The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Magic and Literary Adaptation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rsouthard
View Profile
New user
Farmington, ME
13 Posts

Profile of rsouthard
Hello,

I'm currently doing a project that is part research and part performance. The topic is on literary adaptation in the art of magic. This would be when literary works (poetry, stories, plays, etc.) are recited, narrated, or otherwise adapted to a performance of magic. I'm trying to find as many examples as I can across magic history.

There are a few names that are obvious; Rene Lavand and Ricky Jay were the first ones that came to mind. I've found that Orson Welles also enjoyed reading/reciting works of Shakespeare before and after performances. I'm currently a bit stuck with trying to find more examples, and was wondering if anyone else knows of magicians who have performed in such a way.

Keep in mind that adaptation can be considered a form of interpretation and reflection upon another work. In other words, the use of another work doesn't have to be word-for-word readings or the like.

I hope I haven't made my post too confusing. If I should try and rephrase it, please don't be afraid to say so. Thank you for any responses!
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Are David Copperfield's vignettes where he adapts a popular song to a magic routine the kind of thing you're looking for?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83S2cAnjQys
----- Sonny Narvaez
Escamoteur
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Escamoteur
This video clip of Dr. Todd Landman might be along the lines of what you are looking for. Great presentation and effect.

https://vimeo.com/78953015

I hope that this is helpful.

Carter
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
There was a female Magician in th 30's 40's 50's that did all her patter in rhyme - her name was Dell O'Dell, if that will help - I think there is a vidio and/or book on her. Ralph
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Magic and Literary Adaptation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL