The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Has Amazon killed the Brick and Mortar Magic Shop? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
They seem to be killing more than the magic shops.

http://bigthink.com/david-ryan-polgar/bl......can-jobs
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I dunno... my brother works for Amazon and is probably the best job he has had so far, as benefits and stability are concerned.

Didn't they say the same thing about Wal*Mart 10 years ago?
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Hey, my brother's best job was working as clean-up man for the elephants in the circus, but it doesn't mean he was in show business.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I do spend a lot of time searching through Amazon for ideas for routines.

So far I have bought a set of black plastic nesting dolls (blanks) for a card mind reading effect, and a large copper penny, a copper shot glass, and an eye chart iron-on transfer.

Have fun trying to figure that one out. Smile
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Ironically I just started at Amazon this week. The reason they're so successful isn't the technology. Their first leadership principle is "Obsession with the customer." The lengths they go to to ensure a great customer experience is amazing. Any company that puts as much focus on the customer as they do will be successful.

Also Amazon encourages partners to sell through them, even if it competes with Amazon products. They do it to offer wider selection and options to the customer. So they are actually providing increased options to magic sellers.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Wow! Check this out!

I was curious how much I spent over the years on Amazon and was surprised to see that for the last 10 years I spent $9,017.93

That is a lot more than I expected.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I spend about that a year.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Danny and Brian: you've put your finger on Amazon's success. If you buy hundreds of little things, you'll barely notice that yoh've emtied your savings. It's the new economy: from phone charges to Costco impulse buys to online purchases. Vendors count on our not being aware of our indulgences.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh actuality quite the contrary for me. I know exactly what I am buying. I use Prime Now for groceries when I am on the way home from the airport in Uber. I buy equipment for shows we produce.

Not only do we have savings and rebates but the convenience and savings of time is in and if itself worth it.

Having things like toothpaste and shampoo on recurring delivery is helpful for our lifestyle.

The company is almost Taylor made for us.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Thanks for that info, Brian. I'm almost scared to click on my record. At some point, Amazon started doing more than books, and made it very easy to buy most of what I buy online. Always the first place I look for just about everything.

But they still treat their workers like crap. I definitely have a guilty conscience about it. Another example of where information isn't enough to change behavior.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
I spend about that a year.

Up to a few years ago the available items that could be shipped here was limited, but now I buy almost every non-perishable item from Amazon instead of off the economy.

They still won't send me Caffeine Free Diet Coke though...
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2017, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Danny and Brian: you've put your finger on Amazon's success. If you buy hundreds of little things, you'll barely notice that yoh've emtied your savings. It's the new economy: from phone charges to Costco impulse buys to online purchases. Vendors count on our not being aware of our indulgences.

The steady spending I do now is items for the family back in the States. Since I don't get 'home' that often a monthly box of goodies lets them know that I'm still thinking about them.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Amazon has a charitable program called Amazon Smiles. 0.5% of purchase goes to a charity of your choice. Check them out:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/......01365340

If you're invovled in a charity, you can get it registered for folds to donate...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2017, Salguod Nairb wrote:
I read that thread Danny, I too thought Penguin went above and beyond the call of duty to make him happy. Though, IMO he didn't appreciate it and was still being critical.

That is why I gave them a try.

I just ordered from Penguin. A DVD which I almost never do.

Process was smooth as could be. I have to admit that I didn't price shop unbuttountil after I ordered, but it is cheaper at Penguin than amazon.

I guys my conversion is complete.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I found a great deal on colored rope and colored bells awhile back on Amazon. I'm working on a bells (cups) on and off rope routine. Sort of a magnetic color thing.

I have just received today my shipment of my subscribe and save items (Amazon) and they were rather beaten up. Whoever packed the items put rather heavy items with several light ones, so the light ones got crushed. No padding in the box either. The last time this happened Amazon sent free replacement items with rushed priority shipping.

I sent them an email and expect a response by tomorrow. So far Amazon has fixed every issue I had (as far as shipping items that is; I mean I still do that thing when out in public but can't expect Amazon to fix that, but I digress).
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Amazon update:

They are sending free replacement items for those damaged and refunded me an item that they can't send to my APO, all in under 6 hours too.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Has Amazon killed the Brick and Mortar Magic Shop? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL