The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The "Best" Methods and Devices for Mentalism (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
I love tools. Actual physical tools used to build or fix something. My tool bag is filled with lot of different tools, some simple and inexpensive. Others quite sophisticated and pricey.

Some of the more expensive tools in my kit I just "had to have" when I saw them. Hand crafted. Polished to a mirror finish. Genuine Corinthian leather case. Clever in design.

But the tools I use most of the time are not the expensive, clever ones, rather, the most simple, cheap and arguably mundane: the screwdriver, pliers and hammer. But I use them most because they are, well, useful for getting most jobs done.

There are some exceptions, of course. But exceptions don't make the rule.

It occurred to me mentalism methods and devices are very similar in concept. For those of us passionate about mind reading, it's often hard to resist reading about the latest new method, wallet, technique, book, download, DVD, etc. It might even be hard to resist making the purchase.

Yet how many of the methods, devices, books and DVDs do you or I have but hardly use? How many hundreds or thousands of dollars have you spent learning "new" (or not so new) methods and acquiring new props...that just sit in the drawer or collect dust on the shelf?

What I've come to realize is the "best" method, device, course, book, DVD or anything else mental is the one that is a solid fit for me, which I actually use regularly and get value from. Increasingly, these are routines and methods of my own creation, that are designed with a specific set of requirements then engineered to meet those unique requirements. They fit my style and approach perfectly. Others might not like the look or feel at all. But they work really well, for me.

I'll probably continue to buy new material from time to time. There are some creators whose thinking I just love. But beyond those handful of genius thinkers, for the most part I will increasingly create my own methods that work "best" for me.

Before you spend another $100 or $200 on the latest p**k wallet or ID, you may consider asking yourself these questions:

- What do I want to do with this new device? How exactly will I use it?

- What methods or devices do I already own that could achieve the same result?

- If I were to design the perfect routine (for me) to use this new method or device, what would that routine look like?

- If I were to engineer the ideal method to achieve the desired effect, where would I start, using the knowledge I already have?

- How could I combine multiple methods to make the effect as deceptive as possible?

Food for thought. Consider challenging yourself to develop something new. Just for you.

You might be surprised with what you create.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Great post Stunninger.
Im all about principals and methods myself.
I love usings tools only in my mind.
Todd
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1065 Posts

Profile of sbays
I think we all have fallen into this trap at some point. Then we eventually evolve and know what we "need" and do not need for our acts. We stop wanting every new gadget, and we filter our purchases through the eyes who we are as performers, and we know what will fit with our characters and performing styles. It is very liberating when this time comes. I buy very little these days. And when I do buy, I know it is something I will use at some point.

With all of the high tech electronics out there, there is very little they can do that you can not achieve with a little thought and a few slips of paper. Electronics have their place don't get me wrong. But to become reliant on them is handicapping yourself. There is only one electronic thingy that I use all of the time, but other than that I stick with the classic methods of mentalism. Which by the way is far more satisfying to perform.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3235 Posts

Profile of NeilS
What fantastic advice Stunninger. In fact, some of the most satisfying routines I have presented are those I have created or tweaked to fit in with my style and theme rather than have bought 'ready made.'
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Great thoughts Stunninger.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
SilasJude
View Profile
New user
Buffalo
97 Posts

Profile of SilasJude
Along the same grain, I feel like many mentalists do not trust themselves to innovate. Many people will be satisfied with what the market offers and if the market doesn't offer it, they say "oh well" or complain that their need isn't satisfied. I think it would be fair to say that many talented performers believe that anything THEY create will never be as good as what others have already put out. For our own sake and that out the entire community, I feel everyone should trust themselves a little more and consider making their own version of something if the need currently isn't filled
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Thanks a lot bro!! You ruined everything!! Now what am I going to do with all my "stuff"?
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
John, since you don't need your stuff any more, you can give it all to me. (Your only obligation is to pay the postage!)

George
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2017, George Hunter wrote:
John, since you don't need your stuff any more, you can give it all to me. (Your only obligation is to pay the postage!)

George

Much obliged George. 100 sponge balls are fairly light. They are all yours. I'll have to keep my ProMystic and Taylor imagineering stuff. Haha
Raum
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Raum
I would add:
- Look for something similar in Jinx.
Kai
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Kai
There is a big difference between collector of magic and performer of magic.
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1291 Posts

Profile of Robb
The only things I buy these days are books... Rarely a marketed device, although I did pickup Angelo Carbone's "The Gift" as I had a specific routine idea for it. I was generously given a SvenPad (KOD Memo pad) but haven't found a use for it yet, so it's sitting and waiting. I use my own GOLDEN quite often... other than that, it's all billets, envelopes and other mundane stuff. Honestly don't even use any of the half dozen nw's I have very often.

I do think we can fall into the "latest and greatest" trap quite easily and it can become a real distraction from what we should be working on to become better performers. I think a good book though is almost always a good investment. Even if you don't use a single routine in it, you'll find ideas that will inspire you or can be combined in creative ways to create something uniquely your own.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I've always found the arts and crafts side of things to be the most fun. Learning how to make your own envelopes, test out the best paper,glue, and all the behind the scenes stuff that goes with it..

Self sufficiency is one of the best things for me. And the time to sit and experiment, practice, workshop/test in different environments...That side of things, mixed in with as many books as possible, and tracking down rare and unusual pamphlets and booklets to enhance your education and enjoy visualising what you read before you put it into practice.

Though I'm no longer a mentalist and haven't been for a while, I have a love for classic mentalism and for it be presented correctly on its own terms.
I've asked to be banned
Max Wells
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of Max Wells
Iain, If you're no longer a mentalist what are you then?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Don't really care to be honest, it's just a handy reference/term to be used behind the curtain...In the UK, the term is often used for something else...

So, I give readings, it's either by their drawings or playing cards...Plus a few other things thrown in...

Weirdly, calling yourself a cartomancer is kinda fun...

I don't really bother with the labelling, not a pro, got my own way of doing things and I just get on with it...

Plus, depending on who you ask, I am a few swear words joined together or a lovely chap 😀

And there's stuff in mentalism that I fundamentally disagree with, but you kinda can't discuss it here without​ it imploding and egos getting in the way...

I do believe that character and the logic from that character is all important, it should inform every single thing we do, say and project...

Long answer, sorry...
I've asked to be banned
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2017, Max Wells wrote:
Iain, If you're no longer a mentalist what are you then?

-Batman?
-Darth Vader?
-Mephistopheles!

252RuiningAway

-Theodore Annemann
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
I'm going with Mentopheliac for myself.
Dibs.

And...what was the topic again?

252Sleep

-Theodore Annemann
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The "Best" Methods and Devices for Mentalism (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL