The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Children Do Imitate What They See (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Girl (10) lucky to be alive after attempting Chris Angel trick

http://www.cbs8.com/story/35191183/girl-......ic-trick
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Kids imitating magicians is nothing new. I don't understand why performers would use something that is potentially dangerous.
RealityOne
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of RealityOne
You've got to love quality reporting... anyone reading it has to question how her description of what she was trying to do matches up with the effect done by Criss in that she wasn't intending to swallow the coin: "I'm doing a magic trick and the challenge for you guys is to figure it out,' Morgan tells a camera that captured the ordeal. I’m going to put the coin in my mouth. When I spit it out, it's going to be two coins. Ready?' The trick she was trying to copy is believed to be one where Criss Angel is seen swallowing a quarter before making it reappear in his arm."

No statement that she actually saw Criss perform any effect or she said what she was tryiing to imitate. But no need to let facts get in the way of a good story.
~David

Any perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Yes they will copy. I’m sure she told her parents or some of the medical people where she got the idea from.
I can’t see them not asking.

Tom
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
I'd like to see Angel swallow his hat.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2017, jakeg wrote:
Kids imitating magicians is nothing new. I don't understand why performers would use something that is potentially dangerous.

I agree. I do not understand why some so called performers do the balloon swallowing effect in their act in front of kids. Balloons are the #1 toy kids die from. The best I can say is they have no heart for children.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Take it from the experts:

Dr. Greene
https://www.drgreene.com/dangers-balloons/
Fisher Price
http://www.fisher-price.com/en_US/parent......angerous

It does not matter the brand, shape, size, manufacture or the color of the balloon. Latex balloons are the #1 choking hazard of children. No I am not making this up. Read the links above. I can see a performer with a heart replacing that effect for something that is entertaining when performing for children. Save the effect for adult shows instead.

I just don't understand why those so called performers would include swallowing balloons in their act for a measly $100. They must not be looking at the kids as "The Little Darlings." To me it is not worth risking a kid's life for a few bucks, a $100, a million dollars, not even all the money in the world. I love kids and would hate to see a child loose his or her life from copying a so called performer swallowing a balloon.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2239860
"We describe four children who died of suffocation by rubber balloons in Canada between 1983 and 1988. In the United States, at least 121 children have died in a similar manner in the 15 years between 1973 and 1988 according to a report by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission. Although the highest mortality occurred among infants, 30 (25%) of the 121 deaths occurred in children 6 years of age or older. Balloons account for 43% of the approximately 15 childhood deaths related to children's products that are documented each year by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Toy rubber balloons are thus the leading cause of pediatric choking deaths from children's products. Preventive efforts should be directed toward a ban on this type of balloon and the development of safer alternatives. Meanwhile, public information campaigns should alert parents, physicians, and policymakers to the dangers of toy rubber balloons."
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
I stoped useing balloons for several facts- POP_--_CRY!! Choking - so I learned to cartoon - any animal requested by the audience - I would draw it in front of all- jokeing if a child requested a monkey I'd say 'hold still' L-O-L-- snake would have a baby bonnet and baby rattle at its tail- Lion would be stick skinny with a bow tie'dandy lion' once a child asked for a 'toumecium'(sp?)(one celled animal ) so I drew '2 mice - see em!' L-O-L fun fun fun - also our name and phone number was printed at the bottom- many times received a call because the drawing was on the kids Refridg(sp?) Help yourself - any comments pm me. Ralph(russo)Rousseau
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2017, Russo wrote:
I stoped useing balloons for several facts- POP_--_CRY!! Choking - so I learned to cartoon - any animal requested by the audience - I would draw it in front of all- jokeing if a child requested a monkey I'd say 'hold still' L-O-L-- snake would have a baby bonnet and baby rattle at its tail- Lion would be stick skinny with a bow tie'dandy lion' once a child asked for a 'toumecium'(sp?)(one celled animal ) so I drew '2 mice - see em!' L-O-L fun fun fun - also our name and phone number was printed at the bottom- many times received a call because the drawing was on the kids Refridg(sp?) Help yourself - any comments pm me. Ralph(russo)Rousseau

What a great idea.

And there are books out there on how to draw simple cartoons.

Tom
Walt D
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Walt D
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2017, jakeg wrote:

It depends on how one defines "potentially dangerous"--are you talking about things that are potentially dangerous to the performer or to children who attempt to imitate it to the best of their ability? There's a pretty big difference.

There are a number of tricks that aren't the least bit dangerous on stage but would be quite dangerous if a child attempted to duplicate them without the props or gimmicks; sawing someone in half springs to mind immediately as the most obvious example. We all know that we aren't watching someone actually get split in half, but does a child? Where's the line on what should/shouldn't be done because someone might imitate it?

Quote:
On Apr 25, 2017, Dynamike wrote:
I am not here to argue with you. I am not even here to get you to change your heart about thinking twice for children. I am just here to post facts about the title of this thread. The following is what reads on a bag of 260 balloons:

"WARNING:
CHOKING HAZARD
Children under 8 years
can choke or suffocate on
uninflated or broken balloons.
Adult supervision required.
Keep uninflated balloons
from children. Discard broken
balloons at once."

And you mention children watching a so called performer swallow 260 balloons is not dangerous for our loved ones.

The existence of a disclaimer on a product's packaging doesn't mean that the particular product in question is actually harmful. A cost/benefit analysis between putting a useless disclaimer on packaging vs packaging missing a needed disclaimer will explain that nicely.

Also, all balloons aren't created equal. I can easily see how a standard party balloon, which is fuller and rounder, could pose a different hazard than a 260 balloon, which is thinner and longer.

In my opinion, there's a difference between a "better safe than sorry" attitude and a "won't someone think of the children" attitude.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Walt, something is really telling me you joined the Magic Café just to come add to this thread to defend so called performers who do balloon swallowing. You want your statement to be it is not dangerous for kids. I have a strong feeling I know who you are. But no problem, I will go with the flow.

It does not matter the size or the shape of a latex balloon. Children can watch someone swallow a balloon at a party. When that child gets home he/she can imitate swallowing a balloon also no matter what type it is. It might or might not be a 260 balloon. It is still the so called performer's fault for showing something foolish in front of children.
Walt D
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Walt D
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2017, Dynamike wrote:
Walt, something is really telling me you joined the Magic Café just to come add to this thread to defend so called performers who do balloon swallowing. You want your statement to be it is not dangerous for kids. I have a strong feeling I know who you are. But no problem, I will go with the flow.

It does not matter the size or the shape of a latex balloon. Children can watch someone swallow a balloon at a party. When that child gets home he/she can imitate swallowing a balloon also no matter what type it is. It might or might not be a 260 balloon. It is still the so called performer's fault for showing something foolish in front of children.

Something can tell you that all you want, but this isn't the first thread I posted in upon joining, and it's the only one on this subject--so if that's the case, I'm doing a terrible job.

I also haven't once defended (or attacked) balloon swallowing. So, again, I'd be doing a terrible job if that's why I joined.

The fact is, whether you're right or wrong, your posts in this thread are full of logical fallacies. Pointing that out, no matter how much you feel like it is, is not the same as telling you that you're entire point is wrong.
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
I guess they do!!!! I Went back to a library I had preformed at last year and one of the little ***s was entertaining for "5 minutes with a Pocket Handkerchief"

Quote:
On Apr 22, 2017, Quentin wrote:
Girl (10) lucky to be alive after attempting Chris Angel trick

http://www.cbs8.com/story/35191183/girl-......ic-trick
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Kids still try to drive cars, but we don't shield them for cars. They see cartoons characters being seriously hurt in bizarre ways all the time. They see all sorts of things on TV. They kill people in video games (as well as race cars). What are we to do? Keep them in padded rooms and let them only watch Sesame Street?

I think fire and sharp objects and peanut butter should not be done with young children, but where do we draw the line? Personally, I think the balloon swallow looks sexual every time I've seen it, and people thought so when I did it at Duke.
Station10
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
198 Posts

Profile of Station10
I understand the concern for having children imitate what they seem a magician or entertainer perform whether it be putting balloons in their mouth, a rope through the neck, needle through the arm, swallowing razor blades, sawing a person in half or any other number of potentially harmful scenarios.

I have worked ems/fire for over 23 years and have ran on many many chocking victims, both kids and adults. The vast majority that I've ran on is because of food. I haven't ran on a single balloon incident. I have had legos, marbles, hot wheels cars, barbie doll head (don't ask how or why they did that) and various other items. Again not saying that balloons can't be dangerous, any object that is small enough to fit into the mouth has the potential to become an airway obstruction.

I think the main thing is we need to be able to identify the audience we are performing for and assess the risk factors involved based upon what we can either observe or get from whoever is booking us. If I am performing at a hospital that has juveniles there because they attempted suicide by cutting themselves I'm definitely NOT going to do any tricks involving knifes, razor blades or needles.
John Gilmore
www.blindeyemagi.com

"I am a great admirer of mystery and magic. Look at this life - all mystery and magic." ~ Harry Houdini

"To Strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield!"
~ Alfred Tennyson
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Amen
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I am glad all of us professionals are against the balloon swallowing effect when it comes to "The Little Darlings." But what about fire effects? In the past I remember someone mentioning just don't let the children see you light the object. In the past I remember someone mentioning just don't do any dangerous stunts with fire. Some members mentioned no fire period in front of kids. What are your recommendations with fire nowadays?
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
I think Barry Mitchell mentioned and recommended using "magic fire" in your act. i.e., fire wallet and not using matches, lighters.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Children Do Imitate What They See (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL