The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Cutting corners – the long and short of it????? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
New to ‘making’ cards/decks

So not sure what terms to use, or search

Two quick questions

For an effect I need to ‘trim’ 4 cards and round the corners

I have a 9” trimmer Fiskars – but – roughly how much should I trim off [?] – and should it be a little off both sides, or just off one and keep the other ‘as bought/new’ [?]

Also I have 5mm and 10mm corner punch’s – is there a better one of those sizes to use with standard poker sized cards

Sorry for the newbie questions

Thanks for any help/abuse
LesL
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of LesL
I have always cut from both ends. When starting out handling these decks, about 1 mm total is okay. As you get more proficient with handling try .75mm total. I have used the Fiskars and you are right at the limit with what it can reliably cut doing .75 mm. They also loosen up and get dull after doing a few decks and make sure you start with plenty of cards as you will screw up a few in the beginning. 3mm or 1/8 inch rounder for corners. Some use nail clippers.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Yikes

Will practice with a few jokers

As I have four specific cards I need to shorten - though I do have 7 or 8 bricks of bikes [so can make a mistake or ninety]

The total is, total from each side... so 2mm [or 1.5mm] taken off the card with 1mm [.75mm] from each side

I don't have a 3mm rounder - I bought 5mm and 10mm as those were the only [smallest] sizes I could find [Xcut].. will have a look for a 3mm one now

Thanks for the response it really has been most helpful... as I feel like I am venturing into the unknown with all of this arts and craft

Thanks again
hbenod
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of hbenod
The best tip I can give you is to get a corner rounder from Japan by "Kadomaru" it cuts exactly to a 3, 5 and 8 mm radius. The "small" choice — 3 mm— is exactly how USPCC cards are rounded. With the Fiskars cutter and this corner rounder you can make perfect gimmicks that cannot be distinguished from the standard.

Enjoy,

hbenod
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Im in the uk

I googled that and got what seems to be the same thing but different name

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Stationery......076FJ7SS

It comes from japan and is only £7-ish
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2017, hbenod wrote:
....The "small" choice — 3 mm— is exactly how USPCC cards are rounded....
hbenod

Just to be precise: USPCC uses 1/8 inch radius which is 3.175 mm.
And that is NOT exactly 3 mm like that mentioned el cheapo thing.

.....smart aleck mode: OFF.
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2017, CardMaker wrote:
Quote:
....The "small" choice — 3 mm— is exactly how USPCC cards are rounded....
hbenod

Just to be precise: USPCC uses 1/8 inch radius which is 3.175 mm.
And that is NOT exactly 3 mm like that mentioned el cheapo thing.

.....smart aleck mode: OFF.

So out of interest is there a better model available in the U.K. I should get

Or will it cost too much

Or will 3mm be as good as perfect?

Thanks again for all help from everyone
hbenod
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of hbenod
Yes, it is the cheap corner rounder. The 3mm corners are 0.175 mm radius less than USPCC and this INDISCERNIBLE by the human eye. Get one you'd love it along with the small 9" Fishers cutter.

hbenod
hbenod
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of hbenod
Yes, it is the cheap corner rounder. The 3mm corners are 0.175 mm radius less than USPCC and this is INDISCERNIBLE by the human eye. Get one, you'd love it along with the small 9" Fiskars cutter.

hbenod

Sorry for the repeated post the spell checker got in the way.
LesL
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of LesL
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2017, The Duster wrote:

The total is, total from each side... so 2mm [or 1.5mm] taken off the card with 1mm [.75mm] from each side

No, total is from both sides - 0.5 mm from each side. Fiskars cutter needs to be very sharp and have no mechanical play otherwise you wind up with a curved cut. I have used it to create several decks before it lost some sharpness and got a little loose. I think I was using a smaller size than you mentioned so yours might hold out longer. It's fun and a learning experience to create your own gaff cards.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
Yes, it is the cheap corner rounder. The 3mm corners are 0.175 mm radius less than USPCC and this INDISCERNIBLE by the human eye. Get one you'd love it along with the small 9" Fishers cutter.

hbenod

Have to agree with this, sometimes cheap is good if it works well, and this little Kadomaru cutting thing does. And I think the word “indiscernible” is right on here as to the 3mm cut. No one would notice anything as to it, and if they do, then just don’t do magic for “special” folks like that. 😁

As a matter of fact, I like the 5mm medium cut even better and it still looks more than good enough for everyday card work. It has been a good purchase for such consistency, overall effectiveness, and great price (about $10 bucks then on Amazon).

You can’t beat it then or now, unless you just can’t stand not spending more than you have to for something that works perfectly and costs much less than anything else like it, or something like that.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2022, Mb217 wrote:
Have to agree with this, sometimes cheap is good if it works well, and this little Kadomaru cutting thing does. And I think the word “indiscernible” is right on here as to the 3mm cut. No one would notice anything as to it, and if they do, then just don’t do magic for “special” folks like that. 😁

As a matter of fact, I like the 5mm medium cut even better and it still looks more than good enough for everyday card work. It has been a good purchase for such consistency, overall effectiveness, and great price (about $10 bucks then on Amazon).

You can’t beat it then or now, unless you just can’t stand not spending more than you have to for something that works perfectly and costs much less than anything else like it, or something like that.

The 5mm is great for corner shorting. It is what I use all the time when making corner shorts. This is what makes the Kadomaru cutter perfect for card gaffing. 5mm for corner shorts and 3mm for short cards with a "factory corner" (which I assume is what the OP is looking to do). As far as cutting from both sides, I personally have never made a sven deck or short cards that way (not that it won't work, just unnecessary IMO). With Bikes, you are almost always going to have an offset border anyway. I just cut a small amount - roughly 1/64"(.39mm) to 1mm off the wider bordered end and trim the corners with the 3mm punch setting.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
gillesA4
View Profile
Special user
Brussels, Belgium
593 Posts

Profile of gillesA4
With Bicycles I personally use a 4mm rounder, takes a bit of practice but it's really hard to spot even for a trained eye...
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. (A. Einstein)
TH10111
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of TH10111
For a visual comparison of some of the different radii there's a photo at the top of this page that might be useful.
Paul Gunk
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Paul Gunk
For cheap but excellent 4mm cutters, check on Amazon for something like this 'YeBetter R4 Corner Punch'; there's a lot of the same; these are excellent, and I've been using them for years
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
There is a device that cuts cards pretty much perfect.. called the Wonder Cutter.. Link below..

https://www.magicianslair.com/product/wo......f-magic/
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
Kurtis Chin
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of Kurtis Chin
Quote:
On May 31, 2022, Koolmagic114 wrote:
There is a device that cuts cards pretty much perfect.. called the Wonder Cutter.. Link below..

https://www.magicianslair.com/product/wo......f-magic/

I have one. Not a "corner cutter" per se. It's great for straight cuts, longitudinally and horizontally. It's also good as a template for gluing layers together. I think Eoin O'Hare is close to releasing a corner cutter.
Leo-Kim
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of Leo-Kim
If you are worried about the miniscule difference between the 3mm rounder and the bicycle original - just cut the four corners on all the cards...

Mikael Johansson
Sweden
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well (Donald Duck)
TH10111
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of TH10111
As mentioned by Kurtis Chin, Eoin's latest masterpiece might be of interest: https://theperfectshuffle.com/Expert_Corner_Short/
Paul Gunk
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Paul Gunk
Just cut a deck with Eoin's Expert Corner Cutter; you have to be practised with corner cut cards; if you are, his corner cutter is impressive.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Cutting corners – the long and short of it????? (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL