The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What Kind of Cups and Balls from India? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ThSecret
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of ThSecret
I know someone who will be going to India and asked them to get me a cups and balls set. I was wondering if anyone can help me find pictures to give them of something unique? (Ie: NOT something I can buy in Canada/United States) I found some in google images but they seem fairly generic. I imagine it will be considerably cheaper there because of the currency exchange rate, so I would like to get something nice.

Since I have not bought Cups and Balls before, at least not a proper set (I had some plastic ones in my childhood). Maybe you guys can suggest what to look for? Or is it completely personal preference?
"A play does not take place on stage but in the minds of the spectators."
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
513 Posts

Profile of ekins
Are you wanting a standard cups and balls set with 3 stacking metal cups? They might be able to find a set but they'll probably have to find a magic shop. Even a set of Hindu cups will be difficult to find. What's fun to look for are cups and bowls that aren't made specifically for magic but can be repurposed.
ThSecret
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of ThSecret
I'm not sure if they will know exactly, what kind of cups would be good for "Repurposing". I figured it would be easier for him to go to a magic shop and ask for cups and balls directly, rather than guessing what may or may not be adequate.

I was looking on google and found some things such as;
https://www.daytonamagic.com/cups-and-ba......ted.html
^I really like the red/blue accents in this one.

http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.com/hmnsdisplay.htm
Brett Sherwood Engraved silver cups with gold trim.
^The detail work on this set is really really nice.

The classic Hindu cups and balls, the ones that sort of look like a wine glass with a ball on top, are pretty cool as well. But it would have to be something with interesting engraving or wood work. I am leaning more toward the classic style of stackable ones.
"A play does not take place on stage but in the minds of the spectators."
HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of HenryleTregetour
I don't know if this will help, but if you watch Indian boy magicians doing the cups and balls on video they seem to be using bowls.
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1108 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
You may want to check the work of Gary Kosnitzky.
Not sure if his website is currently online though...
www.jadoosmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What Kind of Cups and Balls from India? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL