The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » People who are into PURE skill based card tricks, what do you think of marked cards ? (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Hear Hear
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
I've never come up with anything I'd like to do that would require a marked deck. I suppose if it enabled me to do something that (a) I couldn't accomplish in any other way, and (b) was something exceptionally special in terms of how the audience would perceive it, I might consider it. But simply knowing someone's card is trivially easy. There are so many great methods, even ones that can be done with the performer's back turned. In light of that, I just can't think of any reason to use them.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2017, Ben Blau wrote:
In light of that, I just can't think of any reason to use them.

That's a shame.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2017, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Quote:

That's a shame.

Why do you say that?
cfirwin3
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, New York
233 Posts

Profile of cfirwin3
Quote:
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2017, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Quote:

That's a shame.

Why do you say that?

Yeah, I don't think it's a shame that any one person has no use for it (I don't either)... Personally, I usually have no use for most card controls either.
The problem with this discussion is that people view (probably correctly) that blowing off the use of certain techniques for oneself can be a judgement on the same use for someone else. But I don't think you were saying that.

Interestingly... Marked cards take on many forms. I can think of a half dozen effects that receive high praise that depend on a form of marked cards. There is probably a double standard in the philosophical conversation concerning the ethics and value of marked cards when you consider these effects. I can think of 2 very highly regarded ACAAN effects that use robust markings. The nature of most back to back rough-smooth decks are also a form of systematic 'indicators'... etc.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
It's not any sort of judgment call on Ben. It's just a shame in the same way a friend not having any interest in seeing a movie you know to be excellent is a shame.

Method affects effect. And there are specific instances where a marked deck yields a tangibly superior effect. One specific instance is a Tamariz masterpiece, buried in print and never discussed. On the one hand, great! On the other, it's a shame.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2017, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
And there are specific instances where a marked deck yields a tangibly superior effect. One specific instance is a Tamariz masterpiece, buried in print and never discussed. On the one hand, great! On the other, it's a shame.

Like I said, if ever I were to find one that I wanted to perform, I'd consider it. I don't know the Tamariz routine in question. If it's better with marked cards, great. I have no idea if it's an effect I'd want to perform. I'd need to know that first before deciding if I agree about the marked cards, and if I'd want to use them.

Ben
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2017, Ben Blau wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2017, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
And there are specific instances where a marked deck yields a tangibly superior effect. One specific instance is a Tamariz masterpiece, buried in print and never discussed. On the one hand, great! On the other, it's a shame.

Like I said, if ever I were to find one that I wanted to perform, I'd consider it. I don't know the Tamariz routine in question. If it's better with marked cards, great. I have no idea if it's an effect I'd want to perform. I'd need to know that first before deciding if I agree about the marked cards, and if I'd want to use them.

Ben

Whatever floats your boat, girlfriend!
cfirwin3
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, New York
233 Posts

Profile of cfirwin3
Anyone in here like to use a stack?...

It's the same essential question and relates perfectly to the ramifications of borrowed decks.

It's not a real question... Just a demonstration of the nuanced bias that may be present in the original question. Suggesting that stacks are okay, but marks aren't so much. Likewise, people who have no use for stacks are no less off than people who have no use for marks.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Considerations for choosing a method:

1. Is the method deceptive?

2. Within the constraints of both economic consideration and the performing conditions, is the method the best method to achieve the desired effect?

3. Is it ethical to use the method?

For some routines, using marked cards fails due to questions 1 and/or 2. For other routines, marked cards are fine.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
greig ewen
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Profile of greig ewen
Always loved pure skill based card tricks, then DMC Rouge Elites came along...wow. A marked deck is another tool to utilise in the right situation. Smile
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I've never had the desire to use a marked deck. I do think they can be very useful when used correctly. Someone said earlier that they are a crutch. Would you say that to Jon Armstrong? Jon is someone who uses a marked deck in conjunction with impeccable sleight of hand and even a memorized deck to create real miracles.
pattrick
View Profile
Loyal user
maumee, ohio
226 Posts

Profile of pattrick
As a worker a marked deck can come in handy. All my decks are marked, however I don't depend or rely on it. I have used many fun and impromptu effects with this. I see nothing wrong. For the purest , would this include , crimps, gaff cards, corner short, thick cards, etc. ? It's all about the final outcome... in my opinion, whatever that's worth.
check out www.pattricksmagic.com for the best in close up pads and tables.
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
Since it is very difficult to get Bicycle Rider backed marked cards today. I suggest that we start using unmarked Maiden or Mandolin back design cards.
I personally like Maiden better because they look more like Rider back than the Mandolin cards do. But, that is just my opinion.

In either case, if you have the skill, I suggest that you always use unmarked cards (just in case) and then switch decks for the marked cards when needed.

I also find that it you are a teenager, you will find more wise guys who grab your cards and may look for marked cards. Adults are not that rude. So, I also suggest that you know your audience before you use a marked deck.

Finally another school of thought is to always start with a marked deck and then switch for a normal deck before you finish, so you are left clean, just in case someone wants to look.

This is my 2 cents for what it is worth.

I personally would NEVER buy a marked deck unless unmarked (legit) cards are sold as a sister product.
Long Island,

New York
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Or - learn to do just-as-strong, or stronger, effects/routines WITH ANY, OR BORROWED, DECKS.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Psychic-ologist
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Psychic-ologist
I'm posting this before reading. I think certainly this is good for people who do not want to try other things becaus the chief aim for a gambler or conjured is to be able to tell any card in the deck and with m$&*^d cards it becomes a reality. Also, with a s@&$&@d deck you can do the same thing. If your feeling good about the first two options try making a s&$@$r! I have a silver pocket watch that I dangle loosely draping it over my leg while seated and I can peek at each card by holding it over the edge of the table, and I got most of this from Henry hays book along with some ingenuity. The pocket watch is probably one of my better insights I learned from my study of mentalism.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » People who are into PURE skill based card tricks, what do you think of marked cards ? (21 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL