The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » DIY holdouts (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Hi all!
I've been wanting to sew a small magnetic holdout to attach to my belt but thought I'd ask around first.
Has any of you made something like this?

Things I'd like to ditch are coins, TT and Michael Ammars little hand.

All help is greatly appreciated!
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I am not sure what you are asking.

Do you only need to ditch, or do you need to retrieve too?

Are the coins, TT, little hand and whatever you want to ditch magnetic (or metallic) themselves?

If not, what do you mean by "magnetic holdout?"
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Hi Opus!
I need to be able to retrieve. I'll add a piece of metal to the objects so they will stick to a magnet.
Something like
http://www.handcraftedmiracles.com/produ......68392b50
but I think the magnet is too weak.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Why not get a neo magnet (about 2" x 3/4" x 3/8"), tape it onto a sturdy piece of foam core and stick the whole thing (magnet side out) in your pocket?

The metal objects will stick to the outside of your pocket where the magnet is inside your pocket. For easy ditching and retrieval.
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
Joe Mogar sells a hold out called a Pocket Pal.
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Go to a Staples or office supply and look for magnetic name tags. They have different types. There was a set of 3 small magnets attached to plastic and I attached it to velcro on a small piece of scrap leather. I just put it in my back pocket for easy ditching and retreival.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Thank you everyone!! Excellent tips!!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I have a couple that came with a coin set that are very simple and handy as well. Take a length of velcro and put 3 or 4 small but strong magnets along the soft side. Place the harder "hook" side face down on that hooking it on the ends and in between the magnets. You now have a velcro / magnet sandwich. The velcro should have a peel and stick surface on the outside, peel one side off and stick it to the inside of your shirt (own near your waist and just above the back pocket of your pants). You can just add some 2 sided tape as the sticky surface loses it's stick.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
Take a trip to a Lowe's, in the Tool Bag area. AWP makes a magnetic holdout that is about as perfect outside the Magic Community! Plus they are only $7.98 each!
http://www.awp-gear.com/item.aspx?id=7058
• Magnet strip that attaches anywhere: to standard belts, MOLLE webbing loops, rigs and shoulder straps, etc
• Plastic belt Hook and also Velcro loop straps for quick attachment
• The magnet strip is great for quick and easy access to metal items
• Made with heavy-duty rare earth magnets
The magnet area IS flexible, not stiff!
Outer Nylon covering is BLACK!
Velcro attaching loops work for any belt or on suspenders!
The plastic clip could be attached to a pocket (inside or outside)
Clip in a vest or inside breast pockets inside jacket too
NO talking attaching or removing items!

Check it out...may not be a permanent product. Get ''em NOW!
Steph
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
In the book "T.U.C. Appreciation" I discuss the use of magnets on various parts of the body.

The point is that "where" you put one can be as important as the how and what.

but, on the "how" side I use a clamping device made form two magnets glued in a length of black binding tape.

They stick together (if you get the parity right) like pair of fingers and can hold any small non-magnetic objects such as coin, billet or poker chip

The folded end can pin most anywhere. Instant release and no noise.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Wow! Where can I buy this? Preferably ebook? Shipping is a drag to Norway.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
The photo of the clip you showed looks like a magnetic money clip. Reading the posts, I think that some of the other solutions may be more flexible.
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Check out my Secret Servante too - it will attach to a belt as well as to a jacket. You can ditch and retrieve multiple coins, rings, folded cards etc.
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
William Dee
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of William Dee
I used, for years, The I/O holdout from Smoke and Mirrors and it was fantastic and cheap to make. It is made from an old bankers clip and was easy to customize with a magnet.
The use of the holdout as it was written in that book will catch everything that a magnet won't.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2017, Montana76 wrote:
Hi all!
I've been wanting to sew a small magnetic holdout to attach to my belt but thought I'd ask around first.
Has any of you made something like this?

Things I'd like to ditch are coins, TT and Michael Ammar's little hand.

All help is greatly appreciated!

I would suggest NOT putting it at belt level as you have to reach too high to get to it. Better is in rear pants pocket so you can reach it when your arm hangs naturally at your side. Later retrieve and switch to your pocket at you get something else out. Careful about brushing up against metal objects or your clothes will stick to them and it may be awkward.
dennye
View Profile
New user
Toledo Ohio
41 Posts

Profile of dennye
One thing that works extremely well and that is a better alternative is; make a coin or small object disappear with a retention vanish and then say it just reappeared in one of my pockets. Stick both of your hands in each of your pockets. Visually pull out the small object out of one pocket while you finger palm another small object from the other pocket. Now you are one ahead to do whatever you want. For example, you could now make that coin change into a different coin in the spectators hand. It completely throws them off guard because they believe there is only one coin in play.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Knock fhf magnet out of any old speaker and put it in your right rear pocket, see hoy it works for you.
Keep your wallet and credit cards away from it.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
dennye
View Profile
New user
Toledo Ohio
41 Posts

Profile of dennye
I have been using Evanesce and I just love it
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » DIY holdouts (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL