The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Vernon's elbows (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
I've found another discussion of this elsewhere. The story seems to be that Vernon was walking across a plank while carrying two buckets of mercury. But the fact that a gallon of mercury weighs about 113 pounds makes this a little hard to believe. It's clear he was seriously injured, and a construction accident is certainly a plausible cause, but I'm not sure I'm buying buckets of mercury thing. While mercury shows up in buildings, it's because it's inside lighting, thermostats, switches, etc. I can't find any reason to have buckets of the stuff at a worksite.

I guess they built a mercury fountain for the 1937 World's Fair in Paris, and I've read that in Islamic Spain there were reflecting pools of mercury. Mercury was also used for a frictionless surface for moving mirrors in light houses. So I guess it's not impossible that Vernon would have been carrying mercury. But it certainly seems more likely that he was carrying something less mysterious and that the story got better in the telling.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I would agree with that assessment. Vernon was not above 'embroidering' his tales in the retelling.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Maybe he was referring to Mercury Buckets, meaning the type of tin pail made by the Mercury Tool Company. They could have been carrying nails or something:

JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
That makes more sense than buckets of mercury...
" I was carrying two Mercury buckets...." sounds exactly like something with which Vernon would have started a story!
Brilliant analysis.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Great thread
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Vernon's elbows (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL