The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Excalibur - Seamus Maguire (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Raymond Singson
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of Raymond Singson
As a seasoned magician, it's so refreshing to feel absolutely gobsmacked again.

Imagine an engaging truth-teller/liar routine mixed with a direct name guess that's 100% propless and can work consistently over the phone or social media messengers. This is what I experienced TWICE now with Seamus Maguire and one of his upcoming effects, Excalibur. For those who are fans of Atlas Brookings' and Fraser Parker's work, I think you'll be in for a significant treat when this gem is finally released. I still have no idea how this is accomplished, and the more I try to deconstruct it, the more my head spins. It appears as though Seamus has created a practical, reliable, and repeatable method to accurately guess a freely thought-of name by someone who could either be lying or telling the truth through a very simple, straightforward process...

THE EXPERIENCE

Seamus posted an open call to a Facebook group, asking to test his idea out over an instant messenger. I reached out to him out of curiosity for what he had to share. Once we were both online, he asked me to think of a common American male name. It was a genuinely free choice. He also asked me to adopt the role of a truth-teller or liar before he proceeded with the effect. After reciting a few random letters of the alphabet, he intermittently asked if any of the letters were in the name I was thinking about. I answered in accordance with my role. In a matter of seconds, Seamus accurately determined that I was telling the truth and revealed that I was thinking of the name "Aaron" -- my best friend since I was four years old. This was so incredibly disarming, and the more I thought of the effect afterwards-- the more fooled I was by it. I felt so burned by it, I reached out to him a few hours later asking for a repeat performance. He kindly-- almost smugly-- obliged.

This time around, I decided to secretly adopt the role of liar. The instructions were just as straightforward as before. I chose a simple American male name without any restrictions. He recited a few letters of the alphabet and intermittently asked if any of the letters were in the name I had in mind. I lied each time of course-- and kind of took pleasure in doing so. He seemed so far off base, I couldn't see how he could bring this to an accurate conclusion. But sure enough... seconds later, this M%$&@# F^&#$% accurately determined that I was lying and revealed that I was thinking of "Simon" -- a fellow gym friend of mine.

I couldn't believe Seamus had two direct hits. The two procedures were consistent with one another, but different, in that he recited different letters each time. It genuinely felt like he was just randomly spouting letters to get a "read" off me. As a participant/spectator, I felt the effect played incredibly strong over an online instant messenger-- I can only imagine how much more amazing it must be in person. I am anxiously awaiting for this to be released so I can adopt it into my own repertoire. It is one of the most engaging and direct name-divinations I've ever seen. In terms of mindreading, it feels like the real thing...

RS.
“The purpose of art is to lay bare the questions which have been hidden by the answers.” -- James Arthur Baldwin

raymond.singson@gmail.com
Johnsypoppins
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Johnsypoppins
Agree with you there mate, was just Excalibured myself and it's really really very good... no scrap that... it's !@#$*** brilliant.

Was correct with both whether I was lying or telling the truth and the name. I love it, and if it plays that well over messenger then out in the real world it's gonna be amazing.

It looks like I may be shoving a bit too much praise towards this, but I genuinely enjoyed it and think that what Seamus has created is fantastic. I'm aware of and know many of the name divinations out there, and after having experienced this, this is right at the top for me personally.

Cheers for that Seamus, was fun and you've got a great thing there.
Jason Messina
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of Jason Messina
Any word on when and where this will be available? I liked Calibration very much.
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1880 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
This was done on me by Sea yesterday and holy crap...

Imagine being able to reveal any name, any time and anywhere including over messenger.

I keep looking at the messages and I STILL can't figure it out!

Super clever, I think we may have ourselves a new champion of the billetless name reveal!

XX,
-Jacob
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
I had this performed on me this morning and I am sincerely blown away.

I have no idea how he had enough information to know if I was lying/telling the truth or to reveal the name.

I imagine this goes over VERY well in person. I honestly think this would be a very useful item for revealing a thought of name over telephone while trying to book a venue. Tell them you can try something over the phone. Do this and reveal their name and then ask for a meeting in person with the person you had a chat with. I'm sure they will be very excited to meet you and learn more after having this done on them.

Great work Seamus. I'm clueless as to the workings. You're a very clever dude.
Tempesta
View Profile
Elite user
USA
404 Posts

Profile of Tempesta
Seamus performed this for me today over text. TEXT.

And he was spot on. I never gave him any ambiguous information other than yes or no. That's impressive to me.

He literally told me to think of a name and then decide whether I was going to tell the truth or lie as he asked me questions, and I was to decide all of this mentally without giving any inclination as to my decisions.

He spat out 7-8 letters randomly and asked if any of them were in the name. He asked me the same thing with different random letters two more times.

That's it. Then he told me I was a lying piece of garbage and I was thinking of my friend Mark.

Ok that's me paraphrasing a little bit but yeah, he knew. No phishing or ambiguity. Straightforward. That's pretty cool.

||sean ||
//Sean Beard
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of catweazle
OK, this sounds awesome, the sort of thing I have been looking for, for ages, how do you get 'in' on this, no clues here so far Smile
Jeff Wassom
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jeff Wassom
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2017, Tempesta wrote:
Then he told me I was a lying piece of garbage and I was thinking of my friend Mark.

Funniest thing I've read today. lol
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Just another note on this:

One thing I really love about it is that the process is part of the fun rather than the crappy stuff that has to happen before the reveal.

Seamus also informed me that in person he usually presents it as a bit of a muscle reading demonstration which I think is brilliant because it will take the heat off of the actual important part of the trick and make that seem almost irrelevant.

I do think with methods like this, it's hard for it to come across as plain old mind reading because of all the process. But I think if you are apparently demonstrating a skill, it makes perfect sense.

Madison
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of catweazle
Cheers......

oh well if anyone else wants to know more, here is the link

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......635700#9
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1315 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
Sea did this for me as well over FB message, and it clearly works. I think he has definitely got something here, and I would love to see him do it live. I have always found him to be creative and helpful, so best of luck with this, Sea!
www.reddevilmentalism.com
F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
Machina
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Machina
I know the origins of this and then he got me with Excalibur. No clue. Absolutely no idea as to how he pulled it off. That was a little while ago. Brilliant, just brilliant.

Woke up this morning, message from Sea. Think of any object...

Nope, impossible right? Wrong! He nailed it.
This "has nothing to do with the Magician who doesn't like Rock n Roll!" Corinda

www.mechanicsofthemind.com
MJG
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of MJG
To echo the previous comments on here, Seamus performed this on me last week over Facebook messenger and I thought it was brilliant. The liar/truth idea really masks the method well too.
I'm not usually a fan of these propless name divinations as they're often long winded and unlogical but this looks like a real winner.

I look forward to picking it up when it is released.
casco1
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of casco1
I am really interest in this. Is it available for purchase?
TheDirectionalist
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I will have this many posts when you read this:
931 Posts

Profile of TheDirectionalist
Whoa this sounds amazing..
Creator of the UBT: Underground Bottom Tear

MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Now that this thread is revived, I will say I picked this up. It is quite a bit of memorization. Prepare to buckle down and memorize. I need to go back and try again because it was definitely amazing. I think it’s better suited to perform over text so you can use a crib sheet.

I will not be able to give a full review within the next two weeks. Like is way too busy currently, but I will try to give it a more in depth review towards the end of March.

Madison
BlakeAdams
View Profile
Special user
Texas
641 Posts

Profile of BlakeAdams
Any more reviews. Sounds interesting
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Excalibur - Seamus Maguire (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL