to approach people. I'm going to give it another try in a little bit.
Remember Quacky.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Well congrats on trying. It'll get easier
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
Bin, don't approach people, make them come to you.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Confidence is a major factor. Confidence that your magic WILL be worth seeing and WILL be entertaining. I've been doing this for
quite awhile now and have no problem approaching any group. BUT I did. It's only by getting out there and performing, learning
what entertains people , what touches people on a personal level and experiencing sucess as well as failure. Over time and actively evaluting your performanes as well as reactions will educate you and give you the confidence to approach people
successfully.

It's not about you, It's all about the people you will be entertaing. Your goal is to make them smile, to create a sense of wonder
for THEM. If you can grasp that, the fear you have should, again, over time dissapate. Have fun and be a "people person"
genuinely.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Bin
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Bin
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2017, cbguy wrote:
Bin, don't approach people, make them come to you.

Yeah, I'm starting to get that impression.

David, I knew that - or I thought I did. But that's how this works. The more you do, the more you realize you have a lot to learn.
Remember Quacky.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Right! (Remember Sophocles!)

You appear to have a good attitude! I think you will do OK!
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1955 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
I have a friend in Malaysia been doing table hopper for many years in couple of high end nite club in his city. He earned quite alot.
Nite club guess always give a lot than restaurant guess.
But it s hard to do. You will often facing drunk peoples and many hackers.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Working just for tips (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL