The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Source for String for Scarne book trick? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
On page 72 of _Scarne's Magic Tricks_ there's a great string trick called "Stringing a String." I used to do this trick years ago, but haven't been able to find the right kind of string. Scarne just says "the best type of string is the fairly thick kind, which is made up of several thin strands"--but none of the spools of string that I've found at Home Depot and Lowe's is the kind I used to use. I wonder if maybe "Baker's Twine" is what I should use.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
What is the effect that you want to do? (I don't have Scarne's book)

Is this a cut and restored effect? as is in Wilson's Book? If so, you don't need the thickest string, but you do want something w/at least 10 strands. But the number of strands needed is driven by the appearance of the prepared string. I just bought from different sources (hardware store, Wall Mart..)

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
If this is the trick I am thinking, kitchen twine or similar cotton twine.

There are cotton crochet yarns that work, too. Check a yarn shop if all else fails.

Patrick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Source for String for Scarne book trick? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL