The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Trost Subtle Card Creations Vol. 6 (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

M Petersen
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of M Petersen
Hey guys! Just a quick post to let you know Trost Vol. 6 is about to be released. Steve Bryant received a preview copy and you can find his review of this volume, along with the other 5 volumes at the link below.

http://littleegyptmagic.com/magic.html

You can also find out more on the H&R website: www.magicbookshop.com

Marshall
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Title: Subtle Card Creations
Creator: Nick Trost (pronounced like Toast)
Illustrations by Tony Dunn
Publisher: H & R Magic Books (Richard Hatch and Charlie Randall)
MSRP: $ 50
Skill Level: All
237 pages / Hardbound with dust jacket

Type of effect: Book on “easy to do” & “subtle” card effects

Manufacturer's Write Up: This is the sixth volume in this series of easy-to-do, subtle card effects from master card trick creator, Nick Trost. As with the rest of the books in this series, Mr. Trost's card magic is based on subtle moves and principles, rather than difficult sleight of hand - leading to audience astonishment. The majority of the material has not been previously published. There are over 100 tricks in 13 chapters, including Unique Card Effects, Coincidences, Court Card Capers, Blackjack Bafflers, Poker Puzzlers, Gambling Tricks, Divinations, Predictions and ESP Card Tests. Two chapters with new and different effects are also included: "Gilbreath Plays Poker, Part 3" and "Triple Dealing Effects."

You'll enjoy performing his style of magic, concentrating on presentation to WOW your audience!

Table of Contents / what does this book cover?

Unique Card Effects – a variety of effects from blackjack tricks to packet tricks and there is even an ambitious card routine.

Amazing Coincidences – a chapter where cards appear at the same time

Court Card Capers – tricks where the court cards play the primary role

Blackjack Bafflers – a handful of stunning blackjack effects

Poker Puzzlers – Texas holdem to 10 card poker

The Four Aces – tricks involving the aces – all 4 or just one

Diabolical Divinations – cards that seem to obey psychic forces (I love the ‘another red and black routine’)

Gambling Tricks – gambling and the elements of chance, you’ll find cribbage, gin and rummy effects here also.

Revelments – selected cards are revealed in unexpected ways.

Gilbreath Plays Poker Part 3 – more tricks that involve the gilbreath principle (continued from chapters in volume 4 and volume 5) – this is one of the longest chapters in the book.

Pasteboard Predictions – tricks based on before written predictions

Triple Dealing Effects – tricks based on Colm Mulcahy’s triple dealing principle described in Low Down Triple Dealing 2004

ESP Card Tests – tricks using the ESP cards (my favorite is ESP Spelldown)

“I sincerely hope that you find many items in this volume worth adding to your repertoire.” Nick Trost 2010

Illustrations: The illustrations are line drawings of cards alone, or hands with cards. They are all drawn in the classic style. Mr. Dunn’s work creates a vintage feeling of the “classic” magic books of yesteryear.

Writing Style: Tricks are written out in a traditional style where he gives you the “effect” as it would be seen by a spectator and then writes out the “method.” Not every trick has pictures, but a good many of them do.

The author does not necessarily “hold you hand” through each effect, he expects you to approach this book with a basic understanding of card method…

A sample sentence might read…

“Begin with this shuffle: undercut a little less than half the deck, injog the first card and shuffle off. Undercut below the injogged card, run five cards, injog the fifth and throw.”

Mr Trost credits all of his inspiration with author, title and date.

Sadly Mr. Trost has since passed away and these tricks come from his manuscripts and notebooks. So you won’t have his “voice” come through the page, or much of his advice or thoughts. The pages at the beginnings of each chapter have some “lead in” and if this is Mr. Trost’s voice there is a little “before we begin” type of coaching, but with this book (I don’t know about the others) I felt a lot of it was purely technical although in a few scattered tricks he does cover patter which is in italics.

My thoughts: Can you say over a hundred tricks? Now, are these magician foolers? No, but why would you want those? How often do you perform for magicians? Know your audience. No, these are the tricks that drop actual jaws from actual people. Killer effects using basic sleights (if any sleights at all).

Is it powerful card magic? Yes, because the effects are simple enough that you can focus on your story and presentation.

Overall score: let's toss out the traditional score of 1-10 and make this something that we all can appreciate and understand.

__X__ Very Satisfied
_____ Somewhat Satisfied
_____ Neither Satisfied or Dissatisfied
_____ Somewhat Dissatisfied
_____ Very Dissatisfied
_____ No Opinion

My thoughts This is my first introduction to Mr. Trost’s work and writing and it only makes me wish I had the first 5 volumes. I’ve noticed that volume 1 is hard to find, so I shall begin my quest!

+ Hey do you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas? Visit this link for my video review:

* I obtained my copy for free from Murphy’s Magic for an unbiased and fair review.
philipsw
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of philipsw
Thanks David - great review. Like you, I rate this volume highly - some great effects without requiring too much effort. Having read a few superbly entertaining magic books recently, I found the writing style a bit dry - which makes sense if it is basically only thinly edited notebooks - but as much as I love reading magic books for their style as well as their content, it is the content which counts. A few too many of the effects covered gambling themes or were based on card games not really played much in the UK - but with over 100 effects, that didn't really detract. A great series (I own vols 1, 2 and 6 - so don't have as many to get hold of as you!). You can read my full review here: http://www.bicycle-cards.co.uk/2017/08/2......-review/
http://www.morethanmagic.co.uk

It's not what you do but the way that you do it!
robert1996lb
View Profile
New user
Quakertown, PA
23 Posts

Profile of robert1996lb
I have several books of Nick Trost, his The Card Magic of Nick Trost, and Subtle Card Creations, Volume 1 & 2. Right now a favorite I have performed several times is Cards of Coincidence page 58 of subtle card creations vol.1, this is a killer. I like these type of card tricks, I know there is set ups on some of these but they are awesome. Now this leads me to my next question Trost as 6 of these volumes are any of the others 3,4,5,or 6 better or are all about the same. Looking to buy but I am on a budget. I did just pick up Steve Beam's book Semi-automatic card tricks volume one real cheap used, haven't looked thru it yet.
Diamond Dan
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Diamond Dan
Can someone post the TOC for Volume 6?

TIA.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2017, Diamond Dan wrote:
Can someone post the TOC for Volume 6?

It's listed above in DavidKenney's post.
Diamond Dan
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Diamond Dan
A list of chapter titles is not a TOC.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
You'd like someone to type in all 100 trick titles for you?
Diamond Dan
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Diamond Dan
Not really asking someone to type them in, but feel free to if you like.

Was referring to similar, earlier posts:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......c=575274

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......c=493489

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......c=388485

etc.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
GRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't know this was out! I hope it's available in Europe because shipping to here is obscene.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
I believe there are 3 more scheduled.
StraightTalkMagicReviews
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of StraightTalkMagicReviews
Another brief overview of Volume 6

REVIEW: Nick Trost’s Subtle Card Creations Vol. 6
RATING: 9 out of 10
LINK TO REVIEW: http://straighttalkmagicreviews.com/subt......k-trost/
At Straight Talk Magic Reviews we tell it to you straight and do not sell any product. Visit us for magic product reviews only at www.straighttalkmagicreviews.com or at https://www.facebook.com/groups/StraightTalkMagicReviews/
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
898 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
This is a fantastic book. I bought the entire series (except for volume 1, hard to find) mainly for the gambling and poker deals, and believe me, this series does not disappoint.
Some of my favourites from this volume include Texas Hold'Em poker deal, in which the performer removes 16 cards from a seemingly shuffled deck, the spectator gets to choose the cards for the 4 poker hands, and the rest of the community cards are dealt, with burning of the cards, as per proper Hold'Em procedure, and the performer wins with four aces. Easy to do, set up is a breeze! Another few that I really like are the Trost Blackjack and Poker Demo (very realistic type of deal because the spectators discard and draw cards for their hands as well, I love these kinds of deals), Wild Bill Dead Man's Hand (uses the gilbreath principle), the Curse of Scotland and Brag and Poker Deal.
The 'Gilbreath Plays Poker part 3' chapter is one of the longest chapters in this book, has over 20 routines.
This latest volume is a great investment for those looking for card effects which are high caliber, but not at all difficult to do.
Highly recommended!

Mor
LarryD
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of LarryD
I'd like to explore this series, but I'm not sure what the best procedure would be. With well over 600 tricks described isn't there a lot of repetition of methods? Would it be best to start with Vol 2 (Vol 1 not easily obtainable any more)? Is any volume of the set significantly better than any other? All opinions appreciated.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Trost Subtle Card Creations Vol. 6 (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL