The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » 21st Century Canasta by Mark Elsdon (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2018, pegasus wrote:
I thought perhaps that entering the passcode was part of how the app worked?

There is no special app. The apps are normal every day app that 90% of smart phone users have on their phones already.
National First Vice President
The Society of American Magicians
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Apps are rubbish imo even the best are still transparent to most these days no
matter how good you think you are at selling the effect Tarik 🙂
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
It’s just a way to do this effect with a phone opposed to wallets - predictions etc.
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2018, Tarik Flash wrote:
Apps are rubbish imo even the best are still transparent to most these days no
matter how good you think you are at selling the effect Tarik 🙂

You know that there are not special magic apps in use here?
National First Vice President
The Society of American Magicians
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
817 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
I Salute Mark Eldson for this effect.
And, I thank him for releasing it!

At first I thought hymmmm something is up with this before I took the plunge and wasn't sure about getting it.

To my surprise. It really does work 100% of the time unless as Mark says... "You are really unlucky."
Seriously, it is a WINNER and surpassed my expectations with its directness and simplicity.
Even the worse case scenario is covered and it is great. So yeah 100% Solid!

I am more than happy with Mark Eldson's 21st Century Canasta.

Thanks, Mark!!! Two Thumbs up!!!!
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2018, Nick-V. wrote:
I Salute Mark Eldson for this effect.
And, I thank him for releasing it!

At first I thought hymmmm something is up with this before I took the plunge and wasn't sure about getting it.

To my surprise. It really does work 100% of the time unless as Mark says... "You are really unlucky."
Seriously, it is a WINNER and surpassed my expectations with its directness and simplicity.
Even the worse case scenario is covered and it is great. So yeah 100% Solid!

I am more than happy with Mark Eldson's 21st Century Canasta.

Thanks, Mark!!! Two Thumbs up!!!!

####################################################################################
Not sure how its possible to be "really unlucky" if the 'worst case scenario' is covered???
Use the FORCE Luke.
patapon
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
135 Posts

Profile of patapon
Great trick, you can learn it in 2 minutes and perform it right after!

For those who are not keen on using the mobile phone to do the reveal, I have been using this "principle" in a way that does not use a phone - I ask spectators to examine the deck, and confirm that there are only 2 "Jokers" in the deck. I then tell them that no matter how they shuffle, they will always cut to the Joker if they do it "intuitively".

Then one by one, as the deck is passed to them, they will shuffle and cut, and find that they have cut to the Joker!

I get days when everyone who tries (usually between 6-8 people), cuts to the Joker. On my worse day, I have no more than 1 person who does not cut to the Joker on the first attempt; I would then either ask him/her to cut again (in most cases, they will now cut to the Joker), or just write it off as he/she did not do it "intuitively". There was actually a day when a spectator cut 3 times and did not cut to the Joker, in which case you could say he/she is the "anti-Joker", and no matter how many times he/she cuts, he/she will NOT cut to the Joker. When this is compared to the others who do cut to the Joker, it would look like getting someone NOT to cut to the Joker is part of the effect!

Note that you are free to use any card(s) in the deck.

This one never fails to get great reactions!
patapon
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
135 Posts

Profile of patapon
However, the variation which I use more often is the "Jedi Test" Smile

I tell the audience that I am going to test them for Jedi powers, and if they use the "force", they will find the lightsaber (I use the 4 Aces for this) when they cut the deck.

I do this in 2 phases:
- Phase 1, I pass the deck around to different spectators to see if they have the "force". If you get 1-2 who do not cut to an Ace, I simply say that the force is not in them Smile
- Phase 2, I am now testing how strong is the force in those who cut to an Ace in the first round.For this, I ask each of them to cut 4 times, and you will get the most amazing reactions even if 1 of them cuts to an Ace 4 times in a row!

Hope you enjoy this as much as I do!
patapon
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
135 Posts

Profile of patapon
Here is the same effect (without using any mobile phone), modified to an Easter Bunny Egg Hunt, where kids and their parents can play along at home!

https://youtu.be/P_xZvmfkQt8

Notes:
1. In a live performance, kids cut the deck to find the egg. I never touch the deck at all!

2. There will sometimes be some kids that don't follow your instructions on how to correctly cut the deck, so they will not find the egg. As such, you need a story line that caters for this (such as the kid does not have the bunny force ;-) )

3. When you do this with 3 or more kids, there will always be one/more who will find the eggs. Most will be happy to have found just one egg.

4. But on days when a kid finds all the 4 eggs, trust me, they (and their parents) will swear they have just experienced real magic!

I have done the Star Wars version over a hundred times, and in 100% of the time, one/more people do find the lightsaber; but you will be surprised that in at least 70% of the time, someone will find all 4 lightsabers! That's the stats.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
I just purchased this while on sale for $5. Performed it flawless for the Mrs and also for a fellow magician. I love the effect.

One issue on the apps. I had to research how to turn off app notifications to prevent the prediction from getting lost in the stream Smile If this was mentioned in the explanation I did not catch it !

Phil
JuanPoop
View Profile
Loyal user
Luckily for you, I only have
216 Posts

Profile of JuanPoop
Late again … as usual …

I just picked this up from Illusionist for USD $5, which is a bargain I reckon.

I had a pretty solid idea of how it worked and Mark’s video filled in any small gaps I had. I particularly like that the deck for this trick can continue to be used for subsequent tricks (something that niggled me about “The Trick That Can Be Explained”).

I read through this thread prior to purchasing, which helped with the decision. However, one thing that I have been thinking about is alternative reveal methods with the smart phone. I have an iPhone and can easily set up the required work, but having just 4 apps sitting on a screen looks a tad fishy to me. I will try before deciding, but am keen to hear how others are using their phone to reveal without going through the apps process.
aka Lucky John
Sydney, Australia
JuanPoop
View Profile
Loyal user
Luckily for you, I only have
216 Posts

Profile of JuanPoop
And furthermore . . .

Any ideas for revealing your prediction without a phone would be welcome too ! ! Smile
aka Lucky John
Sydney, Australia
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » 21st Century Canasta by Mark Elsdon (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL