The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » New Lassen Cylinder and Coins Set is the BOMB! (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
elainevblaine
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of elainevblaine
A LOT, or most, of coin magicians have many hours invested in this study. And as you study this, you know it's all about the little details, past and present ones. The past ones to get you thinking like a magician, and the present ones to see if one can better the masters.

By chance, Lassen is all about the details as well, and it appears he has come up with something that may be deemed a significant improvement. In that, it will make the entire routine more natural in appearance, greatly adds to ease of performance, and increases the visual deceptiveness of the entire routine.

As this gets out to the workers, I think you may see a whole new level of re-inspiration, creativity, and performance of the Ramsay classic. It deserves it, JMHO, the routine is entirely baffling in it's simplest form. And I believe that is the direction we are headed with these new props and old routine.

Will be waiting with bated breath to see how this develops.
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Peckham
I'm on the short list to get the walking liberty set. Can't wait.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Hey, if it helps make the tough parts easier and the sneaky parts better - count me in Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Peckham
My set just shipped, can't wait to get it....
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Hope it's under 10 bucks
elainevblaine
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of elainevblaine
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2017, fonda57 wrote:
Hope it's under 10 bucks

A toilet paper roll is under 2 bucks. And you can use it with those gold foil covered chocolate coins.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Where is this available
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Peckham
Not quite $10, multiply it by 45.....
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Peckham
Send Todd an email, but more than likely the first production run is all sold....
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
As a professional magician recently mentioned here: "The more you know, the less you need on stage." A cylinder, wand, Ramsay stack, and 4 silver dollars works well enough for me.
elainevblaine
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of elainevblaine
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2017, Leo H wrote:
As a professional magician recently mentioned here: "The more you know, the less you need on stage." A cylinder, wand, Ramsay stack, and 4 silver dollars works well enough for me.

With all due respect Leo, what is your point?

I think you are saying there is no need to check out anything new, if you have an old way that works for you.

Yes, wisdom is the ultimate prize, but since when did the wise start NOT welcoming new innovations, new ideas, beautifully made props? This is edging on fuddy-duddiness and a sour grapes theme.

A cyllinder, corks, and Ramsey stack are the offerings, it does not include your other simple props of wand and extra silver dollars. So that is not really like offering MORE un-necessities for your stage act, that you don't need with all your wisdom, it is simply an improvement on one of the props in the routine. It adds no bulk whatsoever. It adds finesse to the routine and takes away nothing, so I guess my question would be, why turn this into a negative, or a why bother? And speaking of the plain old 4 silver dollars. Many great magicians have altered this aspect of the props as well. Geoff Latta used a 3 coin nest. Some use the Triple Threat. Conover used a 3 coin nest. Can't recall, Roth may have used a shell. The name whose name will not be mentioned, used 2 mag coins and a shell, and I think quite a few actually went to vanishing just 3 coins and using a 3 coin stack, for no other reason than to make the routine easier. And speaking of the plain old 4 silver dollars. Many great magicians have altered this aspect of the props as well. Geoff Latta used a 3 coin nest. Some use the Triple Threat. Conover used a 3 coin nest. Can't recall, Roth may have used a shell. The name whose name will not be mentioned, used 2 mag coins and a shell, and I think quite a few actually went to vanishing just 3 coins and using a 3 coin stack, for no other reason than to make the routine easier.

Most that have studied this routine will admit it was originally for the wisdom, to experience Ramsey's approach to the vanish of the 4 coins, with all the feints and tricks he used to confuse magicians. It is a lesson indeed. Surely the use of gaffus, to make the vanishing of the 4 coins coins much easier, would do more to rob the individual/student of the wisdom required to do the original routine. I mean, in comparison to a cylinder and stack, that simply makes the shows more believable and natural, without much altering of your established handling for the routine. And speaking of the plain old 4 silver dollars. Many great magicians have altered this aspect of the props as well. Geoff Latta used a 3 coin nest. Some use the Triple Threat. Conover used a 3 coin nest. Can't recall, Roth may have used a shell. The name whose name will not be mentioned, used 2 mag coins and a shell, and I think quite a few actually went to vanishing just 3 coins and using a 3 coin stack, for no other reason than to make the routine easier.

Most that have studied this routine will admit it was originally for the wisdom, to experience Ramsey's approach to the vanish of the 4 coins, with all the feints and tricks he used to confuse magicians. It is a lesson indeed. Surely the use of gaffus, to make the vanishing of the 4 coins coins much easier, would do more to rob the individual/student of the wisdom required to do the original routine. I mean, in comparison to a cylinder and stack, that simply makes the shows more believable and natural, without much altering of your established handling for the routine.

And with new props to inspire, maybe some of the coin greats will man up and start vanishing 4 real coins again. This is where Leo's "the more you know" comes in, not balking at an improved cylinder and stack.
webtech
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of webtech
I found this video on youtube using the Ramsey Stack. Is this the basic or common routine often done with this gaffus?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0BNO_2xjGs
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2017, elainevblaine wrote: Most that have studied this routine will admit it was originally for the wisdom, to experience Ramsey's approach to the vanish of the 4 coins, with all the feints and tricks he used to confuse magicians. It is a lesson indeed. Surely the use of gaffus, to make the vanishing of the 4 coins coins much easier, would do more to rob the individual/student of the wisdom required to do the original routine. I mean, in comparison to a cylinder and stack, that simply makes the shows more believable and natural, without much altering of your established handling for the routine.

You articulated exactly what I meant to say. Not a negative as you implied, but bemusement at the advancing coin gaff technology. I still don't know what Lassen's improvements are. The cylinder seems to be made out of delrin material for a better grip?
webtech
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of webtech
Leo H I think he made the coin gaff with the ability to spread almost openly instead of just a static stack of coins with a hole at the bottom to hide the cork.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Ah--thanks webtech! It seems to be an advancement that maintains the spirit of Ramsay. I understand he eschewed gaffed coins, or at least to some degree. A performance of the Cylinder and Coins that is true to Ramsay's version is more like a history lesson.[

I like Carney's strategy of pretending to even out the static static.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea He worked This Out A year or so Ago!!! And Is Just Now getting Around To putting Them out! Smile I got one When He was just playing With Them! And Gave him My thoughts On It. That he Has Put Into it. I have Worked 2-3 Handleings For it!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
webtech
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of webtech
This looks all too obvious as to what is going on in the video. Very expensive gaffs for such a mediocre trick. Am I being too cynical on this?
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2017, webtech wrote:
This looks all too obvious as to what is going on in the video. Very expensive gaffs for such a mediocre trick. Am I being too cynical on this?

I'n not sure the guy in the video above is using Todd's new gear for the cylinder and coins.
Smile

Here is a slightly better example of why the cylinder and coins can be a superb piece of magic, in the right hands. Over to John Carney:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2kdJE6b3eA
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Mediocre Trick??? Ramsey KILLED With it!!! That where He Got His Name!!! I have A Friend Who Does It all the Time At Tables And it Kills Layman! Have you ever Done it For People ???
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
webtech
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of webtech
Ok. Calm down Mr. Neighbors. The other YouTube video was much better. Definitely a routine you need to put lots of time into.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » New Lassen Cylinder and Coins Set is the BOMB! (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL