The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » What's next (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

andrew martin
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of andrew martin
Where can I find the sheet metal to make my own what's next?
Thanks
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Sheet metal store or industrial metal store.
By the time they cut it down to size and you degrees it polish it and paint it - and I’m assuming you’re going to round the corners (radius them) yourself, I would think you will spend more time then you can buy one for.; Then there’s the issue of getting the gimmicks, You;ll need a punch press in order to make the circles nice and round.

Therefore, you must be making something custom, yes?
andrew martin
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of andrew martin
Yes . Bats.It's for Halloween. From a book called spooky magic, I think. I
might be best to redo an old what's next.
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Andrew,

Alro Metal Outlet in Ann Arbor has every size, thickness and composition you could want. Lots of 12x12 pieces on the shelves. Pretty sure they will cut etc for a fee.

https://g.co/kgs/xzCo6g

Karl Rabe
andrew martin
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of andrew martin
Thanks Karl
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Make your bats of stiff felt loaded with the stuff that makes them cling and you can cut them out with scissors. Try making them black on one side and different colors on the other sides and you may have even more fun in store. More ideas are in "Exposing What's Next" by Spellbinder in The Wizards' Journal #20.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
It’s not cutting a rectangle that’s difficult, It’s rounding the corners uniformly that’s not easy. Most industrial metal shops don’t have that capability… I do but I have too many tools for my one good.
If you don’t have old school punches then your best bet is to get the metal water jetted. Sharp corners are just not acceptable on this prop.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Another idea is to use metal shim that comes in rolls (.004-.10). This can be easily cut with tin snips to any shape you want, even a circle. Glue card stock to the front and back. The shim only needs to cover part of the card stock. I've used similar technique in several effects including The Clock of Alexander
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Along the lines of Larry's suggestion I was thinking magnets are available so small and thin these days you could embed them between two pieces if cardboard and use washers for the dots. They would be self positioning.

I bought some of these the other day just to experiment with.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291769873581?_tr......IDX%3AIT
GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
but he still can't help build a border wall with only
313 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Quote:
On May 21, 2017, TheRaven wrote:
Along the lines of Larry's suggestion, I was thinking magnets are available so small and thin these days you could embed them between two pieces if cardboard and use washers for the dots. They would be self-positioning.

That's a great idea but they wouldn't be self-positioning with any precision. To do that you would need to do a magnet in the board and one in the dot then they would self-position exactly.
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

It's a fact! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
(This line censored by Dave Scribner because it is in Latin) - What you believe is real, is real!
Who was that masked man and what is he all about? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » What's next (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL