The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Looking for quality dart board cabinet and board. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Not really worried about the board, but looking for a wall mounted cabinet with 2 doors, such as can be seen here:

(pic is not necessarily what I'm looking for specifically, just general size, look)

I've been to the following places:

- 2 locations of Billiard Factory. Very displeased with the quality/workmanship - at least of the ones that I looked at and had interest in.

- Universal Billiards - they do have a good candidate, but they're closed the next 2 days preparing for a "big sale" so couldn't look at it again.

- Dick's Sporting Goods and Cabelas had a few online, but none in the store.

I really want a good quality cabinet. Some I saw at Billiard Factory had very poor fit (cabinet and doors).

My preference has always been not to order something like this online because I can't check fit and finish, etc.... However, if I find a maker who has a great reputation for quality and customer service, I could see myself going in that direction. I just started looking yesterday, so I have much to learn, here.

I can't see myself wanting to spend more than $500 for cabinet and board unless I happen to find one more expensive that I cannot live without Smile Happy to pay less, as well!

Do any of you have any thoughts or recommendations?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Https://www.customdartcabinets.com/

Why not have it made to your specifications?
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Fascinating! Do you (or those close to you) have personal experience with CDC?

Quote:
On May 15, 2017, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Https://www.customdartcabinets.com/

Why not have it made to your specifications?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Some of the military members here have ordered custom (Squadron) cabinets from them. They are within your price range too.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Much appreciated!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I was going to recomend an Amish place that does custom work.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Hard to beat the Amish for anything food-, wood-, or quilt-related.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh absolutely! It is just amazing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Just to conclude, I did end up going with the cabinet & board pictured above. I emailed Custom Dart Cabinets, but didn't hear from them after a few days, so decided to go with this one. CDC did end up returning my inquiry, though.

Now I'm looking at all the different makes/models/weights of darts Smile The set came with a couple of sets of inexpensive darts, and I did get a 23gr Club Brass set made by Harrows. Have to try a (moderately priced) set of the thinner tungsten models...those things can be expensive for a set of 3!

I ordered the cabinet from Amazon, but no shipping box was used! It was like the seller just took the box off the shelf, put on a shipping label and a little packing tape and mailed it that way! It arrived partially opened and partially damaged. Fortunately, the damage is an easy fix with the right glue, and the seller is refunding 50% of the price, so I'm only out a little effort.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Chessmann, when I was a kid, my friend had an old dartboard in his basement. The darts were made of wood with three real feathers on the tail. They had a lead weight on the front end for weight and balance. They were great darts! And you can still buy them....I bought a box for my own dartboard. And you can't beat the price at $25 for a box or a dozen. Actually these are a true American style dart. Most of today's darts are of the type used in England.

http://www.americanstyledarts.com/widdy-darts.html

cheers, bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
pieaddict
View Profile
New user
UK
99 Posts

Profile of pieaddict
That's a nice cabinet.

To help my practice, as I havnt played for years, I have just downloaded an app that you can play against. It's also took me a while to find a dart set up I like.

What do you do to Practise?
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Speaking of dart boards...

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Bob - you know, I saw those the other day as I was surfing on the net. I liked their look, but didn't stop to read anything about them at the time. Be fun to try them out -thanks for the tip!

Pie - I recently downloaded a few dart playing apps, too. I really thought there would be more out there than there are, but the 3 I've got are pretty good. For practicing, I really just play games for variations of games. Last night I went 'around the world' trying to hit the dark sections, clockwise, and then the same with the light sections that are in-between the double- and triple-ring.

Donald - thanks for posting that video. Pretty amazing stuff!
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On May 24, 2017, Chessmann wrote:

Pie - I recently downloaded a few dart playing apps, too.

You play darts on the app (touching a virtual dartboard on your cell), or it tells you what to shoot for? I hope it's the latter.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:

I recently downloaded a few dart playing apps, too.

Upon a second reading, it appears as though the apps are playing darts for you.

:)
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On May 24, 2017, balducci wrote:
Quote:

You play darts on the app (touching a virtual dartboard on your cell), or it tells you what to shoot for? I hope it's the latter.

I hope it's the former. I like to cling to the notion that addition, subtraction, and multiplication aren't lost arts.

It's an easier illusion to maintain if I don't leave the house.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I found the apps useful mostly as a way to get familiar with the rules of the games played with darts.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Here's a fun documentary covering the growth of darts into a 'TV Sport' in the UK.

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On May 25, 2017, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I hope it's the former. I like to cling to the notion that addition, subtraction, and multiplication aren't lost arts.

I was thinking more along the lines of the app telling you what to shoot for in the sense of making a challenging game of darts solitaire for you, not score-keeping.

So for instance, it could optimally randomize what you have to hit next based on shots you've made or missed in the past. It could target the shots / sequences you historically have trouble making.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On May 25, 2017, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's an easier illusion to maintain if I don't leave the house.

It is also easier to maintain if you don't use cash at places and then after they have put the amount in try to give them the change to get back as few coins as possible. It confuses the clerk something fierce.

I had a manager who actually thought I was running a short change routine!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Looking for quality dart board cabinet and board. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL